Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New 5-year visa for ethnic Chinese?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by metoo
Ethnicity Chinese. Applied at the Consulate in Los Angeles. Showed my old expired visa and passport. No problem with being granted the 10 year multiple visa.
What are the differences between your visa and the 10-year visas that all US citizens are granted by default?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:36 pm

Thought OP stated only 5 year visa for ethnic Chinese....
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:18 am

Thought OP stated only 5 year visa for ethnic Chinese....
OP is referring to a residence permit that allows for a continuous stay of five years as opposed to a short-stay (6 months max) visa that is valid for 5 years.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Ethnicity Chinese. Applied at the Consulate in Los Angeles. Showed my old expired visa and passport. No problem with being granted the 10 year multiple visa.
Originally Posted by moondog
What are the differences between your visa and the 10-year visas that all US citizens are granted by default?
Basically it is the same.

The difference is if China has a claim on your nationality, by birth or whatever they can think of, you will not be issued a 10 years multi-entry tourist visa anymore. You will be issued a "travel permit" clarifying China's claim on your nationality.
UNLESS
You have had a previous visa(s).

This is for visa applications in US and Canada.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by tentseller
The difference is if China has a claim on your nationality, by birth or whatever they can think of, you will not be issued a 10 years multi-entry tourist visa anymore. You will be issued a "travel permit" clarifying China's claim on your nationality.<br />UNLESS<br />You have had a previous visa(s).<br /><br />This is for visa applications in US and Canada.
<br /><br />From what I've heard from those who have faced this relatively new wrinkle, if they don't already have evidence of a previous Chinese visa in their US/Canada passport, there is essentially a "lockout" period of two years where they have to travel to China on this "Travel Permit" after which time, they can apply for a regular visa on their US/Canadian passport. But they don't get US/Canada Consular protections while inside China on the Travel Permit. This has happened to those originally from HK and Taiwan as well as the mainland.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by jiejie
<br /><br />From what I've heard from those who have faced this relatively new wrinkle, if they don't already have evidence of a previous Chinese visa in their US/Canada passport, there is essentially a "lockout" period of two years where they have to travel to China on this "Travel Permit" after which time, they can apply for a regular visa on their US/Canadian passport. But they don't get US/Canada Consular protections while inside China on the Travel Permit. This has happened to those originally from HK and Taiwan as well as the mainland.
The 2-year "lockout" is news to a Canadian visa agent. Maybe that is for US only.

Don't forget the other SAR: Macao. (BUT most Macanese Living abroad are on Portuguese Passports)
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
What is the official name for this new type of "visa"? What should I ask the consulate?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by tentseller
Basically it is the same.

The difference is if China has a claim on your nationality, by birth or whatever they can think of, you will not be issued a 10 years multi-entry tourist visa anymore. You will be issued a "travel permit" clarifying China's claim on your nationality.
UNLESS
You have had a previous visa(s).

This is for visa applications in US and Canada.
Hmm, my SO is a Chinese citizen who will be applying for US citizenship soon. From what I recall with my family, when they applied for their first Chinese visa they were also required to renounce their Chinese citizenships and had their Chinese passports cut. Does that no longer satisfy of "China's claim" after the consulate has accepted the renunciation?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by State of Trance
Hmm, my SO is a Chinese citizen who will be applying for US citizenship soon. From what I recall with my family, when they applied for their first Chinese visa they were also required to renounce their Chinese citizenships and had their Chinese passports cut. Does that no longer satisfy of "China's claim" after the consulate has accepted the renunciation?
With the anecdotes I've heard, it was unclear whether the applicants making their first (unsuccessful) run at getting a Chinese visa on their US passport, had ever properly and formally renounced their Chinese citizenship....the subjects relaying the anecdotes didn't make that entirely clear. Nor did they make it clear whether they had renounced their hukou or not, which my understanding is also an essential part of the process. So the answer to your question is "Maybe yes, maybe no." Might be a good question to ask the Consulate directly.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:40 am

