Reload this Page >

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
If you want to use sites like Google, FB, and Twitter in China, you need a means to bypass government imposed blocks.

Roaming on your home country's network works like a charm, but this can be slow and/or expensive.

Most of us use VPNs or Shadowsocks (the latter requires a bit more legwork because you need to find, and pay for, a good server on your own you want good results).

While this topic is not illegal, we have definitely noticed that over plugging solutions that work well often results in diminished performance (because this makes them targets).

As such, my hope is that we can refrain from using buzzwords or complete company names in this thread. By way of example, "E" is impossible to catch via search, while the company name is easy.
Print Wikipost

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 6:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As much as I dislike coming across as a messenger boy for Express, I must admit that those guys are ahead of the game. I can get better connections with Shadowsocks, but the costs are substantial.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:49 am

So it seems the "Great Firewall" has been upgraded and some people have been experiencing some difficulties. But still, ExpressVPN and VyprVPN still works well as they have implemented solutions.

Stay up to date on China VPN reviews, news and updates here: https://www.jumpthegreatfirewall.com/
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
As much as I dislike coming across as a messenger boy for Express, I must admit that those guys are ahead of the game. I can get better connections with Shadowsocks, but the costs are substantial.
My personal Shadowsocks server just got IP banned by the GFW. .......s. ICMP works, all other ports seem blocked, even SSH. Seems to be the same issue people are reporting here: https://github.com/shadowsocks/shadowsocks-libev/issues/1719

I'm not sure if they have the ability to detect Shadowsocks, or if it was just data volume counting (I pushed about 10 GB worth of videos from Disney through my SS server a few days ago). I have 2 other VPNs (4 if you count foreign SIM cards), but I'm pissed. SS is by far the best protocol as ShadowsocksX-NG on Mac OS allows you to only funnel traffic to blocked sites through the tunnel so it doesn't slow everything down. And since it's an actual machine in my living room and not a VPS, I cannot just change IPs. I tried switching ports but that didn't work. Obviously I know the machine is up because if I VPN out first, I can then use Shadowsocks (and HTTP/HTTPS/SSH too).

How long do these IP bans tend to last? I'm guessing that it was done by some automated scripts that aggregate data volume between endpoints and look at the source and destination of that traffic. Maybe I can try switching Shadowsocks to Port 7 but I'm not sure if that'll work. It's fairly easy to filter by ICMP so unless there's a Shadowsocks-over-ICMP plugin, that will probably be blocked too.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Shadowsocks works great with Rackspace HK, but Rackspace is crazy expensive, and Express has at least one server there, which is usually pretty fast. Cheaper VPNs tend to use cheaper servers IME. I'm happy to pay the premium for Express.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by moondog
Shadowsocks works great with Rackspace HK, but Rackspace is crazy expensive, and Express has at least one server there, which is usually pretty fast. Cheaper VPNs tend to use cheaper servers IME. I'm happy to pay the premium for Express.
Also once I connect in China through Express via HK (pick the location) it will always reconnect automatically to that same HK server.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:55 pm

I still find the most reliable VPN is a simple international roaming plan from T-Mobile/Sprint as the APN tunnel ends in the US as its a US SIM card. (Or any other free country...) For regular VPNs I have a private setup and find that HK and Japan are the best (CT/CU have direct IP transit from NTT in Japan and PCCW in HK upstream it seems)...
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by x1234
I still find the most reliable VPN is a simple international roaming plan from T-Mobile/Sprint as the APN tunnel ends in the US as its a US SIM card. (Or any other free country...) For regular VPNs I have a private setup and find that HK and Japan are the best (CT/CU have direct IP transit from NTT in Japan and PCCW in HK upstream it seems)...
Yes, I find roaming to be the simplest solution too without the extra overhead of a VPN. Of course if I were to stream a large video then I'd probably use a local unlimited data-plan plus a VPN. My own personal VPNs are located in the US (west coast) as they are the cheapest and the latency is reasonable for non-gaming use (~120ms). Although to ensure maximum reliability, I actually connect my mobile device VPNs to my home in China and then route the traffic to the US from there.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:00 am

Not many VPNs are working in China lately, Astrill is having lot of constant issues. I think after paying for a subscription it shouldnt be struggle to use VPN on daily basis. Yes China keeps developing some way to block those VPNs but its VPNs who need to make sure they develop themself to overcome the blocking if they are providing VPN for China users. I have personally tried ExpressVPN, VyprVPN, Nord, SwitchVPN and PandaPow as well. I feel ExpressVPN is overly priced and trying to create a premium tag in VPN market but overall service is Good but not excellent. I found VyprVPN to be good in China however their customer support isnt that great. I suggest you to try out VyprVPN and see if it works well. Here is a recent guide for working VPNs in China www.bestvpn.tips/best-vpn-for-china/
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Has anyone tried NordVPN? I already use it here in the States.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:33 am

If you can handle the language, you can try out some of the cheap Chinese VPNs on Google Play. I assume they work because they turn over everything to the PSB. Maybe they're even PSB run. But if you're just looking for Google Search, Google Earth, NYT and such, so what.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 4:54 am

So it seems like ExpressVPN and VyprVPN survived the most current blocking attempt and are still a good choice for China VPN.

Before you choose one, take a look at the "Daily VPN Test" of both VPNs here: https://www.jumpthegreatfirewall.com/
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:16 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
VPNProxyMaster works for both my US Sprint and my ChinaUnicom both on Wifi and wireless, YMMV
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: Chase and American Express
Originally Posted by chenalex
Has anyone tried NordVPN? I already use it here in the States.
Nord did not work in China at all so I signed up for ExpressVPN afterwards and it worked like a charm while I was there in April/May
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:56 am

In 2018 i had a good experience with VPNBaron in china, mainland. recommend.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:16 pm

Right now the great fire wall have capability to identify vpn protocol and block it's IP.
That's why some vpn works and some don't. And some work a while then stoped working you have to change servers.

Personally I use a proxy software called shadowsocks, it's a open source software, but you need some IT skills to properly set it up.
But once it's done it works perfectly. btw, I live in Chengdu

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.