Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

social credit monitoring system for foreigners?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

I used to think this social credit monitoring system was bad. But then, seeing how foreigners are often jerks (rude in a way they wouldn't be at home), maybe they should institute for foreigners.

Like the guy in front of me at exit immigration, who didn't have his exit form, left all his stuff there to grab it, then proceeded to try to tell the officer "it will only take a little bit of time" and grumbling when he actually had to leave (I think he didn't have a pen either, which finally forced his hand).
He should just be barred from re-entering, or given a warning. All the other people in line who didn't have cards just went to get them (leaving the line), whereas the only white guy has to make a scene.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I used to think this social credit monitoring system was bad. But then, seeing how foreigners are often jerks (rude in a way they wouldn't be at home), maybe they should institute for foreigners.

Like the guy in front of me at exit immigration, who didn't have his exit form, left all his stuff there to grab it, then proceeded to try to tell the officer "it will only take a little bit of time" and grumbling when he actually had to leave (I think he didn't have a pen either, which finally forced his hand).
He should just be barred from re-entering, or given a warning. All the other people in line who didn't have cards just went to get them (leaving the line), whereas the only white guy has to make a scene.
I've rumors that such a system already exists, and foreigners are included in it. China has cameras everywhere, and they're pretty good at facial recognition these days.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I've rumors that such a system already exists, and foreigners are included in it. China has cameras everywhere, and they're pretty good at facial recognition these days.
Actually, I wonder if they are (facial recognition). In the West they noted that their facial recognition cannot distinguish minorities very well, because the dataset they trained them on is mostly Caucasians. I wonder how the Chinese one is like. Do "all white people look alike?"
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: BA - Blue

I've seen the scenario you describe in airports in multiple continents, and by people from pretty much every background...

What bemuses me is that the, admittedly irritating and self-important behaviour would be grounds for refusal of entry??!!!

By the same token: the "typical" Chinese passenger takes 3-5 items of hand baggage with them on flights back to the mainland: usually from massive duty free shopping. This causes delays in closing the flight, hassle etc. Should all the pax (which can be ~50% of the entire flight) be barred for life from travelling with the carrier, and even refused re-entry back to e.g. the UK? Some BA board regulars may think so...but no, this is an over-reaction.

I have no problem in having the rules enforced: don't have your entry documents: back to the line until you do. Surely that's the most appropriate sanction for the behaviour you describe?

tb
drewguy likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trueblu
I've seen the scenario you describe in airports in multiple continents, and by people from pretty much every background...

What bemuses me is that the, admittedly irritating and self-important behaviour would be grounds for refusal of entry??!!!
tb
I actually do not see it. Almost never see Asians acting entitled. They may not have local manners but they do not seem to think the world revolves around them and everybody should do as they wish.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:04 am

I actually do not see it. Almost never see Asians acting entitled. They may not have local manners but they do not seem to think the world revolves around them and everybody should do as they wish.
Tell that to the guy who put his bag under my seat last week.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Tell that to the guy who put his bag under my seat last week.
Haha, the FA on my flight told the people in front of me (bulkhead) they needed to stow their stuff for landing, suggesting they can put it under their seat. Maybe you are misinformed about the rules in China.

But I find there is a difference between being ignorant and just taking advantage of the situation. I think anybody who has had experience with kids can tell the difference.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:18 am

Haha, the FA on my flight told the people in front of me (bulkhead) they needed to stow their stuff for landing, suggesting they can put it under their seat. Maybe you are misinformed about the rules in China.

But I find there is a difference between being ignorant and just taking advantage of the situation. I think anybody who has had experience with kids can tell the difference.
He was across the aisle from me.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: various
I have no idea how to respond to this statement, you must live in some sort of bubble. I have seen Chinese and Koreans (and high society Southeast Asians) acting like entitled spoiled brats all over their own countries, other Asian countries, and the world over. It's not a local manners ignorance kind of thing, it's entitlement and arrogance. The only Asians I don't immediately recall any entitlement-incidents about are the Japanese.
:D! and drewguy like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:46 am

"I actually do not see it. Almost never see Asians acting entitled."

No intent to turn this into a China-bashing thread, so I'll mention just three examples you can see daily:

-- Drivers and cyclists.

-- Smokers.

-- Line cutters.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:57 am

i'm also drawn by the principle of social credit. But this could be abused by the gov, and maybe others.

They also have a bounty on reporting traffic mishaps to the police, getting a commission from the fine applied to the bad driver. But, this has also been abused by people harassing other drivers in traffic, forcing them to break the law to avoid impact and then go with the recording of the out of context incident to the police and cash in on it.

This reminds me of the cobra effect
" The British government was concerned about the number of venomous cobra snakes in Delhi.[3] The government therefore offered bounty for every dead cobra. Initially this was a successful strategy as large numbers of snakes were killed for the reward. Eventually, however, enterprising people began to breed cobras for the income. When the government became aware of this, the reward program was scrapped, causing the cobra breeders to set the now-worthless snakes free. As a result, the wild cobra population further increased. The apparent solution for the problem made the situation even worse."
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

I guess I find some people just remarkably stupid. Like the Chinese lady who had been waiting in line for the green channel and then does not have her passport out nor the customs declaration filled out. She is not entitled as much as just lacking a brain.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I guess I find some people just remarkably stupid. Like the Chinese lady who had been waiting in line for the green channel and then does not have her passport out nor the customs declaration filled out. She is not entitled as much as just lacking a brain.
Did you mean Customs? Are there forms or requirement of passports now?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Did you mean Customs? Are there forms or requirement of passports now?
This was in another country.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:58 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
What's your point? I've seen the same noob-ness from Americans and Indians and Africans and Europeans, and I've also seen all sorts of people go through airport procedures very efficiently. What does this have to do with the government making it quasi-illegal to be a jerk?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.