Beijing airport taxi scam attempt at taxi information desk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing airport taxi scam attempt at taxi information desk

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: DL GM
I nearly fell victim to a taxi scam at PVG once myself. Inbound flight had been delayed over 6 hours so didn't get in until after midnight, I was last through immigration because the TWOV lane was closed and the only working immigration officer had no idea what the 144 hour TWOV was. Got my bag and went to an ATM to get some cash with my Schwab debit card and the ATM wasn't working, which probably should have tipped me off as there were a few touts lurking near them, conveniently offering pay by credit card. It's almost like they knew the ATM wasn't working.

Luckily I had enough yuan left from a previous visit and some yuan I had gotten at HKG exchanging out some HKD before I left that I was pretty sure I could cover a taxi. Battled through the touts and got to the hotel safely with a little money to spare. Hit up the hotel ATM in the morning to be safe. Had I not been carrying yuan with me, I'm not sure what choice I would have had.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

[QUOTE=RumPatrol;29669404. Had I not been carrying yuan with me, I'm not sure what choice I would have had.[/QUOTE]
Wechat or alipay. I rarely carry physical cash these days.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Steve M
A few years ago, I got taxi scammed in Shanghai, from the Maglev station to the Bund. The guy had some kind of rigged meter, and quoted me a fixed price in advance which seemed high. I figured I'd have the hotel bellman help straighten things out upon arrival, but then I got the "I can't go into the driveway" part of the scam. Interestingly, it appeared at first glance to be a legitimate taxi, with markings, the security panel, and very worn sets of the stickers with official announcements and rules posted. Looking back on it, I suspect that it at one time was a legitimate taxi, but one that had been taken out of official service and was now used as a gypsy.
Exact thing happened to me at that Maglev station. It was marked as a taxi and parked near/next to the official taxi rank. Also rigged meter and "can't pull into the hotel driveway"
Old May 31, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
We just in Beijing earlier this month during May Day holiday and same scam going on with rigged meters and can't go into the hotel driveway speech. In our case, we did not pay the meter price and paid what we thought was fair. Driver didn't like it..started to protest abbd we just got o
out of the taxi.. but we didn't like the scam...hotels don't want to deal with ir..and just shrug their shoulders..its not pleasant.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:13 am

Another variation on scam

First time in Beijing in 30 years or so. Did everything right, I think. Ignored all the people trying to entice us into unofficial black taxis. Got into the official taxi line, waited until we got to the front, got into taxi next in line. Verified taxi sign on roof and first letter of license plate was B. After we got luggage loaded into trunk, looked for meter on dash and did not see one. Said “meter.” Driver pulls out hand held device about the size of an old pager and says “meter.” My spider sense starts to tingle but we got into the car in the official airport taxi line, seems to have legitimate taxi license plate, luggage already in trunk. I have not been in a cab in Beijing in 30 years, so I am thinking maybe meter is different than it used to be? We take off, hand held “meter” disappears into his pocket or somewhere. I ask to see it but he’s pretending not to understand. Get to hotel, he parks out front on the street without pulling into driveway, pulls out the “meter” and it reads 387 RMB for what should be 100 RMB or so. I refuse to pay, but it’s a bit of a challenge— luggage is in trunk, we can’t just get out and leave luggage behind. Finally give him 200, he says no 300, I say no and he doesn’t push it. So we paid double, which is better than quadruple I guess. I suppose as soon as I saw nothing that looked like an official meter I should have gotten out of the car, unloaded our luggage and insisted on a new taxi from the airport guy running the taxi line. But all this transpired in the official taxi line at the airport. Not clear to me what would have happened if a native Chinese speaker had gotten into the taxi. Did the driver have a real meter that he disconnected and hid under the seat when he saw two foreigners? Anyway, lesson is beware of scams even in the official taxi line. They seem to be getting bolder.

