Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Where to buy inexpensive North Face jackets.

Old Sep 21, 18, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

We will be primarily in Shanghai and Beijing. Are there inexpensive North Face items available? If so, what would the approximate cost be?
Old Sep 21, 18, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stoddaj1 View Post
We will be primarily in Shanghai and Beijing. Are there inexpensive North Face items available? If so, what would the approximate cost be?
Where are you staying in each city?
Old Sep 21, 18, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Here are the names of the hotels. Guoman Hotel Shanghai and Four Points by Sheraton Beijing. Thanks
Old Sep 21, 18, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stoddaj1 View Post
Here are the names of the hotels. Guoman Hotel Shanghai and Four Points by Sheraton Beijing. Thanks
In Shanghai, you could try the fake market on Hongmei Lu that is opposite the entrance to Laowai Jie.
Old Sep 22, 18, 7:54 am

Things like North Face jackets are more expensive in China. What you'll find in places like the above are not North Face jackets. Just regular jackets with the name North Face stamped on them. You'll find something similar back home if you go to WallMart, it just won't say North Face in this case.
Old Sep 23, 18, 12:38 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
It used to be legal to bring in one counterfeit item per type. ie: one bag..one jacket: one wallet. Not sure if the law actually changed. But serms CBP is saying the following.
Agents also want to remind people that it's illegal to purchase counterfeit goods. "Bringing (counterfeit goods) into the United States may result in civil or criminal penalties," U.S. Customs and Border Protection said in a release. "Purchasing counterfeit goods supports criminal activities such as money laundering and trafficking in illegal guns and drugs. Remember, if it seems like a steal, it is."

Seen Northface as early as 90s at silk market beijing by embassies. Then new silk market and shanghai xy market..rip xy ..fun place.

nf jacket from xy market circa 2002. $20 Very nice jacket...equivalent quality of $350 retail model. Most likely made by factory licensed in China. Real ykk zipper..real goretex..correct embroidered logo. Probably out the back door production.
Old Sep 23, 18, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Looks like we will try the silk market. Thanks
sinoflyer likes this.
Old Sep 23, 18, 2:14 pm

Recall the Tommy Bahama shirts for sale at XY looked to be real, compared them to same design in US and were identical. $5 in China ...$170 in US.
Luxury brands have a good markup.

Recall in 90s Luxury brands had tiny shops in basement area of high end foreigner hotel in Beijing. Found out they set them up there to establish
trademark rights as they figured China would be getting rich soon.

Never liked the Beijing silk markets...very pushy sales people and inferior grade knockoffs. LoWu was sort of OK, but Shanghai seemed to actually have
authentic merchandise as far as apparel, as its proximity was closest to the factories that produced for foreign brands. The vendors there were not so
aggressive and appeared personable. I would estimate back then 75% of the apparel sold in XY was either seconds, overruns, or back door from contracted
factories for foreign brands. Bag, watch, DVD yao ma? of course junk fake stuff.
Old Sep 23, 18, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Unless you know exactly where the clothes (or any other items) are being manufactured, in which case stuff can slip out to the neighborhood market, the chances are slim that genuine Western-branded merchandise will reach the gray channels. Personally, I only buy no-brand clothes in China, and only when I need them in a pinch. Some of that stuff can be great bargains and terrific quality (probably backdoor production as anacapamalibu mentioned); however, for me, it requires effort and not worth the time to seek them out.

Off topic, I don't expect the kind of bargains that I assume OP is referring to anywhere in China; however, in Bangkok's Chatuchak Market, I've found Ike Behar (one of my current favorite shirtmakers) dress shirts, still with Macy's sales tags on them, for ~ $6 to $10 each. But that stuff came out of bales that the merchant probably paid by the kilo without knowing what's inside or who Ike Behar is.
Old Sep 23, 18, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JPDM View Post
Things like North Face jackets are more expensive in China. What you'll find in places like the above are not North Face jackets. Just regular jackets with the name North Face stamped on them. You'll find something similar back home if you go to WallMart, it just won't say North Face in this case.
I tend to agree. Since I live in China, I end up buying these products on a semi regular basis (I usually shoot for non branded items), but as illogical as it might seem, the US is generally much better (this situation could change soon though).
Old Sep 23, 18, 4:57 pm

Third Shift

Probably not as prevalent these days, but in 90s it was a free for all.

Not exactly counterfeit
Foreign contractors make more products than they're supposed to then sell the excess out the back door. New Balance found out just how hard it can be to shut down the "third shift."

FORTUNE: Not exactly counterfeit - May 1, 2006
Old Sep 23, 18, 7:32 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K
I remember a decade+ ago in Beijing and Shanghai we had a blast with the wildly public fake/cheap markets. These days you can still find fake/cheap luggage, clothes, watches, shoes, and electronics, but they are more hidden. Once you get to these places you find hawkers for the more name brand watches and bags that at least publicly is illegal but still widely available.

It was a life lesson for my kids, they were excited as kids and these day had almost no interest, they learned you get what you pay for. Buy cheap, buy twice or three times and end up spending more, LOL

But do have fun shopping, I still visit a few times a year, just shopping
Old Sep 24, 18, 7:55 am

You can still find famous brands factory over-runs or factory rejects but not in these markets. They are sold online by a seller who a connections with the factory. You need to be a good online shopper to find these, which I am not. But my girlfriend is an expert at this.
Old Sep 25, 18, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by JPDM View Post
You can still find famous brands factory over-runs or factory rejects but not in these markets. They are sold online by a seller who a connections with the factory. You need to be a good online shopper to find these, which I am not. But my girlfriend is an expert at this.
Can find them on Taobao. When eBay started in 95 that was the end of overruns from Taiwan. They call them "fake markets" for an obvious reason.
Old Sep 25, 18, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu View Post
Can find them on Taobao. When eBay started in 95 that was the end of overruns from Taiwan. They call them "fake markets" for an obvious reason.
Taobao is what I meant by you can find them online.

Search this Thread