Reload this Page >

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
If you want to use sites like Google, FB, and Twitter in China, you need a means to bypass government imposed blocks.

Roaming on your home country's network works like a charm, but this can be slow and/or expensive.

Most of us use VPNs or Shadowsocks (the latter requires a bit more legwork because you need to find, and pay for, a good server on your own you want good results).

While this topic is not illegal, we have definitely noticed that over plugging solutions that work well often results in diminished performance (because this makes them targets).

As such, my hope is that we can refrain from using buzzwords or complete company names in this thread. By way of example, "E" is impossible to catch via search, while the company name is easy.
Print Wikipost

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:47 am

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
This hasn't been asked yet but I might as well: which VPN works best with MU's in-flight Wi-Fi?

I'm planning several long-hauls on MU and it would be great if I can get some work done on the plane, which would save me from having to use my vacation days. Unfortunately, the nature of my work (I work for a website which the GFW blocks) requires me to use a VPN while in China, and while I'm fine using mobile data roaming, an option for me to work in-air would be really helpful.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
I have ExpressVPN, it was good in China, but in the US for daily use now not so good. Call using the phone app on a Mac doesn't work, certain streaming video websites (Amazon Prime videos, Hulu, etc) don't work, worst of all, whenever you Google search something, you almost always have to check the "not a robot" box and sometimes have to take one of those picture tests.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:50 am

VPNs always involve some risk and uncertainty in China. If your job absolutely depends on access to a blocked site, then consider playing safe and avoiding Mainland China.

Remember that experience with a given VPN in China can vary depending on where you are in the country and whether you're using public Wifi, your hotel's system, a wired connection at home, phone data, etc.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 889
VPNs always involve some risk and uncertainty in China. If your job absolutely depends on access to a blocked site, then consider playing safe and avoiding Mainland China.

Remember that experience with a given VPN in China can vary depending on where you are in the country and whether you're using public Wifi, your hotel's system, a wired connection at home, phone data, etc.
Something I told my wife, that she in turn told her cousin (who was only using 1 VPN as far as we know): Planes aren't allowed to fly TPAC with only 1 engine. The reason is that a single engine failure means you go in the water. If you are crossing the Pacific, you use 2 or more engines, and even a plane with 2 engines requires a special maintenance schedule and on board equipment and crew training (ETOPS). Just as you wouldn't fly across the Pacific on 1 engine, don't go to China with just 1 VPN. Always have a backup in case your primary VPN fails. Ideally, just as with ETOPS, have 3 or more VPNs unless you have a super reliable VPN (a foreign SIM card with a active international roaming and a data plan counts as a super reliable VPN).
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by STS-134
Something I told my wife, that she in turn told her cousin (who was only using 1 VPN as far as we know): Planes aren't allowed to fly TPAC with only 1 engine. The reason is that a single engine failure means you go in the water. If you are crossing the Pacific, you use 2 or more engines, and even a plane with 2 engines requires a special maintenance schedule and on board equipment and crew training (ETOPS). Just as you wouldn't fly across the Pacific on 1 engine, don't go to China with just 1 VPN. Always have a backup in case your primary VPN fails. Ideally, just as with ETOPS, have 3 or more VPNs unless you have a super reliable VPN (a foreign SIM card with a active international roaming and a data plan counts as a super reliable VPN).
I have shadowsocks (on Rackspace) as an emergency backup, but I've honestly never needed more than 30 minutes to get Express working good enough.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
I have shadowsocks (on Rackspace) as an emergency backup, but I've honestly never needed more than 30 minutes to get Express working good enough.
Shadowsocks was what failed me last time. Went down for 3 days when my server was IP banned. I rotated through my other 3 backup VPNs.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluegatorade
I have ExpressVPN, it was good in China, but in the US for daily use now not so good. Call using the phone app on a Mac doesn't work, certain streaming video websites (Amazon Prime videos, Hulu, etc) don't work, worst of all, whenever you Google search something, you almost always have to check the "not a robot" box and sometimes have to take one of those picture tests.
All VPNs are prone to the Google not-a-robot bit and being banned by things like streaming video.

The first is because Google (and many other sites) see an awful lot of traffic from your IP and think something's evil and the latter is because VPNs are often used to avoid region restrictions.

The only way around this is something that doesn't make you share your IP. I think Shadowsocks does this but I have never tried it.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:35 am

A combination of a roaming HK cross border SIM and VPN.AC has worked for me every time I'm in China for work.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: DL, UA
Any updates on this? Considering Express or Nord for a brief trip to Shanghai next week.

Anybody happen to know if ATT international data roaming still works as it would in USA?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Originally Posted by nw6338
Any updates on this? Considering Express or Nord for a brief trip to Shanghai next week.

Anybody happen to know if ATT international data roaming still works as it would in USA?
AT&T roaming works normally, at least as of last September. I use it all the time when I pass through China.

I'm passing through PVG on the way to DEL on Friday, so hopefully it works then as well.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:29 am

ExpressVPN worked well for me in September in Shanghai and other cities using a China Unicom SIM. No problems at all with ExpressVPN, although I did have some challenges getting English support for an issue with China Unicom.

AT&T roaming also worked for one of my travel companions @ $10/day. He also used ExpressVPN but I'm not sure he needed it with a foreign SIM.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by jc719
ExpressVPN worked well for me in September in Shanghai and other cities using a China Unicom SIM. No problems at all with ExpressVPN, although I did have some challenges getting English support for an issue with China Unicom.
Doesn't work now. Nothing works now. Probably ok in a couple of weeks.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:53 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I just came back from Chengdu, China and Express VPN didn't work at all. The only thing that did work was my Verizon Wireless SIM card.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Might just use data roaming and pay an arm and a leg to tether.

Was just reading that Express was down now too. Yikes!
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nw6338
Might just use data roaming and pay an arm and a leg to tether.

Was just reading that Express was down now too. Yikes!
I switched to SS yesterday, and it works like a charm. That having been said, I will go back to exp as soon as they get their ship back in order. Apart from my general fondness of their support staff, SS requires quite a bit more tech savvy when it goes down. My recent chat sessions with exp have been pretty useless (not really their fault; they simply don't have any solid solutions), and they are swamped, so I plan on giving them a week to sort things out before messaging them again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.