Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Toronto or Montreal to Chengdu

Old May 2, 18, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR, AC, EVA, UL and PAL

I urgently need advice on the best airline to fly from either Toronto or Montreal to Chengdu on business class. Any advice would be much highly appreciated.
Thank you.
Old May 2, 18, 6:39 am

United through SFO
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old May 2, 18, 7:00 am

Suppose we’re talking 1 stop options, so here’s a few thoughts:

- Avoid transit in China altogether. Period.

- HKG, TPE and ICN will have an equally smooth transit process, with HKG being the “best” airport. Particularly the CX lounges you’d be entitled to use as a J pax will be good for a shower before/after long hauls.

- Do consider LH and others routing eastbound via Europe. Travel duration will be similar to the TPAC options, and you can choose if you need to be better rested at your destination or upon arriving home
Old May 2, 18, 11:31 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
Cathay Pacific will get you there with a premium business class transiting through HKG -- YYZ-HKG-CTU. Cathay's business class lounges in HKG are some of the best in the world.
Old May 4, 18, 5:25 am

The quickest way is to take a direct flight to China. There are no direct flights from Toronto or Montreal to Chengdu. You can fly direct with Air Canada or Air China to Beijing or Shanghai then switch to a domestic flight.
I have no idea about the business class on Air China but from Montreal to Beijing your luggage will be checked through to Chengdu and you won't have to check-in, pretty simple.
Old May 4, 18, 9:42 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: AE, BA, MR, Fairmont Plat (RIP), Accor Plat
I would fly direct to PEK from YUL/YYZ then domestic to Chengdu as stated above with the caveat to not accept any tight connections at PEK

CA J on the 787 has good hard product (slept fine, food was decent, etc.), variable soft product on the international leg. I would put it above UA J and below ANA J for example.

Some good fares out of YUL and YYZ recently as well on CA
Old May 5, 18, 9:07 pm

The two above posts that advocate connecting in China are bad options. Whenever possible avoid connecting to domestic Chinese flights because of the hassle of their airports, the bad lounges and the possibility for delays.

The UA flight from SFO lands you directly in Chengdu after hopefully hours of sleep in their flatbeds (exact same seat as CA and LH). I prefer it that way rather than transiting in Seoul or Tokyo. HK is too far out of the way to make it worthwhile and also subject to massive delays.
gpia likes this.
Old May 6, 18, 5:35 pm

Transiting in the US isn't exactly fun either.
Old May 6, 18, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM View Post
Transiting in the US isn't exactly fun either.
I believe the formalities will all be done in Toronto or Montreal so just a normal domestic transit at SFO, easy.
Old May 7, 18, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
I believe the formalities will all be done in Toronto or Montreal so just a normal domestic transit at SFO, easy.
Yes, adding two hours to the trip. And need to pass immigration and long security on the way back.. Worst if OP is not Canadian. I just don't see much benefit compared to a transit in Beijing, considering alos that the flight from SF to Chengdu is 14 hours.
Plus the connection in San Francisco (departing from Montreal) requires a 12-hour wait making the total trip over 30 hours.

Last edited by JPDM; May 7, 18 at 5:04 am
Old May 7, 18, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM View Post
Yes, adding two hours to the trip. And need to pass immigration and long security on the way back.. Worst if OP is not Canadian. I just don't see much benefit compared to a transit in Beijing, considering alos that the flight from SF to Chengdu is 14 hours.
Plus the connection in San Francisco (departing from Montreal) requires a 12-hour wait making the total trip over 30 hours.
Forgot about the trip back and going through US customs at SFO. I stand corrected. Avoid this routing and avoid transiting in China. Go through Tokyo or Seoul.
Old May 9, 18, 8:55 am
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
SFO (or any other US airports) - unnecessary US formalities and potentially long lines for transit on return; a hassle if not Canadian or US citizens (plus I am not a fan of UA).
PEK, PVG, CAN (or any Chinese airports) - uncontrollable delays within China - risk missing long haul connection on return.
The best options are HKG, TPE, ICN and NRT. CTU has limited international flights. So you should check layover time.
Old May 10, 18, 2:39 pm

Programs: FB Platinum; Priority Club Spire; HHonors Silver
There seems to be some double-posting going on here; same OP on Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines forum with same request.

Search this Thread