Wiki Posts
Search

Help: Apply Chinese tourist Vise without going to embassy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Help: Apply Chinese tourist Vise without going to embassy

Good day!

Few friends of mine (US citizens) are going to China this summer. Based on Chinese Embassy's website, they don't accept mail-in application but they allow travel agent/friends/family to submit the application instead.
Any recommendation on this kind of service? Total four applications.

Thank you.

Last edited by superpanjy; Feb 1, 2018 at 11:52 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've never applied in person for my Chinese visas; I always use a good visa service agency. [You might look for details and suggestions in the China destination forum on FT. In particular, there's a big sticky thread about Chinese visas.]
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:53 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've never applied in person for my Chinese visas; I always use a good visa service agency. [You might look for details and suggestions in the China destination forum on FT. In particular, there's a big sticky thread about Chinese visas.]
This. Get a good agent to process it for you.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
That said, the in person process isn’t *so* bad if you do have the ability to go to a city with an embassy or consulate. Expect to spend a few hours waiting for your number to be called, but the process comes with free entertainment from people trying to jump line or demand special treatment and getting summarily rejected by the bored security guards.

The process is lengthy, but the paperwork is at least pretty clear and rational. And now that visas are good for a decade, you only need to do it once for the foreseeable future. I strongly recommend taking advantage - who knows how much longer the bilateral agreement will hold out if immigration policies change.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Use an agency. Went with a big group a couple years back and the travel agency handled everything. Just be prepared to be without your passport for 6 weeks (that's how long it took to get mine back).
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
How long will you be staying? For some major cities like Beijing and Shanghai, you can do what's called a visa-free transit. As long as your next country is different from the immediate one you're coming from (e.g., if you connect in Japan, that's the country you're coming from even if you originated in the US). That gives you 144 hours to stay in that city without a need for a visa. For example, I have a flight to Beijing coming up where I connect in NRT on the outbound but my return flight is non-stop to DTW. That qualifies for the "visa free transit" even though I'm not really transiting.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
FWIW I used CIBT to get my visa. It was fast and easy, probably not the cheapest but my company paid...
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by superpanjy
Good day!

Few friends of mine (US citizens) are going to China this summer. Based on Chinese Embassy's website, they don't accept mail-in application but they allow travel agent/friends/family to submit the application instead.
Any recommendation on this kind of service? Total four applications.

Thank you.
PM me for a recommendation. PRC Consulates and Embassies are jurisdictional, so a visa service in Washington will likely
be required.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I agree with the advisability of using a service.

We have the advantage of being only about 30 minutes from PHL Chinatown, and typically use one of the travel agencies there (having a Chinese wife facilitates knowing who to deal with ).

While I suspect that RDU has no Chinatown, there must be good visa service available to you in your vicinity.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Use Travisa. They were very helpful in getting my wife’s visa while I was working in China.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Skipping the embassy seems to me like you're missing out on an important part of the Chinese tourist experience. There was a lot of jockeying for position and line-cutting, confusion at the visa counter, and even some raised voices and haphazard policing by the security guards. I found it a great introduction to actually visiting China.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 1:47 pm

I Used VisaHQ.com

Very satisfied.

-jeremy
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:55 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT China Forum
Thanks...
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I just got mine back. I used an agency that was 1/2 the price of everyone else. I dunno the FT rules so I will PM you the name. Went without a hitch.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:06 am

I JUST used Passport Visa Express and it was quick and painless.

Also going to China from RDU this spring!

https://www.passportvisasexpress.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.