Reload this Page >

High Speed Trains in China

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

High Speed Trains in China

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:52 pm

The Japanese managed, in crowded Tokyo no less.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:25 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
High speed rail needs high speed tracks which means new right-of-way. Putting that in a city center is expensive!
Hmm, what you're saying is, China pre-Xi, no prob, but now (the new Futian-HK line excluded), bad news...
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Hmm, what you're saying is, China pre-Xi, no prob, but now (the new Futian-HK line excluded), bad news...
Somewhat fairly paying for land acquisition predates Xi by a solid 15 years.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Remember, though, China tore down and rebuilt just about everything--that gave them a window to build tracks into the cities at a reasonable cost.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:06 pm

HSR-focused stations are often in the middle of nowhere, so as to promote growth in that area.

I have many bad memories hauling luggage from CAN and SZX to Guangzhou South and Shenzhen North...
I am not suggesting that the stations are not in a good location for the residents that make up the vast majority of the customers for the line. I am just pointing this out to potential foreign tourists who are used to train stations being very conveniently located in city centers, where the tourists are. It is not necessarily bad, but it is worth knowing in advance if deciding between a train or plane.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM
How many decades ago was this? I was there last year. Same as most other trains stations in China. modern and well signed. Two subway stops away from the city center and not much security.
I was there two weeks ago. The main signs had English, but the destination board in the main ticketing room at Chengdu East was strictly Mandarin. This made it much more difficult for me to know which train to request. There may have been another destination board inside the station which alternated, but I could not find out since you need a ticket to get into the station. Even the board in the bus station alternated, much like the airport, so I am not sure why the main train station did not have this feature. You must have a much looser definition of the city center; it took about 30 minutes to reach from Luomashi.

Last edited by downinit; Dec 5, 2018 at 2:26 pm
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:28 pm

Yes, when it comes to buying as opposed to boarding, finding the schedule can be difficult. Larger stations may have electronic signs in the ticket office, but they are often hard to follow, rotating constantly through the day's schedule. Smaller stations may have nothing in the ticket office: you have to line up and ask. Since just about everyone in China uses the online schedule, this isn't a practical problem for just about everyone.

So to repeat, the message is: get onboard and buy online.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 889
Yes, when it comes to buying as opposed to boarding, finding the schedule can be difficult. Larger stations may have electronic signs in the ticket office, but they are often hard to follow, rotating constantly through the day's schedule. Smaller stations may have nothing in the ticket office: you have to line up and ask. Since just about everyone in China uses the online schedule, this isn't a practical problem for just about everyone.

So to repeat, the message is: get onboard and buy online.
Bingo!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.