Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Help!! New China Visa Photo Requirements

Help!! New China Visa Photo Requirements

Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:57 pm

Just one data point, but our family of five received visas this month using a standard US passport photo. The courier service we used had a lengthy list of dos and don'ts, but they just asked for the "regular" photo.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Just got visa using regular passport pics.

Chicago Consulate
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Just got my visa using a standard US passport size photo taken at CVS.
Washington DC Embassy Visa Office.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chrisny2
Just got my visa using a standard US passport size photo taken at CVS.
Washington DC Embassy Visa Office.
The visa agency (Oasis?) on the third floor of the same building as the visa office also does pictures, and guarantees they'll be accepted.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
I was is the AAA Alexandria VA office renewing my international license this Tuesday. The woman ahead of me was getting China visa photos taken for the third time. The woman helping her said she had been hearing a lot of this type of problem recently.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Double Up! http://www.shanghaidaily.com/metro/p.../shdaily.shtml

First face-recognition system for air passengers boarding in China.

It takes pictures of passengers’ faces at security checkpoints and stores them in a database along with their boarding pass information.

When passengers submit their passes for scanning as they board their flight, a camera at the boarding gate captures their images again and compares their facial features with photos taken previously.

Yes they got a pile of new requirements in 2016
Haven't they been doing that for years (at least manually)? When departing Beijing they take a picture at immigration/security checkpoint, and that pops up on the screen when you board the plane.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
Haven't they been doing that for years (at least manually)? When departing Beijing they take a picture at immigration/security checkpoint, and that pops up on the screen when you board the plane.
That's for security (and also to make boarding faster) - so you can't swap boarding passes (and passports) with someone else. This check does actually make sense.

Otherwise, pax A (with a Visa to country 1) booked on a flight to country 1 could swap with pax B (Booked to country 2 which doesn't require a Visa) - at the Gate, they'd either have to extensively check the passport again (And your passport picture could be close to 10 years old, try to properly check every pax boarding.. that's what the immigration officers are for) - or just double-check if the pic recently taken at immigration is the one from the pax showing up at the gate. Second solution is definitely faster
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:56 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I don't have the time and energy, unfortunately, to deal with taking my own picture, uploading it to a website, and hoping it works, so, I called the Walgreens near me. They told me that they take a digital photo of you, then they enter the specific country that you're traveling to in their kiosk computer, and, it supposedly knows the specific dimensions for the photo requirements for that country. Then, it shows a template of where they line up your pic on top, and print the pic. The only thing the clerk didn't know is, if their software has been updated to the new measurements.

So, tomorrow, I'll go to Walgreens and hope for the best. If they won't accept it when I get to the NYC visa office, for some reason, I guess I'll have my picture taken on the second floor of the NYC visa office. They say they do them there, but, I plan to arrive there first thing in the morning when they open, and I really don't want to be too far back in the queue so I won't spend my only day in NYC waiting in line!

Last edited by davetravels; Mar 22, 2017 at 9:04 pm
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:17 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
That's for security (and also to make boarding faster) - so you can't swap boarding passes (and passports) with someone else. This check does actually make sense.

Otherwise, pax A (with a Visa to country 1) booked on a flight to country 1 could swap with pax B (Booked to country 2 which doesn't require a Visa) -
Switcheroo

Police arrest passenger who boarded plane in Hong Kong as an old man in flat cap and arrived in Canada a young Asian refugee

The agency refused to reveal several details about the man's disguise but did disclose he had embarked with a boarding pass belonging to another passenger.

Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

We sent off 18 Visa applications to the Chinese Embassy last week---4 of the pictures were rejected.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 5:40 am

can i use the same picture that i have on my passport? i'm in the process of renewing my passport, then to get chinese visa thereafter, so wondering. thanks,
Old Aug 27, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by matthewak
can i use the same picture that i have on my passport? i'm in the process of renewing my passport, then to get chinese visa thereafter, so wondering. thanks,
You should be ok using an extra copy of your passport photo.
Here's some more explanation: http://visa.ywpw.com/forms/visaphoto.html
Old Aug 27, 2017, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by mrjay
You should be ok using an extra copy of your passport photo.
Here's some more explanation: http://visa.ywpw.com/forms/visaphoto.html
As long as it was taken within 6 months. If your passport is more than 6 months old and you use the same picture they will very likely notice and reject your application.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:14 pm

thanks, it's nice that the 2x2 inch one is still accepted according to that link. i was thinking i would have to prepare a different size of it, as the samples shown there and elsewhere don't indicate the 2x2, which is strange isn't it...

from the link you gave, it points out about the off-white not being accepted; here's a tool i found that can make the background white: https://burner.bonanza.com
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:11 am

These new China reqirements are serious! You can cut down a 2x2 photo to the correct dimensions. My friend in LA tried to get a China visa last week, and after waiting in line all day, got the bad news. And you can't cut them at the consulate! They tell you to come back tomorrow!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.