Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Android find my phone

Android find my phone

Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Android find my phone

Does it work in China? Or does China's hatred of all things Google block it? (And, if so, would a VPN make it work?)
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Does it work in China? Or does China's hatred of all things Google block it? (And, if so, would a VPN make it work?)
There are numerous "find my phone" apps, so I'm guessing that at least some of them work in China.

I don't have personal experience in this area because I don't download useless apps, as a matter of policy (I.e. why degrade phone performance for the sake of a pipedream).

I have lost 6 phones during the course of the past ~20 years, and recovered 1.

My SOP is to call it, and hope that the taxi driver is kind person. If he is, I can meet him, and get it back. If he isn't, I buy a new phone.

On the surface, you might assume an app that has the ability to pinpoint his house will aid your cause, but the phone will not be at his house by the time you get your act in gear, and it will no longer be traceable.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
There are numerous "find my phone" apps, so I'm guessing that at least some of them work in China.

I don't have personal experience in this area because I don't download useless apps, as a matter of policy (I.e. why degrade phone performance for the sake of a pipedream).

I have lost 6 phones during the course of the past ~20 years, and recovered 1.

My SOP is to call it, and hope that the taxi driver is kind person. If he is, I can meet him, and get it back. If he isn't, I buy a new phone.

On the surface, you might assume an app that has the ability to pinpoint his house will aid your cause, but the phone will not be at his house by the time you get your act in gear, and it will no longer be traceable.
I'm talking about the stock capability, not any app. For an easy demonstration of it, if you have an Android phone go to www.google.com while signed in to Google and search for "find my phone". The capability works, my question is whether it is blocked over there as part of their hatred of things Google. (The "find my phone" route is definitely blocked but there are other ways of accessing it.)

And the issue isn't theft, but reuniting party members. I would not expect to recover a lost phone in China.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.