Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Opening a Chinese Bank Account: In US vs China

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by johnathome
However, I was told you can add a non-Chinese credit card which seemed to work! I added my Chase US card and it was accepted. We will see next month when I'm in China whether it works.
It can work but don't expect the same service that you get by linking a Chinese ATM card with WeChat. I have both a US VISA card and Chinese Bank account linked to my WeChat. The only time I am able to charge to the VISA card is when I use Meituan linked with WeChat pay. Everything else, scanning QR codes for taxis and shops does not let me choose the VISA card. If I generate a QR code for payment, I can also never choose the VISA card. Message is "Card not supported for payment"

However, adding the VISA card should enable your wallet and allow people to send you money.
Old May 21, 2018, 9:08 am

I have found exactly the same on Alipay. I have a non-Mainland credit card linked to my account, and I've verified it with both passport and monthly statement. I can generate a QR code, but after it's scanned, there's no way I can select the card for payment. The cashier has to cancel the transaction. It does work for Taobao payments, though, with an added fee.

And if Wechat works like Alipay -- and I suspect it does since they're following the same orders from the central authorities -- you still won't be able to receive payments after you've linked a non-Mainland card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.