Last edited by ravenalive; Oct 11, 2018 at 1:19 am Reason: Typos
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:35 am

I have the habit of never paying the driver from inside the taxi when I have luggage. I first get out, open the trunk and get my luggage, then I pay. It takes away the driver's advantage in any bargaining (which there shouldn't be).
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:10 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by ravenalive
Not clear to me what would have happened if a native Chinese speaker had gotten into the taxi.
If the passenger had a Beijing accent I doubt driver would attempt a scan. Once in Shanghai, driver
missed destination and had to circle around block. A screaming match ensued over the extra 1 yuan charge.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:56 pm

One thought in a case like this is to pull out your phone and snap a shot of the car license, the driver and the ID placard on the dashboard. Of course I'd consider the surrounding circumstances before doing this.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:02 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by 889
Of course I'd consider the surrounding circumstances before doing this.
Best Advice...Move On
Do not contest your cab fare and then get into a an argument with your taxi driver in China. Because if you end up coming to blows, there is a decent chance you will end up in jail and there is even some chance you will end up in jail merely for not paying.
What should you do to prevent these sorts of problems? One, let it go.
You’ve been scammed out of ten dollars? Put that in perspective and move on.

https://www.chinalawblog.com/2017/08/china-bar-fights-and-taxi-cab-disputes-avoid-them-please.html
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:58 pm

Not a scam!

The company you are referring to, offers private cars as an alternative to taxis. It’s not a scam. I have used them quite often and they are reputable, honest and transparent. Their fees are based on your destination and usually is around 250-300 rmb for central BEIJING + 10 rmb in cash for the motorway. You can see the fare coming up in the screen as they input your deatination. Taxis are generally fine, but the line can require waiting up to 1 hour at the airport, also private cars are often vans and you can fit 6 people with luggage, whereas taxis are generally for 2 people 2 suitcases. The desk understands basic English and you can agree on the destination, so there is no further need to explain to the driver where you want to go. Most drivers in Beijing would not be able to read an English address and even if you have the Chinese they may not be able to read Chinese either. Remember that even Hilton, Holiday Inn, etc all have achinese names so just saying the hotel name in egliah won’t help. Taxis are super cheap in Beijing, compared to other major cities such as London, New York, Rome, etc. So paying 250 rmb for what’s often a 45 min ride is pretty good.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Paying twice the taxi fare is incredibly stupid. I go to Beijing every month, and have never waited in the taxi queue for more than 15 minutes.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by moondog
Paying twice the taxi fare is incredibly stupid. I go to Beijing every month, and have never waited in the taxi queue for more than 15 minutes.
Agree that most of the time it's not necessary, but it's also not true to say that lines are always short. Arriving into T2 after 23:00, lines are often 40-60 minutes for a cab. When we got back from vacation in Thaliand recently, we would have gladly paid double to skip the queue, but that desk is not available at T2...

It's most useful when has a lot of gear: the desk offers minivans. We have used when coming back from a family ski trip...Skis are a complete no-no for a regular Beijing taxi. But honestly, in those circumstances, usually best to just book a minivan via a driver pick-up service, to make sure you get what you need...

tb
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by moondog
But if you don't have a Chinese face and don't speak Mandarin, you will be racially profiled and hustled by scammers. It's a sad reality of life as a foreigner in PEK and most other parts of China.

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Best Advice...Move On
Do not contest your cab fare and then get into a an argument with your taxi driver in China. Because if you end up coming to blows, there is a decent chance you will end up in jail and there is even some chance you will end up in jail merely for not paying.
What should you do to prevent these sorts of problems? One, let it go.
You’ve been scammed out of ten dollars? Put that in perspective and move on.

https://www.chinalawblog.com/2017/08...em-please.html
That's Chinese justice for you!

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Exact thing happened to me at that Maglev station. It was marked as a taxi and parked near/next to the official taxi rank. Also rigged meter and "can't pull into the hotel driveway"
This is why I avoid the Maglev - aside from the fact that Longyang Road terminus is nowhere near the centre of Shanghai - that taxi rank has always been notorious for scammers.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Isochronous
But if you don't have a Chinese face and don't speak Mandarin, you will be racially profiled and hustled by scammers. It's a sad reality of life as a foreigner in PEK and most other parts of China.
Chinese are subject to another large number of scams not targeting foreigners. Is that racial profiling? Nothing sad about life as a foreigner, not compared to the averge Chinese.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by JPDM
Chinese are subject to another large number of scams not targeting foreigners. Is that racial profiling? Nothing sad about life as a foreigner, not compared to the averge Chinese.
I'm well aware of the other scams that target Chinese (the telephone-based ones in particular). It is racial profiling because different demographics are targeted by different types of scams. The average Chinese doesn't suffer this problem with taxis to the same extent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.