Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing airport taxi scam attempt at taxi information desk

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Marco Frigatti
The company you are referring to, offers private cars as an alternative to taxis. It’s not a scam. I have used them quite often and they are reputable, honest and transparent. Their fees are based on your destination and usually is around 250-300 rmb for central BEIJING + 10 rmb in cash for the motorway. You can see the fare coming up in the screen as they input your deatination. Taxis are generally fine, but the line can require waiting up to 1 hour at the airport, also private cars are often vans and you can fit 6 people with luggage, whereas taxis are generally for 2 people 2 suitcases. The desk understands basic English and you can agree on the destination, so there is no further need to explain to the driver where you want to go. Most drivers in Beijing would not be able to read an English address and even if you have the Chinese they may not be able to read Chinese either. Remember that even Hilton, Holiday Inn, etc all have achinese names so just saying the hotel name in egliah won’t help. Taxis are super cheap in Beijing, compared to other major cities such as London, New York, Rome, etc. So paying 250 rmb for what’s often a 45 min ride is pretty good.
You'd think that they'd be able to read a Chinese address now that the language has been dumbed down to philistine level in the form of simplified characters supposedly to boost literacy.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Isochronous
You'd think that they'd be able to read a Chinese address now that the language has been dumbed down to philistine level in the form of simplified characters supposedly to boost literacy.
Well, I have never met a taxi driver who could not read an address but these guys don't have the highest level of education otherwise they would not be driving taxis. The problem is usually with adresses written in pinyin as this is unreadable.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JPDM
Well, I have never met a taxi driver who could not read an address but these guys don't have the highest level of education otherwise they would not be driving taxis. The problem is usually with adresses written in pinyin as this is unreadable.
Pinyin is not good when attempting to communicate with Chinese speakers. If your spoken Mandarin is decent, that works. Otherwise, print out the address in Chinese.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Who would be stupid enough to give an address written in pinyin as opposed to characters?
tentseller likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:55 am

Who would be stupid enough to give an address written in pinyin as opposed to characters?
I have seen it been tried a lot.
tentseller likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have seen it been tried a lot.
Anyone who tries this is not using their brains.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:02 pm

A lot of tourists don't know better. Most tourists aren't knowledgable with China the way we are on this forum. One of the reasons why taxi drivers do not stop when they see a foreigner.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I can imagine someone asking for the address and being told "here, tell the driver this -" and then writing the address in pinyin so the non-Chinese speaker can try to tell the driver. Of course, then the person provides the written pinyin to the driver, figuring they can sort it out.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by Marco Frigatti
The company you are referring to, offers private cars as an alternative to taxis. It’s not a scam. I have used them quite often and they are reputable, honest and transparent. Their fees are based on your destination and usually is around 250-300 rmb for central BEIJING + 10 rmb in cash for the motorway. You can see the fare coming up in the screen as they input your deatination. Taxis are generally fine, but the line can require waiting up to 1 hour at the airport, also private cars are often vans and you can fit 6 people with luggage, whereas taxis are generally for 2 people 2 suitcases. The desk understands basic English and you can agree on the destination, so there is no further need to explain to the driver where you want to go. Most drivers in Beijing would not be able to read an English address and even if you have the Chinese they may not be able to read Chinese either. Remember that even Hilton, Holiday Inn, etc all have achinese names so just saying the hotel name in egliah won’t help. Taxis are super cheap in Beijing, compared to other major cities such as London, New York, Rome, etc. So paying 250 rmb for what’s often a 45 min ride is pretty good.
I would call it a scam because they are position themselves to look like the standard taxi line, but they are not. The price they quote is about 5 times the regular fare (outrageous). The woman behind the desk looks super sad when you ask if this is regular taxi. Apparently, she is not allowed to lie and confesses that it is a private car. If it wasn't a scam, they would not pretend to be something that they are not. It is a pretty annoying start to a Beijing trip.
magnus.ant likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.