FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   Question regarding a Visa for China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1902919-question-regarding-visa-china.html)

bp traveler Apr 8, 2018 1:36 pm

Question regarding a Visa for China

Hoping someone can help me answer this question about a China Visa;
Does this Qualify for 72 hour transit?
Flight from Hong Kong to Beijing on 7/11 arriving at 4:50 pm. Depart Beijing on 7/14 at 11:40 am for United States. Qualifies for 72 hour transit, correct?

Thanks

MSPeconomist Apr 8, 2018 1:47 pm

It depends on details such as your passport.

An excellent source for this information is the big sticky TWOV thread in the China destination forum on FT.

UpgradeMe Apr 8, 2018 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29616965)
An excellent source for this information is the big sticky TWOV thread in the China destination forum on FT.

The OP does not even mention DL.

bp traveler Apr 8, 2018 3:03 pm

We are flying Delta and we US passport holders.

I have also posted as recommended below in the China forum.

Thanks for any help I have been reading and researching and just want to be sure.

flyerCO Apr 8, 2018 3:35 pm

Yes it qualifies. HK/MACAU are basically separate countries for TWOV purposes.

LonghaulCommuter Apr 8, 2018 3:44 pm

The visa free transit has been extended to 144 hours in Beijing. Make sure you inform the gate agent in advance of boarding that you'll be using this option.

bp traveler Apr 8, 2018 4:25 pm

Is there anything we would need to provide to the gate agent?
Thank you all for the help!

MSPeconomist Apr 8, 2018 4:42 pm

A paper copy of your ticket receipt and itinerary showing the flight leaving China. For DL (which seems to sometimes be clueless regarding TWOV), a printout of the result you get from TIMATIC showing that no visa is required and possibly (if you can find it) a clear copy of somed official statement of the TWOV rules.

When you enter China, you might be asked to show your hotel reservation confirmation, so bring a hard copy of that too.

TerryK Apr 9, 2018 5:05 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29617470)
A paper copy of your ticket receipt and itinerary showing the flight leaving China. For DL (which seems to sometimes be clueless regarding TWOV), a printout of the result you get from TIMATIC showing that no visa is required and possibly (if you can find it) a clear copy of somed official statement of the TWOV rules.

When you enter China, you might be asked to show your hotel reservation confirmation, so bring a hard copy of that too.

It is important to bring paper copies. Showing China immigration officials on your smartphone will not do.

flyerCO Apr 9, 2018 6:01 am

Originally Posted by TerryK (Post 29618949)
It is important to bring paper copies. Showing China immigration officials on your smartphone will not do.

Never had an issue. They simply place phone on copier the few times they wanted a copy. Otherwise last time brought family, they simply entered the info from DL App into their systems.

mot29 Apr 9, 2018 8:13 am

Just a thought -- with China now issuing 10 year visas, if you are anticipating other trips that might include China, might it be worth just getting a visa. There is the $140 fee and the service fees if you don't live in a city with a consulate.
I just got my new passport and it is at the Chinese consulate in DC now getting a 10 year (I hope) visa.

RRDD Apr 9, 2018 8:37 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29617470)

You usually need to show a copy of a hotel reservation when applying for a visa. Make sure the reservation is in the name of the applicant. My wife’s visa was delayed because the hotel reservation was in my name.

MSPeconomist Apr 9, 2018 9:24 am

This is to enter China under TWOV; there's no visa being applied for in this case.

callaweii Apr 9, 2018 11:31 am

Originally Posted by mot29 (Post 29619446)
Just a thought -- with China now issuing 10 year visas, if you are anticipating other trips that might include China, might it be worth just getting a visa. There is the $140 fee and the service fees if you don't live in a city with a consulate.
I just got my new passport and it is at the Chinese consulate in DC now getting a 10 year (I hope) visa.

Would you mind reporting back? I applied for the 10 year visa (met all requirements) and ended up with a 3 month/30 day visa.

atlocal Apr 9, 2018 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by bp traveler (Post 29617434)
Is there anything we would need to provide to the gate agent?
Thank you all for the help!

I got a little pushback at check in and from the gate agent. Had to insist I am allowed to transit through China. If I wasn't firm with them, I would've been denied boarding. Showed them my hotel reservation and onward flight reservation too.