FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   Visit Sanya in Summer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1919100-visit-sanya-summer.html)

RedSun Jul 9, 2018 10:09 pm

Visit Sanya in Summer

Thinking about a vacation in Sanya Hainan this mid to late August. I know this is off season. Would Typhoon season a problem?

moondog Jul 10, 2018 12:51 am

August is definitely typhoon season, but nobody here has reliable crystal balls. I went there in August once, and the weather was fine.

travelinmanS Jul 10, 2018 4:06 am

Any particular reason you want to fly from the East Coast of the USA to holiday in Sanya? Will you be in China otherwise? If not I'd suggest other resort areas in Asia.

RedSun Jul 10, 2018 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS (Post 29957502)
Any particular reason you want to fly from the East Coast of the USA to holiday in Sanya? Will you be in China otherwise? If not I'd suggest other resort areas in Asia.

I'd like to find a vacation stop before going to Shanghai. The stop would need to be a major airline stop, decent weather and good transportation. Beijing is another consideration. The transit time is the main consideration. I also like to stay at Ritz Carlton if possible. But that is not the deciding factor.

moondog Jul 11, 2018 12:08 am

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 29960395)
I'd like to find a vacation stop before going to Shanghai. The stop would need to be a major airline stop, decent weather and good transportation. Beijing is another consideration. The transit time is the main consideration. I also like to stay at Ritz Carlton if possible. But that is not the deciding factor.

Go to Beijing.

trueblu Jul 11, 2018 6:03 am

Beijing is and will probably still be oppressively hot...not much fun for exploring tbh. If want to just lounge in a nice hotel and enjoy good food, HK will be much nicer, although the weather will be even worse. For a beach, I have to admit I've never been to Sanya, but that is mostly intentional: can't see the appeal. I would recommend perhaps Thailand or Vietnam as preferable alternatives, which will only be a little more distant than Sanya to SH.

tb

moondog Jul 11, 2018 7:08 am

Originally Posted by trueblu (Post 29961673)
Beijing is and will probably still be oppressively hot...not much fun for exploring tbh. If want to just lounge in a nice hotel and enjoy good food, HK will be much nicer, although the weather will be even worse. For a beach, I have to admit I've never been to Sanya, but that is mostly intentional: can't see the appeal. I would recommend perhaps Thailand or Vietnam as preferable alternatives, which will only be a little more distant than Sanya to SH.

tb

Beijing is nowhere near as comfortable as Shanghai, but is far more interesting.

trueblu Jul 11, 2018 7:45 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 29961870)
Beijing is nowhere near as comfortable as Shanghai, but is far more interesting.

True...but it depends on whether the OP can stand being out and about in horrid conditions. Almost all Beijing sites are outdoors, with little by way of shade. A lot of them involve some element of climbing as well. I would avoid if at all possible.

tb

RedSun Jul 11, 2018 7:29 pm

May go to QingDao instead. It is cooler and has some nice beaches. But it is a large city like Beijing or Hong Kong.

moondog Jul 11, 2018 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 29964343)
May go to QingDao instead. It is cooler and has some nice beaches. But it is a large city like Beijing or Hong Kong.

Qingdao is a good choice for August.

Bluehen1 Jul 12, 2018 7:05 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 29964879)
Qingdao is a good choice for August.

Looks like the Beer Festival in Qingdao runs from July 20 - August 26. Might not be the greatest time for Qingdao.

cxfan1960 Jul 12, 2018 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Bluehen1 (Post 29965657)
Looks like the Beer Festival in Qingdao runs from July 20 - August 26. Might not be the greatest time for Qingdao.

In my opinion, August is still a good month to visit Qingdao.

cxfan1960 Jul 12, 2018 11:10 am

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 29964343)

The beaches are okay, and a few of them are easy to get to. While it is a large city, it is not as crowded as Beijing or Hong Kong. Qingdao is a good choice. It is very different from other parts of China.

moondog Jul 12, 2018 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960 (Post 29966478)
The beaches are okay, and a few of them are easy to get to. While it is a large city, it is not as crowded as Beijing or Hong Kong. Qingdao is a good choice. It is very different from other parts of China.

The beaches in the city fall short of my standards, but if you go a little north, they are quite nice.

trueblu Jul 15, 2018 11:36 am

Question is: why would one want a beach holiday in China at all? China has a lot of world-class attractions: cultural and natural. But beaches? Lots of better options in the region.

May I ask if the OP is Chinese/ Chinese heritage? Some of my Chinese friends/ colleagues rave about the Chinese beaches in a way that I don't quite get, so it may be a cultural thing??

tb