Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Old May 24, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
If you want to use sites like Google, FB, and Twitter in China, you need a means to bypass government imposed blocks.

Roaming on your home country's network works like a charm, but this can be slow and/or expensive.

Most of us use VPNs or Shadowsocks (the latter requires a bit more legwork because you need to find, and pay for, a good server on your own you want good results).

While this topic is not illegal, we have definitely noticed that over plugging solutions that work well often results in diminished performance (because this makes them targets).

As such, my hope is that we can refrain from using buzzwords or complete company names in this thread. By way of example, "E" is impossible to catch via search, while the company name is easy.
Print Wikipost

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sjgmbob
they're offering buy one year get one year free for first-time signups coupons recently.
I never do long term contracts with V providers because it's impossible to know how long specific ones will be viable. Even though I still like exp, I've been paying monthly for as long as I can remember (~7 years). I'm cool with them making a little more off of me in exchange for the ability to drop them anytime without penalty.
Internaut likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sjgmbob
People, if you don't mind spending a few bucks, ExpressVPN should be your first VPN choice in China. Otherwise, I'd recommend PandaVPN, which is a newcomer VPN that works perfect in China, they're offering buy one year get one year free for first-time signups coupons recently.
I see no English at that link.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 6, 2019 at 1:44 pm Reason: Conform with edited version of quoted text
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
What’s the best price for ExpressVPN?

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 6, 2019 at 1:42 pm Reason: Remove quoted text with referral links
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
Whats the best price for ExpressVPN?
I paid US$100 for 15 months (12 + 3 free) in a sale they had in February this year. Currently it's $100 for just 12 months.

(You can get 30 days extra free if you use a referral link - I don't think I'm allowed to post it here but PM if you'd like one.)
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Whats the best price for ExpressVPN?
I am on their monthly plan at full price, which I think is around $13.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
I've found the best thing is to pay annually (best price), for 2 or 3 services.... they don't always "break" at the same time, sometimes one recovers faster than the other, etc. EXP is not working for me now on iPhone, mac, nor windows...... another one , viper, working great on iPhone, not on MacBook.... back in May, viper was down for almost a month, while EXP recovered very quickly and worked great.... until it stopped working.

I'm actually thinking to splurge on a third one, which would raise my cost to about $300 or so per year, but I can't live without outside news.....I'm here 90% of the year, can't afford no outside news.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by mcjava
EXP is not working for me now on iPhone, mac, nor windows...... another one , viper, working great on iPhone, not on MacBook....
Have you tried reaching out to customer service? EXP has worked flawlessly on my 2 android phones, PC and iPad. This has been for the last 4 weeks that I've been in Shenzhen. Working on 3 different carriers, a China Unicom SIM, my girlfriends China Mobile broadband, and the WiFi in my hotel (not sure about the carrier). Last year some time, I had trouble connecting and reached out to customer service on their chat. The rep suggested I try re-logging into the EXP app on my devices. After doing that it worked great.

Of course, during the times of shutdown, when we're all complaining it doesn't work, that's a different story. I've been fine for the past 4 weeks. Even able to watch some netflix with EXP which I've had trouble with in the past.

BTW, I'm anticipating another period of restricted access as National day holiday approaches, 70th anniversary and what not. My company is on a software release freeze for September until after the holiday.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by synthkeys
Have you tried reaching out to customer service?
+100 on this tip. Exp's live chat is extremely good. Sure, finding a working mirror site without VPN access can be a little challenging at times (well, baidu, bing, and yahoo search usually work if you use good search terms), but once you have one, live chat never fails. Basically, they send you links to their latest updates, tweak settings, and tell you which servers are working best, including the small subset that is solid on Netflix.

During the last full court press by Big Brother, Astr... arguably fared a bit better than Exp at the outset, but it isn't in the same league on the whole.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
I reach out to customer service often.

EXP suddenly started working perfectly on my laptop yesterday, soon after my post about it not working.... and now this morning, zilch, nada. I find a big difference from my home in Zhejiang and my home in Shenzhen...... in Zhejiang, I have had very few issues with my phone and my China Mobile number....... and wifi also usually fine, China Telecom broadband. But it does seem weird that wifi on my phone will work perfectly, but not on my MacBook.... not sure why it would matter?

EXP is best, though, for providing links that are not blocked, to get to their website or download apps, etc.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: CX AY DL
exp in shenzhen on china telecom has not been very good for the past week - cant connect to the hk servers and the "overseas" ones are too slow
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:14 am

Was in the Shanghai area last week. My Nord vpn account worked nowhere. A VPN box I have at home worked everywhere. Seems to suggest the great firewall does only block on ip address, not type of traffic.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by wijnands
Was in the Shanghai area last week. My Nord vpn account worked nowhere. A VPN box I have at home worked everywhere. Seems to suggest the great firewall does only block on ip address, not type of traffic.
The GFW is made of many different layers. Some block IP addresses while others do real-time packet inspection and will block based on that.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Just came back from China about a month ago and I had two VPNs. Exp. works OK but get disconnected often and some iOS apps don't work on exp. Astr. works great for me on almost all occasion (although I need to reconnect on some occasions).
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:09 am

Exclamation WHICH VPN we can use in china

Hi everyone! i am still confused which VPNs are still usable in china.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by zawar
Hi everyone! i am still confused which VPNs are still usable in china.
Have you read this thread?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.