Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Is an in-person visit to a consulate required for a China?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is an in-person visit to a consulate required for a China?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I also agree with the TWOV option. Take the hit on revising the air itinerary and route the return trip to a 3rd country.
My visit to the Chinese visa application centre in Toronto could not have been more efficient - they saw me before my appointment time and had me out the door. BUT the appointment was several days away when I booked it, and I had to leave the passport with them until the pickup date AND they would NOT tell me ahead of time what visa they would give me. I wanted a 10-year open, of course, and they gave me a 6-month, 2- visit visa. (Gave my travel companion a 10-year open visa, unsolicited.)
Old May 18, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by RobWilliamsTG
Hi all:

Apologies for leaving out vital information. I'll rapid-fire this so as to not write a novel:

The trip was booked under a month ago, and I'm set to be there for 4 nights; never leaving Beijing.

I've never heard of TWOV, as I've never needed a visa for any other destination before (I didn't realize how much Taiwan spoiled me, traveling there). Ditto for 144-hours; I'll read into it.

I thought there was a holiday on Monday, but Google gave me nothing last night. I thought I was home free on that front.

The company sending me is planning to handle all visa-related fees, but it feels like not even all the money in the world would get this done as quick as I need it to be. TWOV or "144-hours" sounds like my only option. Does it make a difference if the company sending me has offices there? San Diego-based, but has a Beijing office.

I appreciate the excellent advice you guys have provided here. It's amazing... I sometimes feel like I've finally got this travel thing nailed down, but then something major pops up and proves to me, "You know NOTHING!".
If you can take the TWOV, the company sending you needs to cover your ticket to somewhere else too, and perhaps a night and other reasonable expenses as well. Whether they have an office in China makes no difference unless you apply for a visa.
Old May 18, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by STS-134
In person visit is not required and there are agencies that can get the visa for you, but you're really pushing it since the 22nd is next Tuesday. I got my first Chinese visa through an agency that sent my passport to the local consulate, however, I had a month to get it. You on the other hand have only Friday and Monday to get your visa. I wouldn't trust an agency to get that quick a turnaround time, and I'd personally just go in person and get the rush service. The SF consulate can do it in 1 day (which I think means same day if you go early enough in the morning) for an additional fee.
Can verify for future reference, I brought my passport in Friday morning ~hour after they opened, asked for rush service, picked it up before noon on Monday. But I don't believe they can turn it around in a day, someone may correct me. Also lines are usually long, so it can take a good 30-45 minutes just to get in if you show up around opening time.
Old May 18, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Is the TWOV option available to a business traveler?
Old May 19, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
TWOV doesn't care why you're visiting - just that you meet the requirements re: passport origin, A-B-C country travel, length of time.....All noted in the Wiki, very helpful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.