What "Travel Permit" did they get? Is it the Chinese Travel Document?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Travel_Document

If so then this would actually seem to be better than a visa as it allows indefinite stay, but it does expire after two years.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by tauphi
What "Travel Permit" did they get? Is it the Chinese Travel Document?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Travel_Document

If so then this would actually seem to be better than a visa as it allows indefinite stay, but it does expire after two years.
Yes, I believe this is the document. The problem for a lot of former-Chinese is that they want to travel on their US (or new) passport to have Consular protections. My understanding is that on this document, they are essentially treated as Chinese citizens. An indefinite stay (vs a visa) was not of value to them, and I have heard of people in this situation who cancelled trips to China because they were not comfortable using this status.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:47 pm

Yes, I believe this is the document. The problem for a lot of former-Chinese is that they want to travel on their US (or new) passport to have Consular protections. My understanding is that on this document, they are essentially treated as Chinese citizens. An indefinite stay (vs a visa) was not of value to them, and I have heard of people in this situation who cancelled trips to China because they were not comfortable using this status.
This is really strange. I can't find anything online regarding the issuing of the Chinese Travel Document to adults who have acquired another nationality. Is this a US-only policy?

However, it has been the policy worldwide since 2017 to issue Chinese Travel Documents to minors who are citizens of a foreign country at birth and whose parents fulfill certain conditions. These minors are not eligible for a Chinese visa at all until they turn 18 and renounce their Chinese citizenship.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:53 pm

OK I take back the bit about not finding anything regarding the issuing of Chinese Travel Documents to adults. On the Washington Chinese embassy website, it lists four categories of people who are eligible for the Chinese Travel Document:

1. Chinese nationals who have lost their passport.
2. Hong Kong/Macau residents who do not have an HRP.
3. Taiwan residents who do not have an MTP.
4. Minors who have Chinese nationality and were born in the US.

Could it be that these people who were issued a Chinese Travel Document were all born in HK/Macau/Taiwan?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by tauphi
Could it be that these people who were issued a Chinese Travel Document were all born in HK/Macau/Taiwan?
Actually - the place of birth is irrelevant to this document.

For a Chinese Embassy/Consulate to issue a travel document, one must be a Chinese citizen in the perspective of PRC, which means regardless you claim to be one or not (by holding a passport or relevant document), or even the question is in dispute (like Taiwan), you are entitled to get one and that's the only document you are entitled.

Using Jeremy Lin (Atlanta Hawks) as an example - since Lin has not renounced his Taiwanese citizenship by descent, so Lin is still a Taiwanese citizen. Because Lin is not yet entitled to a MTP (there is a doubt that if Lin's birth has ever registered with Taiwan's Household system), Lin would be entitled to a travel document if Lin ever wants to go to the Mainland. (Note - Lin is a U.S. citizen both by birth and descent.)
Old Sep 18, 2018, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by garykung
Actually - the place of birth is irrelevant to this document.

For a Chinese Embassy/Consulate to issue a travel document, one must be a Chinese citizen in the perspective of PRC, which means regardless you claim to be one or not (by holding a passport or relevant document), or even the question is in dispute (like Taiwan), you are entitled to get one and that's the only document you are entitled.

Using Jeremy Lin (Atlanta Hawks) as an example - since Lin has not renounced his Taiwanese citizenship by descent, so Lin is still a Taiwanese citizen. Because Lin is not yet entitled to a MTP (there is a doubt that if Lin's birth has ever registered with Taiwan's Household system), Lin would be entitled to a travel document if Lin ever wants to go to the Mainland. (Note - Lin is a U.S. citizen both by birth and descent.)
Yes but how can the embassy tell apart from looking at the place of birth? Last I checked for adult visa applicants you don't have to supply information on your parents.

For minors who are applying for visas it is now required to supply citizenship information of the parents at the time of birth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.