Reload this Page >

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
If you want to use sites like Google, FB, and Twitter in China, you need a means to bypass government imposed blocks.

Roaming on your home country's network works like a charm, but this can be slow and/or expensive.

Most of us use VPNs or Shadowsocks (the latter requires a bit more legwork because you need to find, and pay for, a good server on your own you want good results).

While this topic is not illegal, we have definitely noticed that over plugging solutions that work well often results in diminished performance (because this makes them targets).

As such, my hope is that we can refrain from using buzzwords or complete company names in this thread. By way of example, "E" is impossible to catch via search, while the company name is easy.
Print Wikipost

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by weaver liu
Right now the great fire wall have capability to identify vpn protocol and block it's IP.
That's why some vpn works and some don't. And some work a while then stoped working you have to change servers.

Personally I use a proxy software called shadowsocks, it's a open source software, but you need some IT skills to properly set it up.
But once it's done it works perfectly. btw, I live in Chengdu
We've already discussed as unthread. I don't find it especially hard to set up, and I find the performance (using a rack space server) comparable to express hk4, but my costs are actually higher (I use a lot of data). Express has honestly never completely failed me, though some of their servers are less than stellar.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
I was just in Beijing over the past week, and I used ExpressVPN with no problems.
In2ishn likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
I was in Beijing and Shanghai last month. ExpressVPN worked well for both my Iphone and Macbook.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by fbcooper
Nord did not work in China at all so I signed up for ExpressVPN afterwards and it worked like a charm while I was there in April/May
Not true anymore. Nordvpn has an option for obfuscated that works pretty well (I also turn on TCP), though I understand they don't have this for Apple products (I use Windows, Android).
Sometimes it takes a while to connect though, quite a few tries.

It isn't fast, but Nordvpn was never fast for me anyway.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:59 am
hln

NordVPN works fine. It actually the best have tested.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Data point: China updated their firewall, it's messing with VPNs.

After some chat time with their tech support they got me back up with a new client on my desktop. My phone, however, did not come back up on WiFi after that, but it worked correctly on Sprint global roaming (the low-speed free version at least, I didn't try the paid version.)
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
I used Express VPN last month and had no issues, I was able to get everything.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
ADVChina (Winston Sterzel and Matthew Tye) just did a video talking about VPNs.

Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I can't get Express VPN or VPN Secure to work in China. Is it only certain countries that you can set it to to get it to work there?
Is there a free VPN for phones that works well so you can watch Netflix and download new shows when abroad?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I can't get Express VPN or VPN Secure to work in China. Is it only certain countries that you can set it to to get it to work there?
Is there a free VPN for phones that works well so you can watch Netflix and download new shows when abroad?
Their chat support is quite good, and has never failed to set me straight. They will advise you of servers to try in your region (e.g. in Shanghai, I have the best luck with HK4 and HK5, but in Beijing, LA3 is often better), and possibly tell you to adjust your settings. IME, Android is their least stable product, but this too is working well for me now.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:38 am

No VPN works fast and stable in China. The government know you are using a VPN. They allow you to use VPN temporary such as check your emails. Once they detected you use a VPN for a long time, they will kill the connection.

PM me if you just visit China for a short period, and I can help you to get Facebook online.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:41 am

Dead wrong. I've been using a VPN without problems for some time. That is, some do work.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ztang15
No VPN works fast and stable in China. The government know you are using a VPN. They allow you to use VPN temporary such as check your emails. Once they detected you use a VPN for a long time, they will kill the connection.

PM me if you just visit China for a short period, and I can help you to get Facebook online.
If that were the case there wouldn't be issues with them upgrading the firewall and making the existing setup not work.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by ztang15
No VPN works fast and stable in China.
Fortunately this statement is completely wrong.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
Just not true. Don't want to be a shill for ExpressVPN but it works like a champ, albeit a little costly at 100 USD per year. I was having some difficulty connecting last month and thought maybe they were having some troubles. Got on a support chat they asked me to sign out of my account and sign back in again on my devices. Worked just fine after that. My Chinese co-workers have found some free VPNs working now after the big shutdown last year. They're back on twitter and facebook again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.