Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

International transit via Pek on different airlines. Visa?

Old Sep 29, 18, 1:09 am
Original Poster

I知 flying on a single ticket itinerary with a US passport and checked bags. I知 traveling EWR-PEK on UA89 landing at 13:35. I知 connecting to OZ334 PEK-ICN departing 16:20. Do I need a Chinese Visa? Do I need a 24 hour visa? Are they in the same terminal? Do my bags go straight through? If my inbound is delayed, the only later flights are Air Korea - is it reasonably doable to buy a ticket and make the switch if necessary? I have this last minute itinerary on hold which doesn稚 reveal the terminals. I had a bad experience transiting PEK about 5-6 years ago where I had to leave the sterile area and Re-enter but I had a Chinese visa or I would have been sunk. As I stopped regularly traveling to China, I no longer have a visa. I am worried because I MUST be in Seoul the next morning. Thanks!
Old Sep 29, 18, 9:17 am

Here's a trick: Google. If you google your flight numbers you'll see that they are both in terminal 3. No visa is required for a short transit, even if you leave the sterile area.
Old Sep 29, 18, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Thank you
BEK
Old Sep 30, 18, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by buckeefkane View Post
I知 flying on a single ticket itinerary with a US passport and checked bags. I知 traveling EWR-PEK on UA89 landing at 13:35. I知 connecting to OZ334 PEK-ICN departing 16:20. Do I need a Chinese Visa? Do I need a 24 hour visa? Are they in the same terminal? Do my bags go straight through? If my inbound is delayed, the only later flights are Air Korea - is it reasonably doable to buy a ticket and make the switch if necessary? I have this last minute itinerary on hold which doesn稚 reveal the terminals. I had a bad experience transiting PEK about 5-6 years ago where I had to leave the sterile area and Re-enter but I had a Chinese visa or I would have been sunk. As I stopped regularly traveling to China, I no longer have a visa. I am worried because I MUST be in Seoul the next morning. Thanks!
You can transit China without a visa, and this the most popular topic here.
Old Sep 30, 18, 6:50 am
Ambassador, China

Programs: TG, OZ, UA, AA
--No visa needed for this transit. Tell your inbound airline at boarding you will use Transit Without Visa.
--All in Terminal 3 international area
--Your bags will be tagged through to ICN, no need to deal with them in PEK
--After you deplane, follow the crowd and if you need the onward boarding pass for PEK-ICN, stop at the Airline Transfer Desk to get it. Proceed to the Immigration area and look for the International Transfers <24 hours. They'll look at your passport and boarding pass (no stamping) then send you to security checkpoint. After that, you're back on the secure side of Terminal 3 and can wait it out in lounge if you have access.

--This connection is doable (though tight) in as little as 60 minutes. If your UA flight is delayed into PEK, it's normally because of a delayed departure at EWR. If you're more than 1.5 hours' delayed in getting off the ground there, consider a quick online purchase of a backup ticket. There's usually an 18:10 on CZ (KE codeshare) and a 21:40 on KE (CZ codeshare) but those are in Terminal 2, where you would need to actually enter China using TWOV queue then pick up your bags and do a terminal switch to check in and get boarding pass...which of course takes longer, so be careful about even the 18:10. TWOV requires you to show evidence to Chinese Immigration of your onward ticket--a confirmation printout is best but a screen capture on a phone will do in a pinch.
Old Sep 30, 18, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not only tell your inbound carrier that you will use TWOV, but have a hard copy of your e-ticket receipt for the outbound flight in hand. Do not rely on screen shots, PDF's and the like. Spending the $0.03 in printer ink this may require will be the best $0.03 you spend on your trip.
Old Sep 30, 18, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Thank You so much!!!

Search this Thread