Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Tips China itinerary / booking guides, drivers, ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tips China itinerary / booking guides, drivers, ...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:01 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
FT Nation,

I'm planning to add a few days in Beijing to a work trip in March/April. I'd like to see the Wall, and then Tiananmen, Forbidden City, some temples, and Houhai area. I've been to Shanghai a few times and think a private guide will be best.

TA seems full of fake reviews, so it isn't helping me find the private guide.

Does anyone have recent experience with a private guide that you'd recommend? This will be two or three days, one-on-one, and I'll want to customize the trip.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TBD
FT Nation,

I'm planning to add a few days in Beijing to a work trip in March/April. I'd like to see the Wall, and then Tiananmen, Forbidden City, some temples, and Houhai area. I've been to Shanghai a few times and think a private guide will be best.

TA seems full of fake reviews, so it isn't helping me find the private guide.

Does anyone have recent experience with a private guide that you'd recommend? This will be two or three days, one-on-one, and I'll want to customize the trip.

Thanks for your feedback.
What makes you think that a private guide would be best?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:03 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by moondog
What makes you think that a private guide would be best?
I want to avoid crowds (including within my "group") and will want to adjust the itinerary as I like.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TBD
I want to avoid crowds (including within my "group") and will want to adjust the itinerary as I like.
Well, group tours are obviously the pits (the gift shop visits being the most annoying aspect), but unless you're invited by senior officials, I can't imagine a guide will help you avoid crowds.

1. Tianmen Square is a what you is what you get type of attraction

2. I usually do Forbidden City without any sort of assistance (because I've been many times), but I'd be shocked if you could find an actual guide that is better than the audio tour:
https://www.vmfa.museum/tours/audio-...orbidden-city/

3. Insofar as temples are concerned, you can get pretty good info (e.g. more detailed that most guides have their disposal) on the internet about any of them that are remotely famous

4. You definitely don't need a guide for Houhai/Nanluoguxiang, though there are some pretty useful maps online

5. 798, if you're into art, is pretty straight forward

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.