Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Opinion: without Alipay and Wechat Pay, you are screwed in Shanghai

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 7, 2023, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
China has largely moved to a cashless system with two widely accepted payment apps, AliPay and WeChat Pay. Both require extensive identity verification. Assuming you do not live in China (i.e. you are visiting for tourism/short term business, do NOT have a residence permit):

If you are coming for multiple visits:
  1. July 2023 update: A phone number does not seem to be required any more.
  2. [Optional but recommended] Open a new AliPay account (even if you have an existing one) because your old one could be in a weird state.
  3. Verify your passport with AliPay. If you have one, use your Chinese (+86) phone number over a foreign phone number. Many apps act differently if you use foreign phone numbers.
  4. Your account should be fully active and you can have a friend top up your balance on AliPay and pay with the balance.
  5. Add a Visa, MasterCard, Diners Club or Discover card to your account. For small purchases you can pay with your foreign credit card with no fee. A purchase of Y271 triggered a 3% fee.
If you need a phone number:
Go to a China Mobile or China Unicom store and get a cell phone number (estimated time 2.5 hours). Ideally go to the largest branch with most representatives as they will have the best chance of figuring it out. All you need is your passport and cash to pay the initial deposit (I brought Y200). Tourist visa is fine. You want to open this in the area that you will spend the most time in, as they may give you data locked to your province. I am paying Y40 for 12GB data (you need to keep the plan active in some form, even when you are outside of China). More details in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35217727-post24.html

If you are coming for a one time visit (maximum 10,000 CNY in 180 day period). This method is not currently recommended as the fees are higher than the above method and ID verification is still required.
  1. Download AliPay from the App Store
  2. In the search box at the top, type "TourCard"
  3. Verify your information and load money onto it. You will be charged a 5% fee for adding money. If the money is not used fully after 180 days, it will be refunded to your card. The current limit is 10,000 CNY. If you want to top up more than that, you can cancel the card after it expires and reopen a new card. The remaining amount of chargeable balance (max 10,000 CNY) will not be reset if you apply for a refund. My understanding is that since this is linked to your passport, if you need more than 10,000 CNY, you have to use another solution. Restrictions: You cannot transfer money to another account. Does not support wealth management, red envelope, etc.

Currently it is not recommended to open a bank account.

Print Wikipost

Opinion: without Alipay and Wechat Pay, you are screwed in Shanghai

Old Apr 28, 2018, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by onuhistorian0116
I get the sense that things are just designed to not work smoothly. Your employer dictates which bank they will deposit your paycheck into, if your employer doesn’t pick China Citic or ICBC or one of the handful of other banks that allows foreigners to link their WeChat with their passport number, you end up needing to have a second bank account for WeChat. Or even, in my case, I had a job that paid into ICBC, but the first card I linked to WeChat was China Citic. China Citic is about the only bank in the country that does not write foreign names in all caps, where as my name on my ICBC is in all caps. I am unable to link the ICBC card because the name is different, and the system is too limited to accept small changes in names such capitization (or spaces between names, which can be another issue).
I too had troubles with the different spellings of my name and adding them to my WeChat account at the same time (you could always delete all cards, disassociate, and readd any card). Then one day I figured out that you can have more than one WeChat account.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
I have read that if you download the wechat and alipay apps in China (as of some point in 2018), you can now use foreign credit cards, but that the international app does not allow the use of foreign credit cards. Is this not correct?
Old May 16, 2018, 9:09 am

The problem with these apps is they have different functions, and a foreign credit card gives you access to just a few functions. Exactly what those functions are is obscure, but I haven't come across anyone who's been able to get QR payments working with a foreign credit card. That still seems to require a Chinese bank card which you have been able to get real-name verified.
Old May 16, 2018, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 889
The problem with these apps is they have different functions, and a foreign credit card gives you access to just a few functions. Exactly what those functions are is obscure, but I haven't come across anyone who's been able to get QR payments working with a foreign credit card. That still seems to require a Chinese bank card which you have been able to get real-name verified.
While I admit that foreign cards are almost useless, this problem is pretty easy to address by simply sending money to each other. I am personally willing to offer up to 10k to any FT member member who is credit worthy.
Old May 16, 2018, 6:54 pm

My understanding is that doesn't open QR payments. You now need to complete name verification and that means you need a Chinese bank card that works for foreigners. If I'm wrong I'd be happy to know it.

