Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign SIMs and Great Firewall

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Foreign SIMs and Great Firewall

If I visit China and just use data roaming on my UK SIM, do the Great Firewall restrictions apply?

I have been looking at getting a Hong Kong cross-border SIM, as I understand that these then avoid censorship without the need for a VPN. (Correct?). Is this unique to HK SIMs or does this apply to any foreign SIMs?

Sorry for what is probably quite a basic question but there is so much confusing and contradictory information online.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:27 am

I have never tried myself but there are many reports that foreign SIMs are not subject to the Great Firewall.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Roaming bypasses the GFW—you'll still have a UK IP if you're using a UK SIM, and all traffic is routed directly through your home carrier.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: CX AY DL
data roaming is fine
Old Oct 15, 2017, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Great, thank you all for confirming.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 6:34 am

Yes, I used a Thai SIM card in China this summer and had no problem accessing Google, Facebook or Instagram.

Highly recommended to get a foreign SIM and any foreign SIM will work.

I bought the Thai one in Hong Kong as it was far cheaper than the HK cross-border SIMs.
From memory it cost 88 HKD for 8 days and 4GB of 4G + unlimited at 128 kbps..
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
The only thing to keep in mind is, if the Thai one is the one I'm thinking of, then it works with the China Mobile network. Not everyone's phones works well with their network, but I think that one is definitely a better value than the China Mobile HK SIMs.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by TravelDream
Yes, I used a Thai SIM card in China this summer and had no problem accessing Google, Facebook or Instagram.

Highly recommended to get a foreign SIM and any foreign SIM will work.

I bought the Thai one in Hong Kong as it was far cheaper than the HK cross-border SIMs.
From memory it cost 88 HKD for 8 days and 4GB of 4G + unlimited at 128 kbps..
Originally Posted by jamar
The only thing to keep in mind is, if the Thai one is the one I'm thinking of, then it works with the China Mobile network. Not everyone's phones works well with their network, but I think that one is definitely a better value than the China Mobile HK SIMs.
There are many street resellers of Thai based SIM for data access all over different S and SE Asia regions.
However, there are some issues of the support of your phone and frequencies with their local roaming partner. I heard of people with US phones not getting connected.
Support is good if you speak Thai.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Originally Posted by Scifience
Roaming bypasses the GFW—you'll still have a UK IP if you're using a UK SIM, and all traffic is routed directly through your home carrier.
I don't think you still have a UK IP. You are accessing the internet inside China, you have a Chinese IP.

I am quite sure what is happening is the Great Firewall of China sees that you are a foreign SIM card, and does not enforce the restrictions.

Of course, this is all academic, the only thing that matters is when you use your foreign SIM card for GPRS internet, there are no restrictions. But as soon as you switch over to Wi-Fi inside China, you are restricted unless at a few select foreign hotels like a Marriott in Shanghai.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
When roaming, I always go to www.whatismyipaddress.com

Every time I do this, it shows the IP address for the service provider in my home country and not of the country that I am roaming in.

Roaming data traffic is always "tunneled" back to the home country's service provider before being sent out into the public internet.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by daniellam

Every time I do this, it shows the IP address for the service provider in my home country and not of the country that I am roaming in.

Roaming data traffic is always mostly "tunneled" back to the home country's service provider before being sent out into the public internet.
Made a small correction. It depends on your home carrier as their local roaming partner as well. That is a recent development in China.

Last edited by tentseller; Dec 26, 2017 at 8:24 am
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Originally Posted by daniellam

Roaming data traffic is always "tunneled" back to the home country's service provider before being sent out into the public internet.
Didn't know that! Just checked with my t-mobile US back up SIM card, I am in China now.

my home wi-fi shows my exact Chinese city location, turn off Wi-Fi and revert to LTE and now it shows at Pico Rivera, CA, ISP is T-Mobile USA.

I never imagined.... I thought of it as a type of VPN but reality is, it is a VPN.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by mcjava
Didn't know that! Just checked with my t-mobile US back up SIM card, I am in China now.

my home wi-fi shows my exact Chinese city location, turn off Wi-Fi and revert to LTE and now it shows at Pico Rivera, CA, ISP is T-Mobile USA.

I never imagined.... I thought of it as a type of VPN but reality is, it is a VPN.
Try going to some websites that are banned in China while in LTE mode.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL; KLM Gold; AC 50K
I am in China every month. I use a China Unicom HK Cross Border King SIM, and it is not subject to GWoC blocking. More often than not, your IP (whilst on mobile data) is that of the APN server configured on your phone, so most likely the SIM card's home country IP.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by steve76
If I visit China and just use data roaming on my UK SIM, do the Great Firewall restrictions apply?

I have been looking at getting a Hong Kong cross-border SIM, as I understand that these then avoid censorship without the need for a VPN. (Correct?). Is this unique to HK SIMs or does this apply to any foreign SIMs?
When I bought my China Mobile HK cross-border SIM, the packaging specifically stated that you will be able to access websites such as Facebook while in Mainland China.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.