Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Where to buy inexpensive North Face jackets.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to buy inexpensive North Face jackets.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:55 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
North Face jackets on Taobao 400-500USD

must be that 100% duty on imports

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...cket=10#detail
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JPDM
Things like North Face jackets are more expensive in China. What you'll find in places like the above are not North Face jackets. Just regular jackets with the name North Face stamped on them. You'll find something similar back home if you go to WallMart, it just won't say North Face in this case.
Second this. China, expensive name brand, cheap means it's fake. If you want it just for the name that's one thing, but if you're after the quality of the name brand, forget it.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
nf jacket from xy market circa 2002. $20 Very nice jacket...equivalent quality of $350 retail model. Most likely made by factory licensed in China. Real ykk zipper..real goretex..correct embroidered logo. Probably out the back door production.
How can you tell it's real Goretex?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Second this. China, expensive name brand, cheap means it's fake. If you want it just for the name that's one thing, but if you're after the quality of the name brand, forget it.
I suggest that we don't go into too much detail on this topic because it is a bit taboo, and the powers that be have the ability to track down our offline identities, but I do want to simply opine that fake doesn't always equate with poor quality.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I know many TNF backpacks are made in Vietnam. When we went earlier this year to Danang, there were lots of TNF items for sale at cheap prices, but I have no idea of their authenticity.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:09 pm

How can you tell it's real Goretex?
Was 16 years ago. Its a complicated fabric to manufacture.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
I suggest that we don't go into too much detail on this topic because it is a bit taboo, and the powers that be have the ability to track down our offline identities, but I do want to simply opine that fake doesn't always equate with poor quality.
Here's a breakdown on pricing of the MAGA caps before trademark enforced.
US made version (questionable about that) 30-35
Chinese made sold by US sellers 10 to 15
Ebay Amazon Chinese sellers $1.95 free shipping

Does quality really matter when your'e paying 8% the price of an "original"?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I know many TNF backpacks are made in Vietnam. When we went earlier this year to Danang, there were lots of TNF items for sale at cheap prices, but I have no idea of their authenticity.
Low end labor costs less in Vietnam than China. Good place to move production especially involving sewing. Could be a mass influx of factories to avoid tarrifs in the near future. Not exactly a long distance move.
https://www.ft.com/content/da53939c-8bdb-11e8-bf9e-8771d5404543

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Sep 25, 2018 at 10:04 pm
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Low end labor costs less in Vietnam than China. Good place to move production especially involving sewing. Could be a mass influx of factories to avoid tarrifs in the near future. Not exactly a long distance move.
I sold TNF backpacks for a few years through Amazon when some airline online shopping “malls” had huge mileage bonuses. They were always made in Vietnam, so not a recent development.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

I sold TNF backpacks for a few years through Amazon when some airline online shopping “malls” had huge mileage bonuses. They were always made in Vietnam, so not a recent development.
Doesn't take much effort to move sewing machines. Where ever has best deal...

American Apparel failed..."Ethically Made—Sweatshop Free," with the majority of its products being made internationally. Generally can't make profit in garment manufacturing if labor is $20/hr.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

https://www.ft.com/content/da53939c-...e-8771d5404543
The US cotton quotas were the original impetus for the VN migration, but the new tariffs really raised the bar. I have a number of friends who focus on selling foreign real estate to Chinese people. Of course the US, UK, and Australia are the most desirable markets, but VN and Thailand are hot now.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's a breakdown on pricing of the MAGA caps before trademark enforced.
US made version (questionable about that) 30-35
Chinese made sold by US sellers 10 to 15
Ebay Amazon Chinese sellers $1.95 free shipping

Does quality really matter when your'e paying 8% the price of an "original"?
Depends on what you're doing.

MAGA cap, so what?

North Face Goretex jacket--I don't want to find out it doesn't keep out the rain when the sky unloads rain and hail on us 4 miles from the trailhead (in summer!) I want to know I'm not going to get soaked. Hypothermia is a very real issue in the backcountry.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:22 am

Depends on what you're doing.

MAGA cap, so what?

North Face Goretex jacket--I don't want to find out it doesn't keep out the rain when the sky unloads rain and hail on us 4 miles from the trailhead (in summer!) I want to know I'm not going to get soaked. Hypothermia is a very real issue in the backcountry.
Best to periodically check fabric performance. Time ..use..and cleanliness can cause issues with waterproofing and breathability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.