Reload this Page >

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
If you want to use sites like Google, FB, and Twitter in China, you need a means to bypass government imposed blocks.

Roaming on your home country's network works like a charm, but this can be slow and/or expensive.

Most of us use VPNs or Shadowsocks (the latter requires a bit more legwork because you need to find, and pay for, a good server on your own you want good results).

While this topic is not illegal, we have definitely noticed that over plugging solutions that work well often results in diminished performance (because this makes them targets).

As such, my hope is that we can refrain from using buzzwords or complete company names in this thread. By way of example, "E" is impossible to catch via search, while the company name is easy.
Print Wikipost

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:04 am

Likewise, for whatever reason, my VPN options weren't reliable, at all, last week when in Shanghai.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
Exp seems to be semi okay now, at least in the early mornings. That having been said, there is no way in hell I would advise newcomers to get on board at this point in time (e.g. telling me to connect to a random server in Germany that is definitely slow, and might not work at all, is not cool).
Why not have a China Unicom HK or China Mobile HK SIM as a backup? You can turn on mobile hotspot and tether to it. And the rates are reasonable, HK $148 for 2 GB for 30 days. Unless you are emailing very large files, that should last you a while. That's what I always use for mobile data when I visit China, and that card (and my US based AT&T SIM) act as my VPN of last resort, in case everything else goes down.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by STS-134
Why not have a China Unicom HK or China Mobile HK SIM as a backup? You can turn on mobile hotspot and tether to it. And the rates are reasonable, HK $148 for 2 GB for 30 days. Unless you are emailing very large files, that should last you a while. That's what I always use for mobile data when I visit China, and that card (and my US based AT&T SIM) act as my VPN of last resort, in case everything else goes down.
I agree, getting a SIM card from HK or another regional country that has a prepaid roaming bundle for China is a very reliable, hassle free and cost effective way for visitors to get unfiltered connectivity as per the GSM standards your data is tunnel back to the home network and breaks out to the internet from there, avoiding the great firewall. Saves messing with local WiFi and VPNs and usually just works - very very occasionally you may need to reboot or flip the data connection off and on if the 4G signal disappears.
fairhsa likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Exp is working again for me in the early mornings, and I expect things will improve. That having been said, I greatly dislike being told to try my luck with Wembly or Nuerenberg. While I do hold out hope, I will not make any strong plugs until they get their good servers in good shape again.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:20 pm

This morning, I managed to get on HK3, which is Exp's best server, so I think the situation seems to be improving. That having been said, I would like a reliable backup other than SS (my boss compiled a list of SS usage for all of us, and for some reason, I was at the top by a mile).

James, who runs tipsforchina, suggested Nord and Vpn.ac. Unfortunately, both of these struck out for me. If you do want to try them, I encourage you to use the links on his site because he is providing a valuable service.

I've been considering Astrill. However, in the past, it has sucked.

This is an extremely touchy topic because, while not illegal, any companies who brag about their services are easy for the government to mess with (e.g. claiming that you are the "best VPN in China" pretty much ensures that you will not be for long!).
Old May 1, 2019, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by plunet
I agree, getting a SIM card from HK or another regional country that has a prepaid roaming bundle for China is a very reliable, hassle free and cost effective way for visitors to get unfiltered connectivity as per the GSM standards your data is tunnel back to the home network and breaks out to the internet from there, avoiding the great firewall. Saves messing with local WiFi and VPNs and usually just works - very very occasionally you may need to reboot or flip the data connection off and on if the 4G signal disappears.
I think you nailed it with the summary. On my last trip to Shanghai, I noticed I lost connection, but a simple reboot on my iPhone 7 got the 4G signal again.

I did noticed something strange though. When roaming with a prepaid simcard, I only see 4G icon, but roaming with a Canadian post-paid simcard, I see 4G LTE.
Old May 1, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
This is an extremely touchy topic because, while not illegal, any companies who brag about their services are easy for the government to mess with (e.g. claiming that you are the "best VPN in China" pretty much ensures that you will not be for long!).
Uh oh we aren't making security through obscurity arguments here are we?
Old May 8, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by lsquare
I did noticed something strange though. When roaming with a prepaid simcard, I only see 4G icon, but roaming with a Canadian post-paid simcard, I see 4G LTE.
Although the mobile industry do like to use 4G and LTE interchangeably there are differences. At a very basic level if the terminology is being correctly used an LTE signal should be better in terms of capability than a 4G one, but that really depends on how the phone is representing the signal received and it's capabilities to you. As you got the LTE on a postpaid contract that would kinda make sense.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:14 am

VPN in China

Planning a trip to China next month and I am looking for a VPN that I could use while being there. As I read, sites like Google or Facebook, which I frequently use are banned over there.

This article is supposedly updated every week with VPNs that can pass China’s firewall. Maybe someone has visited China not long ago and can confirm if the article is really up to date?
Old May 13, 2019, 8:03 am

I did not click on your link to your article, these are usually click-bait.
Not far below your question is a very long thread about the topic: Best and Fast VPN for China ?
Old May 13, 2019, 8:37 am

I use the following every time I go to China, in this order of preference, when I am able to use wifi:

1. ExpressVPN
2. VPN.ac
3. Shadowsocks to personal server
4. China Unicom HK SIM Card
5. SIM card from my home country

The key is to not expect everything to work all the time. Have enough redundancy so that if something fails, you don't effectively get knocked off the internet. In order for me to not be able to get to any site I want to get to, all 5 of those would have to fail simultaneously and that's very unlikely to happen.
Old May 24, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
As of two weeks ago when I visited Beijing and Shanghai, ExpressVPN and Hotspot Shield worked, but NordVPN did not.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:15 pm

Exp is currently completely down for me, and they ingored my support email (it's been almost 24 hours). While I get the fact that this coming Tuesday is a hot button, hiding is never a good business strategy.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Exp is currently completely down for me, and they ingored my support email (it's been almost 24 hours). While I get the fact that this coming Tuesday is a hot button, hiding is never a good business strategy.
Same here, but A is still working.....
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by PokerHammy
As of two weeks ago when I visited Beijing and Shanghai, ExpressVPN and Hotspot Shield worked, but NordVPN did not.
Last month while in Beijing and Guangdong I used my friend's N subscription. It kept disconnecting every few hours or slowing to a halt, and would refuse to reconnect when I tried to change server. On the last few days I played with the settings, forcing TCP connection, and it started working 95% of the time without any issues. Wish I had figured it out sooner!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.