Opinion: without Alipay and Wechat Pay, you are screwed in Shanghai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 7, 2023, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gudugan
China has largely moved to a cashless system with two widely accepted payment apps, AliPay and WeChat Pay. Both require extensive identity verification. Assuming you do not live in China (i.e. you are visiting for tourism/short term business, do NOT have a residence permit):

If you are coming for multiple visits:
  1. July 2023 update: A phone number does not seem to be required any more.
  2. [Optional but recommended] Open a new AliPay account (even if you have an existing one) because your old one could be in a weird state.
  3. Verify your passport with AliPay. If you have one, use your Chinese (+86) phone number over a foreign phone number. Many apps act differently if you use foreign phone numbers.
  4. Your account should be fully active and you can have a friend top up your balance on AliPay and pay with the balance.
  5. Add a Visa, MasterCard, Diners Club or Discover card to your account. For small purchases you can pay with your foreign credit card with no fee. A purchase of Y271 triggered a 3% fee.
If you need a phone number:
Go to a China Mobile or China Unicom store and get a cell phone number (estimated time 2.5 hours). Ideally go to the largest branch with most representatives as they will have the best chance of figuring it out. All you need is your passport and cash to pay the initial deposit (I brought Y200). Tourist visa is fine. You want to open this in the area that you will spend the most time in, as they may give you data locked to your province. I am paying Y40 for 12GB data (you need to keep the plan active in some form, even when you are outside of China). More details in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35217727-post24.html

If you are coming for a one time visit (maximum 10,000 CNY in 180 day period). This method is not currently recommended as the fees are higher than the above method and ID verification is still required.
  1. Download AliPay from the App Store
  2. In the search box at the top, type "TourCard"
  3. Verify your information and load money onto it. You will be charged a 5% fee for adding money. If the money is not used fully after 180 days, it will be refunded to your card. The current limit is 10,000 CNY. If you want to top up more than that, you can cancel the card after it expires and reopen a new card. The remaining amount of chargeable balance (max 10,000 CNY) will not be reset if you apply for a refund. My understanding is that since this is linked to your passport, if you need more than 10,000 CNY, you have to use another solution. Restrictions: You cannot transfer money to another account. Does not support wealth management, red envelope, etc.

Currently it is not recommended to open a bank account.

Print Wikipost

Opinion: without Alipay and Wechat Pay, you are screwed in Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by moondog
So, you couldn't use Mobike, vending machines, and had issues when attempting to pay for 小笼包 with 100s? And, your conclusion is to simply write off the place?
I couldn't use a lot of things between the lack of a readily accepted payment method and the fact I don't speak or read chinese (using the term 小笼包 is a nice way to show that you apparently have language skills).
My conclusion is to write off the place because I did not enjoy visiting it (urban sprawls are not my preferred habitats) and that even a business trip is a lot more hassle than most other places. The combination of payment, language and a huge cultural difference makes it just not worth it to me.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by wijnands
My conclusion is to write off the place because I did not enjoy visiting it (urban sprawls are not my preferred habitats)
You're probably best off staying away from Asia if you don't like urban megacities.
YuropFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
You're probably best off staying away from Asia if you don't like urban megacities.
Very possible. Did enjoy Bangkok but that still feels like a city.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
In most places in China cash works absolutely fine in 90% of cases. In places like Shenzhen things are changing very quickly though.
Totally agree, I'd even put it higher than 90%.

I spend a lot of time in Shenzhen, basically every other month. I do have a bank account with WeChat attached and only in the past year have I embraced using WeChat pay everywhere. Before that, I was almost exclusively cash. I still whip out cash on occasion without any issue. The only issue I've had with cash in the past is not having small bills for the taxi drivers. The ATMs give out 100RMB notes and the taxi drivers hate breaking them. If that's all you have they will. Small vendors on the street would prefer WeChat pay, but they still don't want to lose a sale. I've never had them refuse cash. I've paid many restaurants with cash, some of the better restaurants will even take a US Visa card. Sometimes the staff doesn't even know that that their card reader will take it, I usually ask them to try and it works pretty often. I like trying to use a US credit card as it means less cash I need to withdraw from the ATM to replenish the RMB in my bank account or pocket.

Maybe my experience is a little outdated as I've largely switched to using WeChat pay these days.

I've seen some casual restaurants moving to a WeChat only system for ordering and I assume payment. Need to scan a QR code to open some WeChat app to order your food. I don't like those systems as they are usually Chinese only and my WeChat is sometimes flaky with these apps maybe because I have a foreign WeChat account.

