Reload this Page >

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
If you want to use sites like Google, FB, and Twitter in China, you need a means to bypass government imposed blocks.

Roaming on your home country's network works like a charm, but this can be slow and/or expensive.

Most of us use VPNs or Shadowsocks (the latter requires a bit more legwork because you need to find, and pay for, a good server on your own you want good results).

While this topic is not illegal, we have definitely noticed that over plugging solutions that work well often results in diminished performance (because this makes them targets).

As such, my hope is that we can refrain from using buzzwords or complete company names in this thread. By way of example, "E" is impossible to catch via search, while the company name is easy.
Print Wikipost

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by moondog
Usually it does. In case you didn't notice, more than 50% of the recs in this thread are for express.
What is a rec? Thx!
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
What is a rec? Thx!
A "rec" is a recommendation.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by jdang
I used Google Fi last month in China and it worked great. I didn't have any VPN installed and I was using google's VPN that comes with Google Fi and had no issue with any US sites. The only major issue I had was uploading pictures or video on google hangout. Uploading to instagram had no issues, so I wonder why hangout gives me trouble.

I had no issue at all in Shanghai.
Xi'an I had no issue but the google map locations for stuff is way off so don't rely on it.
Beijing I occasionally get dropped and I try to manually connect to another carrier and it works again. I had issues with google map labeling my hotel about a mile away from where it is actually so I would avoid relying on the map locations too much.
It's just a bug in Google Maps as it relies on your SIM card's country code to decide whether to apply the Chinese GPS offset (as required by law). Use a local mapping app and it should work correctly.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:04 am

I am using ExpressVPN every year my business trip in china 3 to 4 times a year i am using ExpressVPN service Every time it is the only one vpn its works proper in china many others vpn also have but i am selectiing a vpn first read user reviews then research on internet i found 3 best sites for vpns these are the best sites Cnet.com, Pcmag.com, Rivipedia.com
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tauphi
It's just a bug in Google Maps as it relies on your SIM card's country code to decide whether to apply the Chinese GPS offset (as required by law). Use a local mapping app and it should work correctly.
It has nothing to do with the SIM. You can see the same offset between satellite and map view on the desktop website from a PC. But ditu.google.cn has no annoying offset problem.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:26 am

Wikipedia has an interesting article on the required-by-law-map-offset in China.

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restrictions_on_geographic_data_in_China

I don't know whether it's up-to-date or wholly accurate, but it does say, "The Google.com street map is offset by 50–500 meters from its satellite imagery, while the Google.cn map is not."
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
It has nothing to do with the SIM. You can see the same offset between satellite and map view on the desktop website from a PC. But ditu.google.cn has no annoying offset problem.
We weren't talking about the offset between the satellite map and the street map. We were talking about the offset between your actual GPS location and the location displayed on the street map. Google Maps on Android at least relies (or used to rely) on SIM country code to decide whether to apply the China-specific offset.

Lots of people in China root their phones in order to access Google software by faking their SIM country code and then run into the GPS offset issue so it is a well-known problem.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by 889
Wikipedia has an interesting article on the required-by-law-map-offset in China.

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restrictions_on_geographic_data_in_China

I don't know whether it's up-to-date or wholly accurate, but it does say, "The Google.com street map is offset by 50–500 meters from its satellite imagery, while the Google.cn map is not."
All maps in China are required to apply an offset by law. Obviously your GPS location isn't which is why there is a disconnect. Satellite imagery from abroad which have not been specially processed for China have the same problem.

google.cn has processed the satellite imagery for China (or perhaps they munged the China maps instead) which is why it lines up. Funnily enough, your raw GPS locations will match up with unprocessed satellite imagery, while appearing to be wrong if you display them directly on the Google China maps. You can see this effect by reviewing your Google timeline.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:15 am

I keep reading about this offset but as I drive in China, I don't notice it. when it tells me to turn right in 100 meters, it is in 100 meters. I find it rather precise.
"All maps in China are required to apply an offset by law" - everybody is using GPS here. My wife uses other mapping services and they all work fine.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Agree: I don't fully understand the offset issue, but it's idiosyncratic. Some places, the minority, on Google maps are in the wrong place, possibly due to offset. But the majority are fine.

tb
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM
I keep reading about this offset but as I drive in China, I don't notice it. when it tells me to turn right in 100 meters, it is in 100 meters. I find it rather precise.
"All maps in China are required to apply an offset by law" - everybody is using GPS here. My wife uses other mapping services and they all work fine.
Presumably you're using a phone either with a local SIM or a local navigation app. Either way the long/lat offset would be built into the software so there would be no issue.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by trueblu
Agree: I don't fully understand the offset issue, but it's idiosyncratic. Some places, the minority, on Google maps are in the wrong place, possibly due to offset. But the majority are fine.

tb
There is a derived problem from the original offset issue. That is, people used to report PoIs to Google Maps using the wrong long/lat. The result is that even if your app displays your location on the map at exactly the right spot, the PoI may still be in the wrong place.

FWIW these days people can't create PoIs at all with Google Maps in China.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:36 am

Found this article about the Great Firewall Of China on a vpnsite.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
I think the reason many VPNs are so slow is that the bandwidth is ridiculously oversold. On China Telecom, my VPN speeds to HK dropped as low as 1-1.5 Mbps during peak hours (mainly evening and late evening), while the same endpoints were getting around 10-15 Mbps in the early mornings. VPN.ac's Taipei endpoint reaches around 75%+ load during the evenings and I never saw more than 2 Mbps throughput under those conditions on China Telecom, while from home, I can routinely get 5-10x the bandwidth to HK from Comcast in Silicon Valley, through miles and miles of undersea cables. Even VPN.ac, while it was experiencing 100% load on its Taipei endpoint, gave me around 10 Mbps! I routinely see VPN speeds to .hk and .tw maxing out at my actual advertised line rate from Silicon Valley.

Overselling is a business strategy that every ISP uses. Not everyone uses 100% of the bandwidth 100% of the time. But being oversold to the extent of 10x actual usage is ridiculous. I'd find China Telecom's complaints line and blast them for crappy network management, but I'm not technically their customer, so they are unlikely to care.

Last edited by STS-134; Apr 22, 2019 at 3:20 pm
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
I am currently in Guangzhou, Express VPN is working perfectly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.