Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Visiting Great Wall in January?

Old Nov 16, 17, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k

I am visiting my brother in Changsha with my family in early January. My mom has never been to Beijing and has always wanted to see the Great Wall, we are considering spending a couple of days in Beijing on our way to Changsha.

I know it will be very cold but has anyone visited before? Is it so cold or windy that it would completely ruin the experience?

Thanks for any help
Old Nov 16, 17, 8:51 am

Programs: OZ Diamond
I've been a few times to the Wall, once in December to the Badaling section. It was definitely cold, but not unbearable. Temperature range in Beijing in January is roughly from -10C (overnight) to 5C. Obviously, it depends on the weather that day and you would want to come prepared in any case.

There are some benefits of doing it in winter though. It's likely to be less crowded. Also, if you are planing on walking along it, it is pretty steep in parts (it is on hills, after all) and doing so in winter might be easier than in summer heat.
Old Nov 16, 17, 11:59 am

Programs: Delta Gold (2020)
I visited in December in 2015 and it was cold but nice and empty and easy (relatively speaking) to climb EXCEPT for the ice. We were at an unimproved section without handrails and I did end up sliding on my butt at one point, but I thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless. It was easy enough to see the ice and stop climbing at that point, but I was stupid and wanted to get up to a tower, despite the lack of actual stairs at that point....
Old Nov 16, 17, 1:03 pm

When visiting in the winter, it is better to go in the afternoon. It is a bit warmer and the frost has melted.
Old Nov 16, 17, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by sfoflyer747 View Post
Is it so cold or windy that it would completely ruin the experience?
Yes. When it's windy, it's awfully unbearable. But that would mean significantly better air quality in the city. The mountains directly to the north of Beijing all suddenly appear.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: