FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   Possible China itinerary (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1901704-possible-china-itinerary.html)

Red259 Apr 1, 2018 2:11 am

Possible China itinerary

I'm trying to get the timing and transportation down on my route.

What i have is as follows:

Day 1: Arrive in Shanghai (evening)
Day 2 Shanghai (hanging out in city, setting up logistics of my trip)
Day 3: day trip to Suzhou/water towns return to shanghai for evening
Day 4: bullet train to Hangzhou in the morning (stay night in Hangzhou)
Day 5: morning in Hangzhou later train to shanghai for evening flight to Zhangjiajie (spend night in Zhangjiajie)
Day 6 the cable car in the morning from city and then move to Wulingyuan
day 7, 8 staying in Wulingyuan visits to national park
day 9 fly from Zhangjiajie to korea via connecting flights in morning

Is the above timeline feasible? The above is my minimum trip time. I have flights into shanghai booked already.Now it is possible I will have longer in China it depends on how the scheduling works out, but I may end up with an additional four full days. If that occurs what additions would be recommended to this type of itinerary? Travel is for early may. I have been to Beijing, Xi'an, Guilin and Hong kong, so I do not need to visit those locations again. Open to any other recommendations that I could plug into this trip,

moondog Apr 1, 2018 3:06 am

Try to ensure your HZ time is not during a weekend. Pm me if you want a small boat.

889 Apr 1, 2018 3:17 am

On that itinerary I'd probably make Huangshan my touch of nature, instead.

Red259 Apr 1, 2018 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by 889 (Post 29589612)
On that itinerary I'd probably make Huangshan my touch of nature, instead.

Is that just personal preference or are there other reasons to favor Huangshan? I had considered it previously. Its looking more and more like I will have 4 extra days. Also, I should point out that my arrival date is 4/30, so I know there is labor day on 5/1, which is why I was thinking it would be better to stay in the city on that day instead of rushing towards the water towns and national parks on a holiday. Not sure how crowded things will be on 5/2-5/3.

Red259 Apr 1, 2018 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 29589585)
Try to ensure your HZ time is not during a weekend. Pm me if you want a small boat.

I can look into my schedule. Maybe the thing to do is do HZ on a Friday as a day trip and head back to Shanghai on Friday night for a night out before flying out the next day?

cxfan1960 Apr 1, 2018 4:52 pm

There are direct flights from HGH to DYG most days in a week. Would that be more convenient than returning to SHA to catch a flight?

889 Apr 1, 2018 5:25 pm

First, I think Huangshan's a more dramatic experience than ZJJ, quite a bit more dramatic By comparison, ZJJ was something of a letdown for me.

Second, there are interesting old towns in the broad vicinity of Huangshan you can visit with your extra time.

Third, getting to ZJJ takes you quite a distance and hassle from Hangzhou. Huangshan is so much nearer.

Red259 Apr 1, 2018 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960 (Post 29591481)
There are direct flights from HGH to DYG most days in a week. Would that be more convenient than returning to SHA to catch a flight?

I looked at it a bit but the air fare from HGH to DYG seems to be quite a bit more.

catcher1 Apr 1, 2018 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by 889 (Post 29591548)
First, I think Huangshan's a more dramatic experience than ZJJ, quite a bit more dramatic By comparison, ZJJ was something of a letdown for me.

Second, there are interesting old towns in the broad vicinity of Huangshan you can visit with your extra time.

Third, getting to ZJJ takes you quite a distance and hassle from Hangzhou. Huangshan is so much nearer.

I have been to all these destinations, and I would definitely include Huangshan. I also think Shanghai deserves more time than the OP is giving it.

Red259 Apr 1, 2018 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by catcher1 (Post 29591710)
I have been to all these destinations, and I would definitely include Huangshan. I also think Shanghai deserves more time than the OP is giving it.

I've been to Shanghai before. I'm considering cutting out ZJJ for Huangshan. Do you agree with 889 that Huangshan is a more dramatic experience than ZJJ?

catcher1 Apr 1, 2018 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Red259 (Post 29591772)
I've been to Shanghai before. I'm considering cutting out ZJJ for Huangshan. Do you agree with 889 that Huangshan is a more dramatic experience than ZJJ?

I do. You will not be disappointed.

chipmaster Apr 2, 2018 7:33 am

I am neither a museum, history, or sightseer but even for me I think Shanghai is worthy two days minimum.
Hangzhou is pretty historical and interesting, it could use a full day and half IMHO

Also have you budgeted time for time change? I'd hope you get those extra four days and spread them a day in each stop at minimum, stop and smell the roses so to speak

Red259 Apr 2, 2018 10:15 am

Originally Posted by chipmaster (Post 29593121)
I am neither a museum, history, or sightseer but even for me I think Shanghai is worthy two days minimum.
Hangzhou is pretty historical and interesting, it could use a full day and half IMHO

Also have you budgeted time for time change? I'd hope you get those extra four days and spread them a day in each stop at minimum, stop and smell the roses so to speak

I probably will add another day in Shanghai but as mentioned above I have been there before.

Loren Pechtel Apr 3, 2018 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Red259 (Post 29589482)
Day 3: day trip to Suzhou/water towns return to shanghai for evening
Day 4: bullet train to Hangzhou in the morning (stay night in Hangzhou)

Why backtrack? Spend night #3 in either Suzhou or Hangzhou..

Red259 Apr 3, 2018 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel (Post 29599331)
Why backtrack? Spend night #3 in either Suzhou or Hangzhou..

Yea I was going to ask about that. I'm going to post a revised schedule for feedback and see where I can cut excess travel time etc.