Opinion: without Alipay and Wechat Pay, you are screwed in Shanghai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 7, 2023, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
China has largely moved to a cashless system with two widely accepted payment apps, AliPay and WeChat Pay. Both require extensive identity verification. Assuming you do not live in China (i.e. you are visiting for tourism/short term business, do NOT have a residence permit):

If you are coming for multiple visits:
  1. July 2023 update: A phone number does not seem to be required any more.
  2. [Optional but recommended] Open a new AliPay account (even if you have an existing one) because your old one could be in a weird state.
  3. Verify your passport with AliPay. If you have one, use your Chinese (+86) phone number over a foreign phone number. Many apps act differently if you use foreign phone numbers.
  4. Your account should be fully active and you can have a friend top up your balance on AliPay and pay with the balance.
  5. Add a Visa, MasterCard, Diners Club or Discover card to your account. For small purchases you can pay with your foreign credit card with no fee. A purchase of Y271 triggered a 3% fee.
If you need a phone number:
Go to a China Mobile or China Unicom store and get a cell phone number (estimated time 2.5 hours). Ideally go to the largest branch with most representatives as they will have the best chance of figuring it out. All you need is your passport and cash to pay the initial deposit (I brought Y200). Tourist visa is fine. You want to open this in the area that you will spend the most time in, as they may give you data locked to your province. I am paying Y40 for 12GB data (you need to keep the plan active in some form, even when you are outside of China). More details in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35217727-post24.html

If you are coming for a one time visit (maximum 10,000 CNY in 180 day period). This method is not currently recommended as the fees are higher than the above method and ID verification is still required.
  1. Download AliPay from the App Store
  2. In the search box at the top, type "TourCard"
  3. Verify your information and load money onto it. You will be charged a 5% fee for adding money. If the money is not used fully after 180 days, it will be refunded to your card. The current limit is 10,000 CNY. If you want to top up more than that, you can cancel the card after it expires and reopen a new card. The remaining amount of chargeable balance (max 10,000 CNY) will not be reset if you apply for a refund. My understanding is that since this is linked to your passport, if you need more than 10,000 CNY, you have to use another solution. Restrictions: You cannot transfer money to another account. Does not support wealth management, red envelope, etc.

Currently it is not recommended to open a bank account.

Print Wikipost

Opinion: without Alipay and Wechat Pay, you are screwed in Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Assuming you are referring to Apple Pay, I believe it works at Union Pay terminals, which is cool if true, but lots of merchants don't accept Union Pay.

Since you "need to get some kind of app working," you might as well set aside an hour to open a bank account.
Apple Pay definitely works if it's bound to a local Union Pay card. I have no idea whether it would work if it's bound to a foreign issued non-Union Pay card.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
For his next trick, this British citizen/resident is going to attempt to get a China Unionpay card, which may or may not help with the other services. It is possible. UK only, at the moment, I think, but a local clearing company, Moorwand Payments has partnered with China Union Pay to issue cards in the U.K.

https://www.emergingpayments.org/art...omers-in-uk-2/

The product is called UPay:

https://upaycard.com/

Their site is interesting for what it doesn’t mention. The China angle is none existent. The card works with any terminal that takes UnionPay (it turns out rather a lot actually do, here in Little Britain). Of course, being a bona fide UnionPay is one thing. Whether or not it will work in China is another matter. If it does, then it’s a good option for visitors who are unable to open a bank account, access mobile payments and so on. Since it’s effectively free, I’ve nothing to lose by trying.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 5:53 am

I've used a non-Mainland UnionPay card in Mainland machines.

However, you cannot set up UnionPay QR code payments with a non-Mainland card, some HK cards maybe excepted. If your phone has NFC I don't think you can get that working, either.

(Indeed, to date it doesn't seem possible to open the NFC function on a Mainland UnionPay card if the account was opened with a passport. Those with different experience please post.)
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
Originally Posted by JPDM
Keep your life simple, just use cash.
That's my plan. I hope the places I want to visit take cash.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:08 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Keep your life simple, just use cash.
I'm not sure about Shanghai these days, but Shenzhen is moving in an increasingly cash-less direction.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
They could start by letting AliPayHK make payments outside HK.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
I'm not sure about Shanghai these days, but Shenzhen is moving in an increasingly cash-less direction.
Recently, my better half spent 2.5 months in China and did not use cash one time. I was with her for one month and I used cash only. Both work fine.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:41 am

Recently, my better half spent 2.5 months in China and did not use cash one time. I was with her for one month and I used cash only. Both work fine.
In most places in China cash works absolutely fine in 90% of cases. In places like Shenzhen things are changing very quickly though.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 3:32 pm

In most places in China cash works absolutely fine in 90% of cases. In places like Shenzhen things are changing very quickly though.
Where were you unable to use cash?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:11 pm

Where were you unable to use cash?
Typically at smaller establishments such as small shops, eateries or street vendors it is increasingly common not to accept cash. The main reason being (perceived -- Shenzhen is in fact a very safe city by any standards) unsafety/risk of theft.

Handling of cash is actually a big cost to many small businesses, given they need to do daily deposits at the bank etc. For these guys, Alipay/Wechat is the perfect solution.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:25 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Are you referring to Luo Hu, Futian, and Nanshan? I tend to hang out in Luo Hu and Bao’an, and find that cash is still fine outside the three core districts.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Handling of cash is actually a big cost to many small businesses, given they need to do daily deposits at the bank etc. For these guys, Alipay/Wechat is the perfect solution.
Counterfeit bank notes also seem to be a bigger problem in Guangdong than many other places.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by tauphi
Apple Pay definitely works if it's bound to a local Union Pay card. I have no idea whether it would work if it's bound to a foreign issued non-Union Pay card.
^^ This. Last time I tried, Apple Pay with a foreign credit card did NOT work, and I was told that it only worked with a local Union Pay card. A non-China (ie Macau) Union Pay card also did not work at that time. In any case, Apple Pay isn't nearly as widely accepted as WeChat Pay or AliPay. While regular credit cards work for major retailers and hotels, cash still works fine in most cities for your typical shops although many vending machines seem to have gotten rid of cash payments.

Wechat Pay required a local bank card and telephone number but ALSO stopped working after a while until you "verify your identity" with a passport scan and selfie. I haven't gotten around to setting up AliPay so I can't give insight into that.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:45 am

For me the payment situation is one of the reason I am hoping my first visit to Shanghai last week will also be my last. As a visting foreigner it's basically cash, which small business owners seem to accept reluctantly, or sticking with the big expensive international places.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wijnands
For me the payment situation is one of the reason I am hoping my first visit to Shanghai last week will also be my last. As a visting foreigner it's basically cash, which small business owners seem to accept reluctantly, or sticking with the big expensive international places.
So, you couldn't use Mobike, vending machines, and had issues when attempting to pay for 小笼包 with 100s? And, your conclusion is to simply write off the place?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.