Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Does Transit Without Visa for 72-144 hours confuse staff members more than it should?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Transit Without Visa for 72-144 hours confuse staff members more than it should?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

It seems that every time I fly to China under the transit without visa program, I encounter airline staff and immigration officers who seem befuddled by what I'm doing.

It starts at check in. I hand the staff my passport. They start flipping through looking for my Chinese visa. I stop them. "I don't have a visa for China. I'll be transiting without visa in Beijing for two days. Here's my onward ticket."

A look of panic and confusion crosses their faces. Supervisors are called. People huddle over a monitor pointing or jabbering in Chinese. They tell me that they're not sure that city I am flying to (Beijing, Shanghai, Xi'an) is included in the program. It is. Or they tell me they don't know if American passport holders are eligible. We are. More discussions. Phone calls are made. And then finally they say "It's OK."

I land in China. I go to the transit without visa desk. They kind of act like they've never seen a passenger attempt to transit without visa before. My paperwork is scrutinized. Supervisors are consulted. Phone calls are made. I'm made to sit for 15-30 minutes, then they say "It's OK" and I'm allowed to enter China.

Flying out two days later. I check in for my flight from Beijing to Las Vegas. The airline staff starts look through my passport. "Where is your Chinese visa?" "I don't have one."

Panic and confusion. I explain that I am transiting visa free. I show him the stamp. Staff member consults his supervisor. She agrees that it's OK for me to check in for the flight departing China.

Exit immigration. I had no problems on this trip other than the officer briefly asking his supervisor something before letting me leave. In the past I've been held up longer, I don't remember the details.

I realize that it's much easier for an American to enter China without a visa than it is for Chinese folks to enter the USA without a visa. And that the airlines get in trouble if they fly someone to China who isn't authorized to visit. I just wish that Chinese airline staff and immigration officers didn't act like I'm doing something weird or surprising every time I do this.

Last edited by jphripjah; Jul 17, 2018 at 7:01 am
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:14 pm

In my nearly 5 years here, I’ve discovered nearly anything outside of normal is troubling. My wife is currently here on a 10 year visa, that is in her old passport. When we go to register her at the police station, they seem really confused by it, and will spend a fare amount of time flipping through the new passport searching for the visa, even after we show them the visa in the old passport.

Last year, for my residence permit, I signed up for the E-channel entrance. I had Chinese boarder guards tell me when I was in line for the e-channel, that I couldn’t use it because I was foreign. I said, let me try, and they were shocked that I was able to enter the country in the e-channel. And when I would check in at a hotel, or register at the police station, they would be confused by my lack of entry stamp.

You get the sense that everyone in the buearacy is programmed for one thing, and they really struggle when there is anything outside the norms.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by jphripjah
It seems that every time I fly to China under the transit without visa program, I encounter airline staff and immigration officers who seem befuddled by what I'm doing.

It starts at check in. I hand the staff my passport. They start flipping through looking for my Chinese visa. I stop them. "I don't have a visa for China. I'll be transiting without visa in Beijing for two days. Here's my onward ticket."

A look of panic and confusion crosses their faces. Supervisors are called. People huddle over a monitor pointing or jabbering in Chinese. They tell me that they're not sure that city I am flying to (Beijing, China, Xi'an) is included in the program. It is. Or they tell me they don't know if American passport holders are eligible. We are. More discussions. Phone calls are made. And then finally they say "It's OK."

I land in China. I go to the transit without visa desk. They kind of act like they've never seen a passenger attempt to transit without visa before. My paperwork is scrutinized. Supervisors are consulted. Phone calls are made. I'm made to sit for 15-30 minutes, then they say "It's OK" and I'm allowed to enter China.

Flying out two days later. I check in for my flight from Beijing to Las Vegas. The airline staff starts look through my passport. "Where is your Chinese visa?" "I don't have one."

Panic and confusion. I explain that I am transiting visa free. I show him the stamp. Staff member consults his supervisor. She agrees that it's OK for me to check in for the flight departing China.

Exit immigration. I had no problems on this trip other than the officer briefly asking his supervisor something before letting me leave. In the past I've been held up longer, I don't remember the details.

I realize that it's much easier for an American to enter China without a visa than it is for Chinese folks to enter the USA without a visa. And that the airlines get in trouble if they fly someone to China who isn't authorized to visit. I just wish that Chinese airline staff and immigration officers didn't act like I'm doing something weird or surprising every time I do this.
That is probably because the rules for TWOV is so complicated. They vary with port of entry, and they are revised from time to time.

Originally Posted by onuhistorian0116
In my nearly 5 years here, I’ve discovered nearly anything outside of normal is troubling. My wife is currently here on a 10 year visa, that is in her old passport. When we go to register her at the police station, they seem really confused by it, and will spend a fare amount of time flipping through the new passport searching for the visa, even after we show them the visa in the old passport.
Up until four years ago, Chinese consulates will not grant visa beyond passport validity. Immigration knows the new rule, but many others still don't.

Originally Posted by onuhistorian0116
Last year, for my residence permit, I signed up for the E-channel entrance. I had Chinese boarder guards tell me when I was in line for the e-channel, that I couldn’t use it because I was foreign. I said, let me try, and they were shocked that I was able to enter the country in the e-channel. And when I would check in at a hotel, or register at the police station, they would be confused by my lack of entry stamp.