I'm kind of an old fart, so I don't really see using WeChat pay or any other pay systems (ApplePay, etc.) as being necessarily faster than cash. It takes a bit of time to get the QR code up, in my estimation roughly the same amount of time for me to whip a few notes out of my pocket. Experienced cashiers can make change very fast. Maybe contactless payment is faster than having to raise a QR code but I haven't tried it yet. Like I said, I'm an old fart who always carries around enough cash for a just in case situation.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I couldn't use a lot of things between the lack of a readily accepted payment method and the fact I don't speak or read chinese (using the term 小笼包 is a nice way to show that you apparently have language skills)
I was operating under the assumption that you could read ~1000 Chinese characters, or have a translation app on your phone.

Following is our 小笼包 thread the 小龙包 (soup dumplings) thread
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:07 am

Yes! Places -- usually local chain eating places -- without a menu that point you to a Wechat QR code taped to a corner of the table that opens a mini-app from which you order and pay. I suspect this approach is going to spread quickly. So easy to add or delete menu items, and raise prices. No need for staff to take orders. The printed menu may soon become obsolete in China.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by 889
Yes! Places -- usually local chain eating places -- without a menu that point you to a Wechat QR code taped to a corner of the table that opens a mini-app from which you order and pay. I suspect this approach is going to spread quickly. So easy to add or delete menu items, and raise prices. No need for staff to take orders. The printed menu may soon become obsolete in China.
I’m traveling next month, and again in October. Some buddies of mine have commented on the same. I guess that’s the waiver the future. Some commentary is Cash is still king but I think that’s fading quickly, especially in the younger generations
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by 889
(Indeed, to date it doesn't seem possible to open the NFC function on a Mainland UnionPay card if the account was opened with a passport. Those with different experience please post.)
You mean tapping a card like PayPass? It works for me on my Chinese HSBC UnionPay credit card. The same card also works via Apple Pay.

Of course I'm pretty sure a foreign issued UnionPay card won't work with Apple Pay as the Apple Pay website clearly lists the supported financial institutions and they are all on the mainland.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:54 pm

No, you need to read that sentence in the context of the previous sentence: I'm talking about linking your card and your NFC-equipped phone so you can pay by waving your phone instead of your card. Doesn't link for me, and it looks like the problem is my card wasn't opened with a Chinese ID. But maybe others have a different experience.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:57 am

I've seen those QR codes taped to tables in the lower end restaurants. In itself it offers an opportunity to deal with non-chiinese speakers in a minimal hassle way for local staff. It would mean offering the app to foreigners and adding some (machine) translations. .

I've paid with cash in a restaurant where it was clear I was the first to do so in quite some time. They had to think where they kept the change..

I'm not against using apps, after all that's the way the chinese seem to want to do their business. All I'm saying is that there's currently no option to participate as an occasional visitor. That combined with the fact that many merchants, in the areas I've seen, very rarely conduct cash business any more and soon it will become like Sweden where cash is rare and cashless stores become normal
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've seen those QR codes taped to tables in the lower end restaurants. In itself it offers an opportunity to deal with non-chiinese speakers in a minimal hassle way for local staff. It would mean offering the app to foreigners and adding some (machine) translations. .

I've paid with cash in a restaurant where it was clear I was the first to do so in quite some time. They had to think where they kept the change..

I'm not against using apps, after all that's the way the chinese seem to want to do their business. All I'm saying is that there's currently no option to participate as an occasional visitor. That combined with the fact that many merchants, in the areas I've seen, very rarely conduct cash business any more and soon it will become like Sweden where cash is rare and cashless stores become normal
This (bolded part) is actually quite doable, but I'm struggling to see a viable revenue model. Basically, the local restaurants near me don't receive many foreign customers, so they certainly wouldn't finance such an app. With regard to making it universal, who would you collect money from?

For now, I dare say that the best course of action is to join our Wechat group, and post photos of the menu board. Someone will reliably advise you on what to order within 2 minutes.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:00 am

"...It would mean offering the app to foreigners and adding some (machine) translations. ..." - There is certainly no lack of apps doing this using your phone camera.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by JPDM
"...It would mean offering the app to foreigners and adding some (machine) translations. ..." - There is certainly no lack of apps doing this using your phone camera.
Yeah.. are you deliberately misunderstanding me? Or am I explaining myself wrong?
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by 889
No, you need to read that sentence in the context of the previous sentence: I'm talking about linking your card and your NFC-equipped phone so you can pay by waving your phone instead of your card. Doesn't link for me, and it looks like the problem is my card wasn't opened with a Chinese ID. But maybe others have a different experience.
Well it works for me with HSBC China so I guess it depends on your bank. Mind you I have only tried Apple Pay so YMMV with Android phones, e.g., Huawei Pay, etc.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:13 am

On Android I can't seem to get NFC to work either on my bank's app or on the UnionPay app, though QR codes are not a problem. Bank app offers only Chinese ID as ID option when trying to link, not passport. Hard to unravel where the problem lies without spending two hours at the bank.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.