Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Tongli Town from Shanghai

Tongli Town from Shanghai

Old Oct 6, 18, 4:43 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 153
Tongli Town from Shanghai

Anybody went to Tongli Town from Shanghai before? Any directions on getting there?
reddevil0728 is offline  
Old Oct 6, 18, 8:30 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: China and Canada
Posts: 1,779
There must be direct buses. Or you take the high-speed train to Suzhou (20-30 minutes) and take the subway to the Tongli stop.
JPDM is offline  
Old Oct 6, 18, 8:31 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 153
Originally Posted by JPDM View Post
There must be direct buses. Or you take the high-speed train to Suzhou (20-30 minutes) and take the subway to the Tongli stop.
am looking for detailed instructions or where to find it
reddevil0728 is offline  
Old Oct 6, 18, 8:34 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: China and Canada
Posts: 1,779
What sort of details? You take the subway in Shanghai and get off at the Hongqiao train station. You buy tickets to Suzhou (unless you pre-book already. When you get off in Suzhou, the subway is also attached to the train station. You get on until the Tongli stop. From there it is a short bus ride on a special tourist bus.
JPDM is offline  
Old Oct 6, 18, 8:46 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 153
Originally Posted by JPDM View Post
What sort of details? You take the subway in Shanghai and get off at the Hongqiao train station. You buy tickets to Suzhou (unless you pre-book already. When you get off in Suzhou, the subway is also attached to the train station. You get on until the Tongli stop. From there it is a short bus ride on a special tourist bus.
Ah this is good. Do you have any more details of this special tourist bus? i.e. ticket price, operating hours, how to identify it etc?
reddevil0728 is offline  
Old Oct 6, 18, 10:42 am
  #6  
Ambassador, China
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beijing
Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Posts: 6,619
https://www.travelchinaguide.com/att...ongli_town.htm

Possibly helpful website. Not trying to be snarky, but for sights like this in heavily travelled, well-infrastructured locations in China, at some point you need to just not worry about every last little detail and figure things out in real-time. This one should be pretty obvious, but in a pinch, even asking a local non-English speaker "Tongli? Tongli?" will get someone to point you/take you to the right place.
jiejie is offline  
Old Oct 6, 18, 10:44 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 153
Hmmm it says...

2. Take Rail Transit Line 4 and get off at Tongli Station. Then transfer to the tourist bus bound for the north entrance of Tongli. If you have the entrance ticket of Tongli Town, you can take the bus for free. The bus departs every 30 minutes between 08:00 and 17:00. Or you can take bus 725 from the subway station, and get off at Shipailou Station. Walk for 200 meters (220 yards) northward and you can see the south entrance of the town.

No details on how to get the tickets.
reddevil0728 is offline  
Old Oct 6, 18, 10:50 am
  #8  
Ambassador, China
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Beijing
Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
Posts: 6,619
Originally Posted by reddevil0728 View Post
Hmmm it says...

2. Take Rail Transit Line 4 and get off at Tongli Station. Then transfer to the tourist bus bound for the north entrance of Tongli. If you have the entrance ticket of Tongli Town, you can take the bus for free. The bus departs every 30 minutes between 08:00 and 17:00. Or you can take bus 725 from the subway station, and get off at Shipailou Station. Walk for 200 meters (220 yards) northward and you can see the south entrance of the town.

No details on how to get the tickets.
Don't worry about it. They'll either sell you the ticket at the point of bus entry, or take you to the right spot. Chinese never pass up an opportunity to take a foreign tourist to a ticket booth and extract payment. In the unlikely event the tourist bus isn't free, it won't be more than a pittance. You can also take a taxi from Tongli station. Or you can just catch a direct tourist bus from Shanghai Stadium or Shanghai Hongkou station and dispense with transfers. Your local Shanghai hotel can call the day before, for the direct tourist bus times for your visit date.
jiejie is offline  
Old Oct 6, 18, 10:51 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 153
Originally Posted by jiejie View Post
Don't worry about it. They'll either sell you the ticket at the point of bus entry, or take you to the right spot. In the unlikely event the tourist bus isn't free, it won't be more than a pittance. You can also take a taxi from Tongli station. Or you can just catch a direct tourist bus from Shanghai Stadium or Shanghai Hongkou station and dispense with transfers. Your local Shanghai hotel can call the day before, for the direct tourist bus times for your visit date.
Sounds good. Thanks!
reddevil0728 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread