24hr TWOV still available for flights stopping in Changsha then CAN Ghanguzou

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

24hr TWOV still available for flights stopping in Changsha then CAN Ghanguzou

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Why do you continue to insist that a visa is needed?
He clearly has no knowledge of the issue being discussed.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JPDM
He clearly has no knowledge of the issue being discussed.
His inability to provide any sort of proof supports your assertion, but CAN has been a soft spot for TWOV on several occasions. While I realize that we are not legally responsible for information that we disperse here, I like to be as accurate as possible.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by jiejie
Yes, but again, that was posted in 2015 so regardless of what it said, an update is needed. As stated back then (and confirmed with real-traveler reports), it was OK to do 24 hours total for CSX+ CAN. Then in 2017-early 2018, this was rescinded so that no multiple-stop transits using CAN (except PEK + CAN combo) were permitted even within 24 hours and language to that effect was in TIMATIC. Then earlier this year, the language disappeared from TIMATIC, implying that CAN + ??? (and vice versa) combos within 24 hours are now OK again. Key word being "implied" since I haven't seen explicit language announcing the reinstatement of CAN as an unrestricted multiple-stop airport. Nor am I expecting any formal announcement.
Thanks for the explanation.

My opinion is that the TIMATIC language restricting CSX/CAN TWOV was added because of capacity/competency issues at CSX dealing with the short 75-minute stopover of CZ332 at CSX. In other words they literally couldn't process the TWOV passengers fast enough in that time window. Presumably that capacity issue has been sorted out. There were reports of passengers being stranded at CSX because immigration couldn't process them in time for the next leg.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
This thread belongs in the TWOV thread. But I'll answer here: Poster above @IluvSQ is wrong that a visa is always required. China has the provision for travelers stopping in more than one airport, to Transit Without Visa as long as scheduled arrival at the first airport to scheduled departure at the last airport is not over 24 hours. An "entry permit" (stamp in the passport) is received at Entry Immigration at the initial arrival airport and cancelled when going through Exit Immigration at the final departure airport.

There used to be language for part of 2017 and early 2018 in TIMATIC that severely restricted multiple stop transits if Guangzhou CAN was one of the stops. That language disappeared months ago, and with no recent anecdotes from anybody having problems with this at CAN, I would postulate that the CSX + CAN sequence is not going to be a problem as long as it's all done within 24 hours. Our wikipost stiill has the warning about this though, not sure why it doesn't merit an update.

However OP, nobody can guarantee you anything when you travel with no visa. Perhaps one of our Chinese-speaking forum members going through CAN (with visa) could pop into Immigration office there and make a direct query as to what the current scoop is on the multiple-stop situation.
Thanks jiejie.I’m in China now and ironically can’t even open the wiki in the TWOV thread (i’m not on a VPN). I was able to have a partial look at it by selecting the ‘edit’ function... but i’m not sureI share your views that what we have is inaccurate. The default TOWV in TIMATIC (that is, the condition appearing first) is to allow transit, but the passenger must remain in the airport. Further down there are qualifications expanding that by allowing an entry permit to eligible passengers. There are now new restrictions in CAN which (IIRC without being able to see the full text) mean SAR Hong Kong and Macau passengers can’t TWOV and have an entry permit through CAN (and some other cities too).So the general warning that you may be required to remain in airside is perhaps still prudent... at least until we have reports of pax using TWOV with entry permit for short stays (under 8 hours etc... conditions which were never mentioned in TIMATIC but imposed locally)Happy to defer though... and i make the comments above from memory rather than seeing the full text.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apologies all for the formatting in the above post... my ISP here doesn’t like FT or the formatting... you’ll have to add your own paragraphs into the above!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Thanks jiejie.I’m in China now and ironically can’t even open the wiki in the TWOV thread (i’m not on a VPN). I was able to have a partial look at it by selecting the ‘edit’ function... but i’m not sureI share your views that what we have is inaccurate. The default TOWV in TIMATIC (that is, the condition appearing first) is to allow transit, but the passenger must remain in the airport. Further down there are qualifications expanding that by allowing an entry permit to eligible passengers. There are now new restrictions in CAN which (IIRC without being able to see the full text) mean SAR Hong Kong and Macau passengers can’t TWOV and have an entry permit through CAN (and some other cities too).So the general warning that you may be required to remain in airside is perhaps still prudent... at least until we have reports of pax using TWOV with entry permit for short stays (under 8 hours etc... conditions which were never mentioned in TIMATIC but imposed locally)Happy to defer though... and i make the comments above from memory rather than seeing the full text.
The restrictions on TWOV for SAR HK and Macau passport holders is a special thing and as you said, isn't limited to CAN. Basically, China views these people as Chinese and wants them to enter on Home Return Permits. So that's kind of off-topic for the matter at hand. I would agree that with respect to the Wikipost, erring on the side of caution is better than interpreting too liberally, or jumping the gun with unwarranted optimism. Again, it would be incredibly helpful if any of our Chinese speakers (Mandarin or Cantonese) finding themselves at CAN bored and lonely with nothing better to do, could pop into Baiyun Immigration office and see what they are enforcing--or supposed to be enforcing--as to TWOV multiple stops in CAN + other Chinese city. Of course this doesn't take the place of TIMATIC language but it could help clarify expectations about what happens upon arrival on a flight routing like the OP presented...or vice-versa with CAN as the first stop.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:10 pm

Of course what counts in this case is probably Changsha's view of the policy, not Guangzhou's, at least in the first instance.

I don't have time at the moment to look it up, but I recall there's an online ask-us-a-question form at many PSB official sites.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The restrictions on TWOV for SAR HK and Macau passport holders is a special thing and as you said, isn't limited to CAN. Basically, China views these people as Chinese and wants them to enter on Home Return Permits. So that's kind of off-topic for the matter at hand. I would agree that with respect to the Wikipost, erring on the side of caution is better than interpreting too liberally, or jumping the gun with unwarranted optimism. Again, it would be incredibly helpful if any of our Chinese speakers (Mandarin or Cantonese) finding themselves at CAN bored and lonely with nothing better to do, could pop into Baiyun Immigration office and see what they are enforcing--or supposed to be enforcing--as to TWOV multiple stops in CAN + other Chinese city. Of course this doesn't take the place of TIMATIC language but it could help clarify expectations about what happens upon arrival on a flight routing like the OP presented...or vice-versa with CAN as the first stop.
Ok! I see the problem now!

It's my error.

The last update was quite significant with the distinction betweet TWOV and TWOV with entry permit attached.

The restriction about multiple cities and CAN has indeed been lifted from TIMATIC, but I didn't make the consequential change in the main wiki. I couldn't even see the wiki properly in China, but now I'm home i can view it.

My oversight and I'll remove that text now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.