Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Visit Sanya in Summer

Visit Sanya in Summer

Old Jul 16, 18, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by trueblu View Post
Question is: why would one want a beach holiday in China at all? China has a lot of world-class attractions: cultural and natural. But beaches? Lots of better options in the region.

May I ask if the OP is Chinese/ Chinese heritage? Some of my Chinese friends/ colleagues rave about the Chinese beaches in a way that I don't quite get, so it may be a cultural thing??

tb
There are quite a few reasons why one would prefer beach holidays in China rather than in other areas.

I've done beach holidays all over Asia myself. Every country/area has it's advantages, and disadvantages.

It also depends on which Nationality you're holding. Some don't need a Visa for China (especially for group tours to Sanya that's true) and while Sanya got more expensive, they're still relatively cheap especially when there is high season elsewhere.

As someone non-Chinese, I found Sanya (and Qingdao. Actually Qingdao even more) to be fun.

I prefer it personally over many places in Thailand, where cheap travel/binge drinking by foreigners/sex tourism unfortunately is basically the #1 activity.

Malaysia and Indonesia, while certainly having lots of nice areas and I enjoy travelling there a lot too, are predominately muslim areas. Not everyone does enjoy that. (Personally I don't mind that, but depending on the area, it's hard to get non-halal food/drinks, as an example, or the "calls to prayer", etc.)

Korea? Let's say it, if you've been to Jeju and really think it's more suitable for a foreigner than Qingdao/Sanya you got me surprised. In my opinion, it's almost exclusively for Koreans. Nothing wrong about that, just super difficult for a foreigner.

Vietnam? That's the closest to Sanya, and also a nice place to go. But it's less developed, and not everyone likes that in their holidays.

For a (relatively) quiet holiday place where you can get around easily, where tons of good food is available to everyone taste, where traffic isn't that crazy, high safety/low-crime, then Sanya is a good pick. Qingdao, offers a "true" German feeling, with lovely small beer gardens everywhere, and now that the Metro has been built, easy-to-get-around transport. Both cities/areas have nice 1-day-trips to offer (I prefer Qingdao on that, but Sanya has nice trips across the island too)

I can't see why you'd want to exclude China as a beach/combo holiday destination. It definitely got its merits too.
Old Jul 16, 18, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trueblu View Post
Question is: why would one want a beach holiday in China at all? China has a lot of world-class attractions: cultural and natural. But beaches? Lots of better options in the region.

May I ask if the OP is Chinese/ Chinese heritage? Some of my Chinese friends/ colleagues rave about the Chinese beaches in a way that I don't quite get, so it may be a cultural thing??

tb
I have only been to the laoshan beach once, and only stayed for 2 hours, but it honestly is quite nice.
Old Jul 16, 18, 7:18 am

Programs: UA Premier Plat MM, HHonors Dia, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Wyndham Plat, National Exec, Hertz 5*
I liked Haikou for my beach time while I was in China. Not necessarily the beach itself as it was nothing to write home about and red flagged most of the time but the resort I chose. The Hilton Haikou Meilan was huge and never full. As a Diamond, I got an upgrade to a two room suite and great service. Usually there was no one but me and the employees at the pools during high sun periods. Plus it was much cheaper than Sanya.
Amelorn likes this.
Old Jul 16, 18, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Bluehen1 View Post
I liked Haikou for my beach time while I was in China. Not necessarily the beach itself as it was nothing to write home about and red flagged most of the time but the resort I chose. The Hilton Haikou Meilan was huge and never full. As a Diamond, I got an upgrade to a two room suite and great service. Usually there was no one but me and the employees at the pools during high sun periods. Plus it was much cheaper than Sanya.
Have you stayed at the Hiltons (especially the Conrad) in Sanya? If not then I'd wager that you would love Sanya even more
Old Jul 16, 18, 11:56 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by Bluehen1 View Post
I am remembering this, as I will be in China for 4 months with time to travel on weekends. (I originally planned to go to Haikou, but ended up based in Kunming).

I will need to get my nickel's worth out of my HH diamond status.
Old Aug 1, 18, 8:44 am

Programs: Jet Privilege - Silver, IHG - Spire, HH - Diamond & a wallet full of other cards
Piling onto this thread as it's the most recent one about Sanya.

Have heard in the past, that language can be a problem as not much English is used. Is that still an issue ?

Have been thru South East Asia's beaches and so curious to see what the beaches are like here at Sanya.. Are they clean and Swimming friendly ?
Old Aug 1, 18, 11:48 am

Sanya isn't as international as, say, Shanghai, but you'd not have much problems getting your "every day" stuff done there, it's still a touristic area, and I'd say English is the #1 language used to communicate with Non-Chinese guests. (Russian being a strong second, and nearby predominately Russian-resorts it's probably the other way around)

The beaches were kept clean (public areas) to a reasonable degree, didn't bothered me. Swimming was good, but it's really hot in summer.
Old Aug 1, 18, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by quarryking View Post
Piling onto this thread as it's the most recent one about Sanya.

