Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

HKG-CAN-JFK on 2 tickets. Airside transfer at CAN possible?

Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

In February, I have a CZ flight booked from CAN-JFK departing at 01:30. I'll be in Hong Kong the day before.

Options to get to Guangzhou are the two-hour train ride or a one-hour Cathay Dragon flight, both leaving at around 20:00.

If I fly, will I be able to transfer at CAN and receive a boarding pass from CZ airside, without clearing immigration, even though it's a separate ticket?

The main thing I'm trying to avoid is the exasperating hand-baggage weight check that I experienced the last time I flew out of CAN.

I do realize the risk in booking separate tickets and that I could miss the CZ flight with no recourse if the KA flight is late or canceled.

Thanks,
Seth
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by sethweinstein
In February, I have a CZ flight booked from CAN-JFK departing at 01:30. I'll be in Hong Kong the day before.

Options to get to Guangzhou are the two-hour train ride or a one-hour Cathay Dragon flight, both leaving at around 20:00.

If I fly, will I be able to transfer at CAN and receive a boarding pass from CZ airside, without clearing immigration, even though it's a separate ticket?

The main thing I'm trying to avoid is the exasperating hand-baggage weight check that I experienced the last time I flew out of CAN.

I do realize the risk in booking separate tickets and that I could miss the CZ flight with no recourse if the KA flight is late or canceled.

Thanks,
Seth
Do you have any hold luggage? If so, you'll need to collect it landside and re-check it. I have stayed airside on an Intl-Intl transfer in CAN before but that was on a single ticket and both flights on China Southern.

If you take the train from Hong Kong to Guangzhou East allow about an hour for the metro/bus/taxi to the airport.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ardecos
Do you have any hold luggage? If so, you'll need to collect it landside and re-check it. I have stayed airside on an Intl-Intl transfer in CAN before but that was on a single ticket and both flights on China Southern.

If you take the train from Hong Kong to Guangzhou East allow about an hour for the metro/bus/taxi to the airport.
Thanks. I won't have hold luggage, but my hand baggage is flirting with being overweight. Mainly I'm trying to avoid checking in at CAN, where there was a double hand-baggage weight check. Even if something similar exists at HKG, it cannot possibly be as rudely presented as what I experienced at CAN last year.

Seth

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.