Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing PEK airport 6hr layover Food recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Beijing PEK airport 6hr layover Food recommendations

Hi

We have a 6hr stopover from Bangkok to PEK Beijing then onto London. We land at PEK at 6.30am.

I would like to take my partner for a nice meal and experience Dim Sum & Pekingese food. Any recommendations airside or landside? We are not willing to trek into town on this occasion.

Many thanks

Last edited by Pomfern; Feb 13, 2017 at 1:39 am
Old Feb 12, 2017, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Pomfern
Hi

We have a 6hr stopover from Bangkok to Pudong, then onto London. We land at PEK at 6.30am.

I would like to take my partner for a nice meal and experience Dim Sum & Pekingese food. Any recommendations airside or landside? We are not willing to trek into town on this occasion.

Many thanks
Are you talking about Shanghai or Beijing? Which airlines?
Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *G, EY Gold, AZ CFP (ST E+). Hilton Gold
Since OP was on about Peking duck, I would hazard a guess to say Beijing. But I could be wrong.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks for calling up the blatant mistake! Helps if I get the airport correctly!
Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:44 am
Original Poster

I fly in on Air China CA980 6.30 AM 05/03/17
Out on CA937 12.30 05/03/17
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:15 am

As far as I know, there is no good food airside and landside there is only fast food places.
Dim Sum is not Beijing food although you can find some in Beijing.
As it will be breakfast, your choice of local food is limited, especially around the airport.
If you wish to stay around the airport then you can look at breakfast in some nicer airport hotels like the Hilton. Although I suspect that for breakfast they probably have the usual buffet.
Maybe someone knows of places in Shunyi which is not to far from the airport.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by JPDM
As far as I know, there is no good food airside and landside there is only fast food places.
Dim Sum is not Beijing food although you can find some in Beijing.
As it will be breakfast, your choice of local food is limited, especially around the airport.
If you wish to stay around the airport then you can look at breakfast in some nicer airport hotels like the Hilton. Although I suspect that for breakfast they probably have the usual buffet.
Maybe someone knows of places in Shunyi which is not to far from the airport.
1. If I were the OP, I'd do the Hilton (in addition to eating, slot in a swim)
2. If the 6 hour layover was later in the day, and/or the OP was transiting in T2, I'd recommend the Shunyi option instead
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by moondog
1. If I were the OP, I'd do the Hilton (in addition to eating, slot in a swim)
2. If the 6 hour layover was later in the day, and/or the OP was transiting in T2, I'd recommend the Shunyi option instead
Shunyi may not be good for foreigners new to China. If later in the day, Shunyi is good as long as not late at night. There is no taxi at 10pm. Should take taxi back to the airport around 9pm to be safe.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Shunyi may not be good for foreigners new to China. If later in the day, Shunyi is good as long as not late at night. There is no taxi at 10pm. Should take taxi back to the airport around 9pm to be safe.
OP arrives at 6h30am for a 6-hour layover. He is looking for breakfast.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM
OP arrives at 6h30am for a 6-hour layover. He is looking for breakfast.
In post 7, I qualified my Shunyi recommendation with "later in the day".

@cxfan: Why do you say that Shunyi isn't good for people new to China? There are decent restaurants, a few parks, and almost everyone speaks English.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
We're really talking about a 3 or 4-hour layover if you decide to go landside, considering transportation and re-clearing security and immigration. Rather than leaving the airport premises, there are few restaurants on the upper level of landside T3. I presume that they are just passable, nothing to rave about. I can't comment about airside restaurants in T3E, but I don't assume them to offer much more in terms of a "China experience."
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
We're really talking about a 3 or 4-hour layover if you decide to go landside, considering transportation and re-clearing security and immigration. Rather than leaving the airport premises, there are few restaurants on the upper level of landside T3. I presume that they are just passable, nothing to rave about. I can't comment about airside restaurants in T3E, but I don't assume them to offer much more in terms of a "China experience."
Correct...they are just passable. (KRR was "passable plus", but it is no longer there.)

F&B at the Hilton is honestly quite good, and we're only talking about an 800 meter walk (or a 2 minute shuttle ride).
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
In post 7, I qualified my Shunyi recommendation with "later in the day".

@cxfan: Why do you say that Shunyi isn't good for people new to China? There are decent restaurants, a few parks, and almost everyone speaks English.
Got that but was responding to cxfan1960 who was talking about difficulty in getting taxis at 10pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.