Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

domestic transfer to international-check in again?

Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying from CAN to TAO to Japan. But China Eastern said they cannot check my bag through so I have to recheck in at TAO.

Is this the norm in China? Or is it cause TAO is a minor airport (compared to Shanghai, Beijing, etc)?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Well, I saw everybody else also there, waiting in the terminal for China Eastern to open their check-in counter. Which literally took hours, as they don't open til 100 minutes prior to departure.
Except that unlike the locals I had no internet access cause it is China (they require you to have a phone number to send a message to for the "free wifi". And there is no way to get a passcode otherwise, as far as I know)
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: various
It is standard procedure in China to use your final departing location from Chinese soil, as the Exit Immigration and Customs processing point. In your example, CAN-TAO as a standard domestic segment, then TAO as your China exit point. Since you have to take your possessions through Exit Customs by hand, the airline could not through-check your luggage at CAN to USA. While theoretically you should be able to do all this Exit procedure at CAN and just do TAO as a connection, in practice the physical setup of the airports and their process of handling baggage makes this difficult.

While there are a few exceptions on certain airlines on certain routes in China where one can do a domestic + international and get the luggage checked through, it is currently uncommon.

On the relatively brief advance check-in period: this is very common at smaller Chinese airports or airports where an airline doesn't have a hub operation. Usually 2 hours in advance is about what you get and arriving even earlier means sitting around waiting for staff to show up to open check-in. 100 minutes for an international flight sounds like the staff was late arriving to their posts.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. I will try never to book a domestic to international flight from China then.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:14 pm

You get a wifi password by asking the airport information desk.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Thanks for the response. I will try never to book a domestic to international flight from China then.
Yes. Now you see why flying CAN-Japan nonstop would have been preferable to flying CAN-TAO-Japan. Even if the fare is higher with the nonstop.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jiejie
Yes. Now you see why flying CAN-Japan nonstop would have been preferable to flying CAN-TAO-Japan. Even if the fare is higher with the nonstop.
I'm guessing that he was flying to somewhere in Japan that didn't have flights from Guangzhou. I once did HIJ-CAN via NRT, and it was honestly every bit as annoying as a transfer in DLC or TAO.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
I'm guessing that he was flying to somewhere in Japan that didn't have flights from Guangzhou. I once did HIJ-CAN via NRT, and it was honestly every bit as annoying as a transfer in DLC or TAO.
Possibly. The OP didn't reveal where his Japan destination was. However, in his post he seemed miffed mostly because he couldn't check his luggage all the way through and had to wait a long time for the airline check-in desks at TAO to open.

Even if connection flights were the only choices (nonstop not available), I'd generally choose to depart Chinese airspace sooner rather than later, and take my lumps with Japan connnections.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
I was flying to KIX. There was a non-stop, at 4 times the price. But I see you get what you pay for.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I was flying to KIX. There was a non-stop, at 4 times the price. But I see you get what you pay for.
How about transiting in HKG?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
How about transiting in HKG?
I was thinking of even just going to HKG, but felt it was such a hassle from Guangzhou. In the future I'll just go to HKG. Much nicer airport anyway.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I was thinking of even just going to HKG, but felt it was such a hassle from Guangzhou. In the future I'll just go to HKG. Much nicer airport anyway.
I actually meant you can check through your luggage at CAN and transit in HKG. There is a KA flight from CAN-HKG and many flights from HKG-KIX. Transit in HKG is so easy.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:50 am

CAN-HKG is a short but usually-expensive little flight add-on unless you get lucky. But 4x price for the nonstop vs the TAO routing is Ouch! I think I'd have gone overland to HKIA and just flown nonstop from there.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jiejie
CAN-HKG is a short but usually-expensive little flight add-on unless you get lucky. But 4x price for the nonstop vs the TAO routing is Ouch! I think I'd have gone overland to HKIA and just flown nonstop from there.
Given the 4x multiple, I would probably fly to TAO or DLC the night before, and enjoy either... go back to the airport just in time for my flight. Both airports are very good for Japan/Korea operations (one of the main reasons CA and MU rely on them so heavily).
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

The flight from TAO was practically empty. Everyone had their own row. So I can see why it is so cheap.

But I find it interesting how CZ is so much more expensive than MU (I mean, on other flighta from China as well when I have searched before). Did it become China's premium airline?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.