You get the sense that everyone in the buearacy is programmed for one thing, and they really struggle when there is anything outside the norms.
I had the same problem with a hotel before because I entered with my HRP. The hotel receptionists didn't know what that was. They were questioning why there was no visa and no stamp. Ultimately they allowed me to check in. Then they called my room asking my port and date of entry...
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:27 am

That might be your impression but I think that you have a wrong impression. Tens of thousands of people use this exemption. Last time that I walked pass the TWOV desk at PEK, there must have been 20 to 30 people in the waiting line. so the staff is certainly familiar with something that they do all day long. You can't blame them for being thorough in their work.
You seem to infer that you do this often, then why not just get a visa?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JPDM
That might be your impression but I think that you have a wrong impression. Tens of thousands of people use this exemption. Last time that I walked pass the TWOV desk at PEK, there must have been 20 to 30 people in the waiting line. so the staff is certainly familiar with something that they do all day long. You can't blame them for being thorough in their work.
You seem to infer that you do this often, then why not just get a visa?

Maybe there were 20 to 30 people in line because staff was taking 15 minutes on every passenger for something that shouldn't be so complicated.

I don't do it often. I visit China every few years for a few days. But I've done it enough to gain the impression that transiting without visa involves more drama and waiting around and consulatation with supervisors than getting an actual visa on arrival in most countries.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Maybe there were 20 to 30 people in line because staff was taking 15 minutes on every passenger for something that shouldn't be so complicated.

I don't do it often. I visit China every few years for a few days. But I've done it enough to gain the impression that transiting without visa involves more drama and waiting around and consulatation with supervisors than getting an actual visa on arrival in most countries.
Check-in can take some time with TWOV. Nothing we can really do about that except arrive at the airport with plenty of time in case there are any issues.

As for arrival in China, I agree. What used to be a really simple and straightforward procedure - a mater of a minute or two - has now turned into something which can take five minutes or 15. I've had officers flip through every page of my passport and hold each page up to the light. And then another officer come and join in and do the whole thing again. And the next visit all that's been required is tapping my onward flight details into the computer and I'm on my way. There doesn't seem to be any way to tell which path your entry will take.

For non-US passport holders however TWOV can represent big money savings and two trips to the local China visa office (to drop off and then collect). So the a 15 minute wait and $0 is a huge advantage. Although it doesn't necessarily feel like that after a delayed flight arriving at 2am
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Check-in can take some time with TWOV. Nothing we can really do about that except arrive at the airport with plenty of time in case there are any issues.

As for arrival in China, I agree. What used to be a really simple and straightforward procedure - a mater of a minute or two - has now turned into something which can take five minutes or 15. I've had officers flip through every page of my passport and hold each page up to the light. And then another officer come and join in and do the whole thing again. And the next visit all that's been required is tapping my onward flight details into the computer and I'm on my way. There doesn't seem to be any way to tell which path your entry will take.

For non-US passport holders however TWOV can represent big money savings and two trips to the local China visa office (to drop off and then collect). So the a 15 minute wait and $0 is a huge advantage. Although it doesn't necessarily feel like that after a delayed flight arriving at 2am
It's a pretty big savings for US passport holders as well. I live close enough to the Consulate in NYC that I can travel there so I'm not paying a visa agent but it still costs about $200 all in.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 11:42 am

I am currently having a lot of anxiety about the entire process! I booked a flight to PEK and then circumstances changed and I booked na onward flight from PEK-ICN on a different airline.

I know it all falls within TWOV, but I'm so nervous about Delta giving me a hard time at checkin to PEK without a Chinese visa, and then anxious that they'll give me a hard time once at PEK. And then the anxiety continues when leaving ICN to PEK on my way to DTW.

Has anyone had the opposite experience as the OP?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Don't be anxious. It all gets sorted, and it's kind of funny to see them freak out when you don't have a Chinese visa. They figure it out though. You'll be fine.

When you arrive in Peking, you go to the big blue desk marked 72-144 hour visa free transit in the far back corner of the arrivals hall. Along the wall will be arrival cards, you fill out the blue and white card for people transiting without visa (people with visas fill out the standard yellow card).

Just expect some commotion at the check in desk and the immigration desk and don't fret about it, it's normal.
Marschel likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:51 am
qpr

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
It's a pretty big savings for US passport holders as well. I live close enough to the Consulate in NYC that I can travel there so I'm not paying a visa agent but it still costs about $200 all in.
But US citizens can get a 10 year visa, europeans (for example) not.
I have a 2 years Q2 visa, the longest valid one I can get in Germany.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: Thai, Hyatt
Not really a saving. I used this back in March and it was a real hassle, similar to what the OP stated. I'm Australian and flew out of Melbourne to Wuhan and had hassles at check-in (couldn't find Wuhan on the city list, said I couldn't travel on a return ticket which I wasn't anyway) and hassles at immigration in Wuhan. They probably don't get many people using TWOV in Wuhan to be fair, since there are so few flights out to other countries.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:49 am

Hello,

Has anybody used the 72 hours visa free for a travel like that:
Japan-Korea-PEK and in two days PEK direct to Japan? Is it legit for the 72 hours visa free visit?

Thank you
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by alexmik
Hello,

Has anybody used the 72 hours visa free for a travel like that:
Japan-Korea-PEK and in two days PEK direct to Japan? Is it legit for the 72 hours visa free visit?

Thank you
Sure. It’s now 144 hours, and for TWOV purposes your itinerary is simply Korea-PEK-Japan. China is a clear transit point from country A to country C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.