Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Carry-on limits on domestic flights

Carry-on limits on domestic flights

Old Mar 18, 18, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Question Carry-on limits on domestic flights

I plan on flying into China from the US and then making a domestic transfer to my final destination of Guangzhou both via Hainan Airlines. I plan on taking a backpack as a personal item to put underneath the seat and a suitcase as carry-on for the overhead bin. The domestic policy for Hainan Airlines says 1 bag for economy with a weight limit of 5 kg, but it's not really clear whether a backpack as a personal item counts as another bag or not? Furthermore, do they even weigh carry-on suitcases as even empty my suitcase is already 3.5 kg out of the allowed 5 kg weight limit.
Old Mar 18, 18, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yokuyuki View Post
I plan on flying into China from the US and then making a domestic transfer to my final destination of Guangzhou both via Hainan Airlines. I plan on taking a backpack as a personal item to put underneath the seat and a suitcase as carry-on for the overhead bin. The domestic policy for Hainan Airlines says 1 bag for economy with a weight limit of 5 kg, but it's not really clear whether a backpack as a personal item counts as another bag or not? Furthermore, do they even weigh carry-on suitcases as even empty my suitcase is already 3.5 kg out of the allowed 5 kg weight limit.
That plan works, but I suggest checking your bag.
Old Mar 18, 18, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
That plan works, but I suggest checking your bag.
I just prefer not having to deal with waiting for luggage as well as the potential of losing my checked luggage especially since there's a transfer. So for domestic flights, a personal backpack is counted separately from carry-on bags?
Old Mar 19, 18, 4:29 pm

No guaranty with any particular airline at any particular time.

But just judging by what folks bring on board, so long as it fits in the overhead bin, nobody will say anything.
Old Mar 19, 18, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

It seems like I would get the international allowance for baggage which is 10 kg + a personal bag because the first segment of my trip is an international flight based on US DOT regulations.
Old Mar 19, 18, 7:38 pm
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by yokuyuki View Post
It seems like I would get the international allowance for baggage which is 10 kg + a personal bag because the first segment of my trip is an international flight based on US DOT regulations.
It should follow the US DOT for checked luggage, but I don't think it works that way for carry-on. Chinese authority limits carry-on to 5kg. US DOT has a say on the airlines, but other countries don't care. However, enforcement is a little lax (at least on weight and size).
Old Mar 19, 18, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
I have flown plenty domestic China flights, always with a thick Tumi computer bag that fits underneath the seat, and a 22 inch rollaboard that weighs much more than 5kg/10lbs. Granted I mostly fly CA and get *G benefits, but Ive never had my bags weighed, either by hand, eyeball, or an actual scale. Nor have I seen other people be subjected to that. Personally I would recommend that you proceed with carrying everything on, but I also understand that it might be a YMMV situation.
Old Mar 20, 18, 2:27 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K
I've flown Hainan a few times basic economy no status and had no issue on the international leg doing standard roller carryon + one very heavy backpack/personal item. Recently flew China Eastern (MU) and Air China domestically and similar experience, YMMV
Old Mar 20, 18, 4:48 am

Outside of a few ULCC carriers in China, carry-on rules are rarely enforced. Basically whatever you can stuff on the plane you can take. When you board flights operated by Chinese carriers in Korea and Japan, people are stuffing huge shopping bags well over sized into the overhead bin. When Chinese travel, they usually carry the kitchen sink, and when they return home from an international trip, they usually have gone on some type of shopping spree.

You shouldn't have a problem.
Old Mar 20, 18, 7:18 am

Programs: OZ Diamond
Agree with the others. Have flown several mainland Chinese carriers on domestic routes (CA, MU, HU, FM, CZ, HO, KN) and no one's batted an eyelid at any of my carry on luggage or ever asked for it to be measured/weighed. Have never seen it happen to any other passenger at a Chinese airport either. There's always a first time for anything, but as long as it can fit in an overhead bin, you should be fine.
Old Mar 21, 18, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your quick responses! Because I was so unsure, I took the time to email Hainan Airlines customer service and they said that as long as I have an international flight, even my domestic flights will be following international flight baggage allowances and they took the time to specifically say that even for a domestic flight, I can bring 10 kg of carry-on baggage.

Search this Thread