Do I need a VISA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do I need a VISA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by henrus
"A foreign citizen who is transiting through China by air is exempted from a visa if he/she will stay only inside the airport (without entering the boder control) for no more than 24 hours and has a valid connecting ticket with confirmed seating on an international flight."

Visa-free Entry into Mainland China

Introduction to Chinese Visa ? Embassy of the People's Republic of China in the United States of America (here is the same info on the USA Chinese Embassy website with a list of countries)

So for the OP assuming he can get a boarding pass from a transit desk, mobile boarding pass or get one at the point of origin then no visa is required. Those details are from the Chineses embassy in Australia but I'd guess for most it would be the same. I'd suggest just double checking prior to travel (with your countries Chinese embassy) and having printed copies of the details stating no visa and also your airline tickets.
Ridiculous. He will not even be allowed to board the first flight.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver, Skymiles Peon, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Chase Reserve
I do live in Michigan with an American passport so I will start searching for visa agent today. Thanks everyone for the advice!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:01 pm

Yeah, China is one place where you don't wanna muck around with their rules. Just get that visa ASAP.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver, Skymiles Peon, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Chase Reserve
Originally Posted by codex57
Yeah, China is one place where you don't wanna muck around with their rules. Just get that visa ASAP.
I found a local place that can do 3-4 day expedite. The one thing they say in their application instructions is for tourism you must supply your round trip air tickets and hotel reservation. My stop is only for 2 hours and thus I won't have a hotel reservation... hoping this won't be an isse.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Just search online for any Beijing hotel and copy down the address. The address info is just formality to have your visa processed, but you absolutely need to provide it in the application or it will be returned.

You will be asked again for your intended stay address on the landing card during your flight. On that one, you can omit.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Just search online for any Beijing hotel and copy down the address. The address info is just formality to have your visa processed, but you absolutely need to provide it in the application or it will be returned.

You will be asked again for your intended stay address on the landing card during your flight. On that one, you can omit.
Excellent, you guys are a lifesaver for this rookie.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Are you suggesting that OP should toy with Chinese bureaucracy can like you can in liberal democracies? "I change my mind" is not going to sway one single official in the interrogation room.
Particularly if they have a look at your documentation. The first question after "I change my mind" explanation will be "So why do you have a return ticket issued weeks/months before you booked your oneway to Singapore?"

Don't play around with immigration officers. The best case scenario is being thrown out. Worst case scenarios include a) arrested ,b) paying fines, c) sitting off jail sentences, d) having issues in the future when travelling to other nations (chiefly those asking you in the VOA/visa application "Have you ever been deported?"/"Have you ever been found guilty in a criminal case", etc), and e) deportation. Assuming that they let you on the plane in the first place...

@mtu_flyer: Good luck in getting that visa and enjoy your 2hrs in China
mtu_flyer likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Technically you can buy a refundable PEK-SIN ticket and take advantage of TWOV, but it is risky and illegal. The Chinese police won't arrest you for doing that, but you may face trouble when applying Chinese visa in the future.

As a Chinese citizen I once traveled to Taiwan without the special permit, the immigration officers were really mad on that.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by weiwunokenan
Technically you can buy a refundable PEK-SIN ticket and take advantage of TWOV, but it is risky and illegal. The Chinese police won't arrest you for doing that, but you may face trouble when applying Chinese visa in the future.

As a Chinese citizen I once traveled to Taiwan without the special permit, the immigration officers were really mad on that.
I'm not taking any chances here... I'll pay the money for the expedited visa and chalk it up to a learning lesson.
RolfD likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by mtu_flyer
I'm not taking any chances here... I'll pay the money for the expedited visa and chalk it up to a learning lesson.
Since the visa cost will be the same, do ask for what you--as a US passport holder--are entitled to by treaty, which is a 10 year, multiple entry tourist visa good for 60 days each stay. On the application form section 2.2 for "intended number of entries" check the "Other" box and type in "Multiple entry valid for 10 years" and section 2.5 "Longest intended stay" put "60." Most reputable agents will try to get this for their clients anyway, but it helps to fill out the form in parallel. As long as your current passport has at least 12 months of validity, you should get this visa and it will carry over into renewal passports. Consider it an investment, in case you want to do future visit or transits or mileage runs to China, you're covered for the next 10 years.

Make sure the agent knows that you want a tourist L visa, even though the purpose of your first visit is Transit.
mtu_flyer likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mtu_flyer
Is it advisable to get a VISA or is this not really necessary?
It is my 2 cents. PLEASE TAKE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISKS.

In my opinion, while OP should get a visa, the visa itself will not be used. The purpose of the visa is simply to satisfy the airline (DL in this case).
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:35 am

Of course he'll enter using the visa.

And he certainly should. If he misses the connecting flight for some reason -- illness, traffic problem, etc. -- he won't have to worry about dealing with immigration because of overstaying his TWOV period.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Another user name to remember
You can also book a fully refundable PEK-SIN ticket (or any other 3rd location ticket outside China and not being DTW) and use that to get on the flight (using the TWOV). Use the ticket to get on the flight to PEK, clear customs, change your mind, etc.
Originally Posted by weiwunokenan

As others have said, you cannot do this.

You will almost certainly get caught at some stage, and there have been data points of passengers getting physically taken off flights - even after they have boarded - when they have tried this. You then get questioned and possibly fined.

You may not be 'arrested' but you will be detained.

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Jan 19, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Visa scheduled to arrive a day before my flight... cutting it close so keeping my fingers crossed it arrives on time and they don't reject it.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
All completed visa applications are accepted. I never heard any rejection from my friends. Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.