Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Transit Beijing without Boarding Pass

Old Oct 7, 18, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Oneworld Emerald, *A Gold, Sixt Platinum, Etihad Gold

Hey, I'm about to travel to Korea via Beijing (TXL-PEK-PUS) on Hainan and Asiana on one ticket. During check-in my luggage was sent all the way to Busan, but they could only give me the boarding pass for the first leg (TXL-PEK). Are there ticket counters airside so I can get my Asiana Boarding Pass or do I have to get a transit visa and check in landside?

Sorry, but this got me worrying a bit (although I have enough time).

Thanks, Hans
Old Oct 7, 18, 10:57 am
Ambassador, China

Programs: various
If you are arriving at PEK on Hainan Airlines that will be in Terminal 2. Departure from Asiana Airlines will be from PEK Terminal 3. You will need to have a copy of your onward itinerary (print out of an email ticket confirmation is fine), fill out a blue Transit Without Visa arrival card (available in the T2 Arrival Immigration area). If there is a manned Transit Without Visa Queue when you arrive, use that and show the above plus your passport. They will stamp you in for your transit since you must leave the sterile area (and in fact the airport) to accomplish the terminal switch. At Terminal 3, you will go to the Asiana counters to get your boarding pass, then proceed to the people mover to get to the international part of the terminal where you'll go through Exit Immigration to get stamped out, then security and then into the sterile boarding gate area.

Are you absolutely sure that your luggage is being automatically transferred? Because T2 to T3 international switches usually come with a requirement to pick up your bags at T2 Bag Claim, go through Customs, and proceed using the interterminal shuttle to T3 for recheck in with Asiana when you get your boarding pass. I hope you have enough time. It's best to have 2.5 to 3 hours to accomplish an intl-to-intl switch from T2 to T3. If you do have this kind of time, you might consider having your luggage only checked to PEK so any doubts about autotransfer are removed, even though it's a bit of extra physical labor on your part to handle the terminal switch.
The_Mileonaire likes this.
Old Oct 7, 18, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks a ton for the response & explanation! So I guess I will definitely have to go landside via transit visa, change terminals and then check in again at the Asiana counters. Time shouldn't be an issue, I got 6 hours in Beijing.

My bag is definitely checked all the way to Busan, it's correctly written like that on the baggage tag I got. It feels super odd though that my luggage gets a ticket for both legs, while I can't...
Old Oct 7, 18, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The_Mileonaire View Post
Thanks a ton for the response & explanation! So I guess I will definitely have to go landside via transit visa, change terminals and then check in again at the Asiana counters. Time shouldn't be an issue, I got 6 hours in Beijing.

My bag is definitely checked all the way to Busan, it's correctly written like that on the baggage tag I got. It feels super odd though that my luggage gets a ticket for both legs, while I can't...
You might not need to go landside if you can find the T2-T3 bus that was mentioned in this forum about 6 weeks ago. You definitely won't be issued a transit visa on arrival, but you can transit without a visa.
Old Oct 8, 18, 2:02 am
Ambassador, China

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
You might not need to go landside if you can find the T2-T3 bus that was mentioned in this forum about 6 weeks ago. You definitely won't be issued a transit visa on arrival, but you can transit without a visa.
He won't have a boarding pass for the onward flight though. If the T2-T3 Mystery Bus (amazing how only one person seems to have found a way to take this thing) goes from secure airside to secure airside--where is OP going to get his Boarding Pass?
Old Oct 8, 18, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Quick update: you were right about going through transit and then changing terminals airside. And you actually saved my ... with my luggage as I indeed found it on the carousel in Beijing, despite being labeled all the way to Busan (never trust anyone in TXL...). Thanks a ton!

Cheers from Beijing!

PS: when I was transiting there actually was a sign for international transfers airside, but that exit was closed without any additional info. Maybe that's where the ominous airside terminal bus used to operate?
Old Oct 8, 18, 3:32 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Quick update: you were right about going through transit and then changing terminals airside. And you actually saved my ... with my luggage as I indeed found it on the carousel in Beijing, despite being labeled all the way to Busan (never trust anyone in TXL...). Thanks a ton!

Cheers from Beijing!

PS: when I was transiting there actually was a sign for international transfers airside, but that exit was closed without any additional info. Maybe that's where the ominous airside terminal bus used to operate?
Though it was tagged all the way it can occur in many situations that a bag needs to be collected and re-dropped on an itinerary, this is more common with domestic connections where one must collect the bag to clear customs, then drop it again, even though the tag already has the domestic connection on it
Old Oct 9, 18, 1:15 pm
Ambassador, China

If OP had had a T3 to T3 intl connection on the same ticket, it would have been autotransferred without having to pick it up at PEK. If you have the extra time and are in this Terminal switch situation, it pays to check the incoming Bag Claim just in case they come out, regardless of how the originating airport tagged them.
Old Oct 11, 18, 9:26 am

i have a flight from GRR to ORD on united, ORD TO VIE on austrian, VIE to PEK on air china, and PEK to WNZ (domestic connection) also on air china. It's all on one united ticket.

I actually called air china regarding the checked luggage, they informed me that I do not have to pick it up in beijing. I'm having doubts after reading your comment. It sounds like i would have to pick it up in beijing and recheck it/
Old Oct 11, 18, 8:30 pm
Ambassador, China

Originally Posted by leishi85 View Post
i have a flight from GRR to ORD on united, ORD TO VIE on austrian, VIE to PEK on air china, and PEK to WNZ (domestic connection) also on air china. It's all on one united ticket.

I actually called air china regarding the checked luggage, they informed me that I do not have to pick it up in beijing. I'm having doubts after reading your comment. It sounds like i would have to pick it up in beijing and recheck it/
Your situation is a bit different from the previous poster. He was making an international to international transfer and having to switch terminals. You are making an international to domestic transfer in the same terminal. Standard practice is for you to go through Immigration and pick up your bags at the first port of entry in China (here, PEK) go through Customs then go to domestic departures to recheck. However, Air China does have some intl > domestic connections where you go through Immigration in Beijing and then pick up your bags and go through Customs when you arrive at your domestic destination. This may be one of those combinations. However, if you want to erase all uncertainty, and you have the connection time in Beijing, you might just want to have your bags checked only to Beijing, so you know they will be coming out on the belt, then manually recheck them with Air China domestic from PEK to WNZ.
Old Nov 2, 18, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Quick follow-up question to double check: I'm flying back again with the same routing (ICN - PEK - TXL), which includes a change of terminals again. I guess they won't be able to transfer my luggage again when it's the other way around and I will have to pick it up again, correct?
Old Nov 2, 18, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quick follow-up question to double check: I'm flying back again with the same routing (ICN - PEK - TXL), which includes a change of terminals again. I guess they won't be able to transfer my luggage again when it's the other way around and I will have to pick it up again, correct?
You're probably right, but I wouldn't assume anything because PEK certainly has the ability to transfer bags from one international flight to another.
Old Nov 5, 18, 11:25 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
When doing a CA/CA int. transfer (BKK-PEK-CPH) I suppose you don't need to collect your checked luggage at PEK and are able to stay airside/in the transit area? All within T3 right?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: