Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

International Transfer from T2 -> T1 Shanghai Pudong PVG

Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

I am going to book a ticket from Montreal to Ho Chi Minh with transit in Shanghai Pudong. The first leg (Montreal-Shanghai) is operated by Air Canada, and the second leg from Shanghai to Ho Chi Minh is on China Eastern.

Both flights are on the same ticket, and these two airlines have an interline agreement that my checked luggage will be sent to my final destination.

However, Air Canada operates in T2 while my flight with China Eastern departs at T1. I'm a citizen of a country that does NOT qualify for the transit without visa. So, is there any way to connect T2 -> T1 airside without going through immigration. I do not want to apply for a Chinese visa just for transit, but this flight is significant cheaper than the second cheapest one.

Thanks all for your help!
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

1. I highly doubt that your luggage will get through checked; plan on picking it up and rechecking with MU
2. I don't know of any countries whose citizens aren't permitted basic TWOV
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Do not book this ticket!

So, is there any way to connect T2 -> T1 airside without going through immigration.
No! You have to pass immigration, pick up your bags, go through customs, walk to T1, check in your bags, pass customs, pass immigration, pass security ...

I do not want to apply for a Chinese visa just for transit
What is your citizenship?

but this flight is significant cheaper than the second cheapest one.
These kind of connections through Mainland China (e.g. PEK, PVG) between two different airlines should be avoided at all costs.
Though you are on one ticket, if you misconnect, I doubt the MU staff will be willing to understand English with your plea for a free rebooking to a later flight to Vietnam.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by warakorn
Do not book this ticket!
It seems fine to me. There is a healthy layover between AC arrivals (YVR or YYZ) and the MU flight to SGN. Furthermore, there are two more flights to SGN (CZ and VN) that fall within the 24 hour window.

What is your citizenship?
Citizenship is a moot point, assuming the <24 hour stopover.

These kind of connections through Mainland China (e.g. PEK, PVG) between two different airlines should be avoided at all costs.
Though you are on one ticket, if you misconnect, I doubt the MU staff will be willing to understand English with your plea for a free rebooking to a later flight to Vietnam.
Misconnecting would be very difficult, given the length of the layover, and I imagine MU would assist if it came to that because it is on one ticket.

ETA: I just doublechecked the AC schedules. YYZ arrives at 4p, and YVR at 420p. You would need a 4+ hour delay to be at risk of missing the MU flight (at 10p). 4+ hour delays on transpacs are exceedingly rare, and when they do happen, it's almost always at the point of origin (so there are ample opportunities to make alternate arrangements).
ETA again: I noticed that there is now a yul-pvg nonstop, which arrives at 440p. 5.25 hours is still more than enough time to pull off the connection without worry.

Last edited by moondog; Feb 23, 2017 at 3:59 pm
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:41 pm

There is no airside transfer facility between T2 and T1 at PVG.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:02 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by warakorn
You have to pass immigration, pick up your bags, go through customs, walk to T1, check in your bags, pass customs, pass immigration, pass security ...
I've just confirmed (not sure what his FT handle is) that this info is current as of date.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:03 pm

There is no way

First, I don’t think you can check your luggage through. Second, there is no way to transit airside.

If you insist to book this ticket, apply for a visa.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by robbbbb
First, I don’t think you can check your luggage through. Second, there is no way to transit airside.

If you insist to book this ticket, apply for a visa.
If required, the OP can get a transit visa at PVG on arrival. Shanghai is one of the cities the allows for passengers making international to international connections to get a 72 hour transit visa at the airport.

Years ago, a friend of mine had a 14 hour layover in PEK traveling from the U.S. to Bangkok. She was able to get a transit visa at PEK, with no trouble whatsoever, and we had coffee, and she took a shower at my apartment, and we had lunch, before she went back to PEK to continue her journey. The OP is fine, as long as he/she is from one of the 52 eligible countries.

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/emb...a/free-72hour/
Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:08 am

OP has mentioned that
I'm a citizen of a country that does NOT qualify for the transit without visa.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:22 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator Note.

For several reasons, (PVG Connections; Visa requirements or exceptions), this topic is better discussed in the dedicated forum on China. I'll move it there. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.