Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chongqing, Chengdu or both?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2016, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Chongqing, Chengdu or both?

As mentioned in another thread, I was planning to go to Chongqing for the Mid-autumn festival weekend. My colleagues seem split on whether I should go to Chongqing or Chengdu, so a couple of them suggested that I do both!

How feasible is it to do both now that the HSR train is operating (if it makes a difference as JPDM says)?

I would be flying from WUX so the flights would leave Wednesday evening and come back Sunday morning. I could fly to CTU (stay at the Hilton since the Fairmont isn't open yet) and have time for a drink in the lounge and go find street food, explore Thursday morning/lunch (not bothered this trip about the pandas) and then take the train to Chongqing. I would then have Thursday night and all day Friday and Saturday to explore Chongqing and I would love to go to Laitan for a day if I can figure out how. I would then fly back to Wuxi on Sunday morning.

I will only have a small carryon backpack with my things which I am comfortable carrying all day. Is this an appropriate itinerary? Should I just do the whole weekend in Chongqing?

Recommendations or ideas are welcome!

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
Old Sep 5, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: various
I would just stick to one or the other. I like Chengdu a lot and dislike Chongqing as a city, but if you decide on the latter, a day for the city itself is enough, then do some trips to the area outside. Besides Laitan, daytrips to Dazu or the Wulong karst area are feasible. For Chengdu, no shortage of things to daytrip to and the city itself is good for a couple of days. Most of these places will be pretty busy with locals taking a break.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 2:45 pm

On paper, Chongqing seems like it should be a fascinating place to visit, set as it is on hilly territory and so different from the flat cities elsewhere in China. But it never delivers on that promise for me. I'm not sure why, but the grim unpleasant weather is a factor, as is the surprising lack of good food.

Sort of like two very different siblings from the same family, it's hard to believe that Chengdu and Chongqing are -- historically -- both great Sichuanese cities, so sharp is the difference.

That said, Chengdu did lose much of its charm to redevelopment, but it's still a good place to visit, with great food everywhere.

As for side trips, I like the old city of Langzhong, though it might be a bit far on your timetable.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Chengdu is a very pleasant place. Chongqing, not so much. I would devote the entire trip to Chengdu and make day trips from there to Leshan, Emeishan, Panda Research Base, etc. Foodwise, Chengdu is also much more accessible for first-time visitors. For starters, IMO Chongqing's "food streets" are very underwhelming, and in terms of restaurants, Chengdu also has it beat.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: http://www.chengdutravelagency.com
Yes, Chengdu, more worth visiting places. from Chengdu to Chongqing only takes two hours,But high-speed rail is often full.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 1:35 am

I vote for the daytime in Chengdu and night in Chongqing plan
Old Sep 9, 2016, 8:31 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

For a Chinese city, Chengdu is rather compact. Can't say that there was too much memorable downtown - save for a vendor at a temple selling "potato juice" - but the food worked. Made a day trip to Leshan, but I reckon the crowds are much, much worse now (last visited Leshan in 2006; Chengdu, 2014).

Chongqing is massive and dystopian. Feels like it would be good for a Chinese Blade Runner, what with the huge monorail system perpetually hazy skies. Since it's hilly, you don't have as many bicycles trying to mow you down...though fear not, as the cars more than make up for it.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all.

I will be spending 2 nights in Chongqing and 2 nights in Chengdu. Unfortunately the flights aren't ideal, so I get in late the first night and leave early the last morning. I'm probably going to take the bus to Wulong for my main day in Chongqing, so it will be an early start! I'll have Friday morning to explore Chongqing and then head off to Chengdu in time for a wander before dinner. I'll have more time to enjoy the food in Chengdu and a bit more relaxed pace.

Thanks for the help

Dr. PITUK
Old Sep 9, 2016, 6:14 pm

Ciqikou is Chongqing's "old town" -- easily reached by Metro -- and while it's touristy as can be, it's still a lot of fun just to mingle with the crowds out enjoying themselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.