Have heard in the past, that language can be a problem as not much English is used. Is that still an issue ?

Have been thru South East Asia's beaches and so curious to see what the beaches are like here at Sanya.. Are they clean and Swimming friendly ?
English is not a problem in Sanya. As everywhere else in China, they will find someone who speaks English, even if it takes a few minutes. No worries on that part.

Have done a few beaches on the South/South East shores of Sanya in winter and summer, most recently Lingshui Bay. While the beaches and water are often meticulously clean, the Oceans are generally not swimming friendly. It's somewhat similar to North/Central Vietnam, like Danang, - the currents are often so strong that you can see them (if that makes sense). So you can plunge about, but you wouldn't be able to swim much. Lifeguards will prevent anyone from going too far out as well (in their opinion too far, anyway). If you want to *swim* in the ocean, there's far better places to do so. If you want a relaxing beachside vacation, then Sanya is a good choice with many awesome resorts at often very reasonable prices
Old Aug 3, 18, 11:40 pm

Programs: Jet Privilege - Silver, IHG - Spire, HH - Diamond & a wallet full of other cards
Originally Posted by gpia View Post
English is not a problem in Sanya. As everywhere else in China, they will find someone who speaks English, even if it takes a few minutes. No worries on that part.

Have done a few beaches on the South/South East shores of Sanya in winter and summer, most recently Lingshui Bay. While the beaches and water are often meticulously clean, the Oceans are generally not swimming friendly. It's somewhat similar to North/Central Vietnam, like Danang, - the currents are often so strong that you can see them (if that makes sense). So you can plunge about, but you wouldn't be able to swim much. Lifeguards will prevent anyone from going too far out as well (in their opinion too far, anyway). If you want to *swim* in the ocean, there's far better places to do so. If you want a relaxing beachside vacation, then Sanya is a good choice with many awesome resorts at often very reasonable prices
Thanks for the info.. will try & route via Sanya on my way out.
Old Jan 4, 19, 8:03 pm

Programs: Hainan-Gold Amex-Plt, Mrt-Plt Prem, Hyatt-Plt, Stwd-Gld, HH-Gld, GC-Jade
Sanya in january

Old summer 2018 thread on Sanya; I have been to Sanya several times over the last decade, (usually Yalong bay) but not in the last few years. Marriott now has 15 properties & about a dozen different brands, Hyatt also has three properties there. So, planning about 3 weeks in Sanya this January before the February CNY chaos. Will try several hotel properties in these bay areas; Haitang, Dadonghai, & of course my favorite Yalong bay. Will use Hyatt free nights & a few Marriott points for some stays. The JW Mrt., Grand Hyatt, & Sheraton resorts are only a category 3. So- anyone else from FT in "warm" Sanya the last few weeks of January ?.

Last edited by Jiatong; Jan 4, 19 at 8:09 pm Reason: splng
Old Jan 23, 19, 5:29 pm

Programs: Hainan-Gold Amex-Plt, Mrt-Plt Prem, Hyatt-Plt, Stwd-Gld, HH-Gld, GC-Jade
Sanya in January update, only a week left before departing for the CNY chaos in Beijing in Febuary. On the 3rd beach & hotel now. Hotel differences are ; IT connections , tv channels, & service. The beaches and hotel pools are all great. Some hotels have google, U-tube access and others have blocked access to most all websites unless you download thier browser , ( i choose firefox). As always lots of Russian TV for quite a few Russian guests enjoying the warm weather here. Also noticed quite a few Nepal staff working at the hotels & their english is good.
Beach location update- 3 of the 4 visits doneSanya Bay- the oldest & very near the airport (2-4 Km) . The hotels are NOT on the beach, most are across the road, their is a beautiful "cocunut dream corridor path" by the public beach. Its a great walking path with no bikes or scooters. An easy walk to the nice clean beach from most hotels. Quite a few hotels are old military style resorts.-Dadonghai Bay- About 10 km from airport (60rmb) beautiful beach & nightlife area with a mix of hotel brands & price ranges. The hotels are on the beach with private beach access & service.- Yalong Bay- A newer beach area with the modern western & International brands, most are on the beach, which IMO is the best & closest to Hawaii type beach's. Landscaping is amazing in this area, not much for nightlife, but there are two upscale outlet malls here + a couple golf courses. Rates double or triple for CNY in this tourist area, but some good deals for Xmas season (not a Chinese holiday). Might try the new Park Hyatt then.
Old Jan 29, 19, 8:26 pm

Sanya- Xmas 2019

booked for Xmas week at Dadonghai bay JW, will be at Yalong bay for calendar New years week. CNY in 2020 is early- Jan 25th, will avoid the sanya cny chaos the last half of January. BTW- Sanya chaos starts when the kids are out of school for cny & ends about 3-4 weeks later when they go back to school.

Last edited by Jiatong; Jan 31, 19 at 11:43 pm Reason: splng