(It's possible this approach worked before name verification became mandatory.)

Last edited by 889; May 16, 2018 at 7:20 pm
Old May 16, 2018, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by 889
My understanding is that doesn't open QR payments. You now need to complete name verification and that means you need a Chinese bank card that works for foreigners. If I'm wrong I'd be happy to know it.

(It's possible this approach worked before name verification became mandatory.)
Foreign cards are only useful for phone loads IME, but I am happy juice up to Y10k for any trusted FT member.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:33 am

What am I missing? If someone sends you money I don't think you can now use it for much unless you've completed real-name registration with a Chinese bank card. In which case you don't need anyone to send you money.
Old May 19, 2018, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by 889
What am I missing? If someone sends you money I don't think you can now use it for much unless you've completed real-name registration with a Chinese bank card. In which case you don't need anyone to send you money.
I've had no problems linking an international WeChat with an international credit card to use the WeChat Pay function in general. Charging it is a bit more challenging, but not really..

And as moondog said. Just get someone to send you some money on WeChat (for real cash. Most WeChat users have tons of money in their accounts since many companies even pay bonuses and stuff via it and are happy to drain it a bit for cash upfront)

And then not splurge onto it, but use it for smaller transactions and it will keep for a very long time.

That 300 RMB meal can be easy paid by cash or credit card. That 2.90 RMB Coke at the convenience store is a better use for WeChat pay.

Oh, and use the frequent "free gifts", "discount on using various mobile payment apps" etc. offers, and you'll get often up to 20% back (often with a direct discount at shops or in-app red pockets)

Using WeChat Pay (and Alipay) really isn't difficult.

Of course the Laowai having a 3-night visit to PVG or being on a two-week guided tour through China won't need it. But any half-seasoned traveller in China will definitely want to have it up and running. It's easy and convenient. I wouldn't want to go without it.

China really surpassed the west with it's mobile payment systems. To think of it, in Germany most shops don't even offer credit card payments.. LOL!
Old May 26, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Heading to Beijing from US and while I’m sure I could get by without it, it would certainly be easier to have a WeChat wallet setup. Looks like there may be a workaround if I receive a Red Packet. Is anyone able to help try? Can be at 0.01 RMB according to what I’ve read.

Would greatly appreciate any advice/suggestions.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by MichaelKade
Heading to Beijing from US and while I’m sure I could get by without it, it would certainly be easier to have a WeChat wallet setup. Looks like there may be a workaround if I receive a Red Packet. Is anyone able to help try? Can be at 0.01 RMB according to what I’ve read.

Would greatly appreciate any advice/suggestions.
Please send a friend request to moondogsh. I'll send you y1 myself, and also invite you to our group (the QR code method no longer works).
MichaelKade likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I'm also heading to China (Shanghai) in late October, and would also appreciate some help setting up Wechat and Alipay! I wouldn't mind opening a bank account and depositing some money if it would be useful for future trips!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by vd0t
I'm also heading to China (Shanghai) in late October, and would also appreciate some help setting up Wechat and Alipay! I wouldn't mind opening a bank account and depositing some money if it would be useful for future trips!
1. Download both apps before your trip
2. After you arrive get a local SIM
3. Open an account at CMB or ICBC
-other banks might work now, but I'm certain these two do
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
1. Download both apps before your trip
2. After you arrive get a local SIM
3. Open an account at CMB or ICBC
-other banks might work now, but I'm certain these two do
Thank you!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:41 am

Be aware that you may have great difficulty finding a branch that will open an account for you if you're traveling on a tourist visa.

Be aware too that getting everything working right on those apps is no walk in the park.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by 889
Be aware that you may have great difficulty finding a branch that will open an account for you if you're traveling on a tourist visa.

Be aware too that getting everything working right on those apps is no walk in the park.
I have opened many bank accounts, and have never been asked to show my visa or rp. A non hotel address is useful though

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.