Wiki Posts
Search

XIY airport transfer

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, MM
XIY airport transfer

We will be arriving in Xian very late, about midnight. We were advised to get private transportation to the hilton instead of using a taxi due to the late hour. Any recommendations for a car service?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:18 am

The taxi rank in XIY is well organized even at midnight.

To be honest, I'd suggest take a taxi to your hotel instead of hiring private cars which would be actually more risky.

BTW, why not stay at the Regal Airport Hotel just close to T3 for your transfer since it is quite a long distance from XIY to the downtown.

Last edited by dongyeh; Aug 29, 2016 at 1:25 am
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

By "airport transfer", I gather he simply meant transportation from airport to hotel (the most common use of the term in question).

Eta: I second the taxi suggestion...the queue shouldn't be more than 5 minutes.

Last edited by moondog; Aug 29, 2016 at 6:58 am
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: various
I third the taxi transfer. Not sure what is going on in the mind of whomever "advised" you to engage the private car.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by jiejie
I third the taxi transfer. Not sure what is going on in the mind of whomever "advised" you to engage the private car.
Perhaps the "advisor" was under the employ of the Hilton.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by moondog
Perhaps the "advisor" was under the employ of the Hilton.
I think it's pretty common for western hotels in China to advise their non-Chinese guests (and maybe their chinese guests) to get an airport transfer rather than a taxi. Obviously there's money in it for them, but for someone going to China for the first time, navigating a taxi queue isn't necessarily the easiest.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:57 pm

Of course, it's a profit center for the hotel, like drinks and desserts in restaurants. There are reasonable issues that some people have, that make taking a private car preferable to a public taxi, but in this case it isn't going to be lack of availability nor should it be fear of getting a scalawag driver. Translation issues are as simple as a printout in Chinese of the hotel and address. The Hilton is not exactly obscure. But if the OP can afford it and prefers a hotel-provided car, that will resolve their transfer logistics--the main issue will then be keeping an eye out for the driver in the terminal.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Personal anecdote from my first trip to Xian, in 2013: We arrived on one of the last flights of the day. My female companion, who is quite gregarious, spotted a Western couple that looked lost, and offered to share a taxi into the city. The four of us took a regulated taxi from the rank, and the ride was metered. Nevertheless, the driver took us on the scenic route, all on expressways, that ended up being 1 hour long (at around midnight, with no traffic) and a 250 RMB fare. During the ride, I began sensing something was wrong when I noticed few lights outside (we were supposed to be heading into the city, not out). So I used my google map app to trace where we were. We then discussed our strategy, in English, about what to do when we finally get to the hostel. It turned out to be a very short argument in front of the hostel. We threatened to get the hostel night manager involved, and the young guy driver agreed to settle for 150 RMB, which is really what the normal cab fare should be. I would have given him 200 RMB because I actually felt sorry for him, but since there were four of us, 150 it was.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:55 am
Original Poster

This is not our first trip to Xian. First time getting there so late. Recommendation for private transfer was from multiple sources. We will gladly take all the advice and use a taxi. My understanding, albeit from the same sources, is to negotiate a rate, not rely on meter. Is this right? We arrived by train last time.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by FC flyer
My understanding, albeit from the same sources, is to negotiate a rate, not rely on meter. Is this right? We arrived by train last time.
That's two strikes against your sources. Why on earth wouldn't you use the meter from the airport into town?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
That's two strikes against your sources. Why on earth wouldn't you use the meter from the airport into town?
Limited sample size, but I've had no problem with metered taxis from airport to near city center. And no circuitous routes. Traffic, sure.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by FC flyer
This is not our first trip to Xian. First time getting there so late. Recommendation for private transfer was from multiple sources. We will gladly take all the advice and use a taxi. My understanding, albeit from the same sources, is to negotiate a rate, not rely on meter. Is this right? We arrived by train last time.
My experience last year (May, 2015) is that the official at the taxi rank will give every passenger arrived at midnight a sheet in both Chinese & English showing the estimated cost from XIY to some major destinations in/around Xi'an.

IMHO, there is no need to negotiate a rate. If the rate is far more than the estimated one, just call 110.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:18 am
Original Poster

great info. Thanks. Our first time in Beijing, the taxi driver tried to rip us off. With the right information going in, we came out just fine.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:45 am

Agree. Any other advice? One more strike and those sources are out!
Old Sep 8, 2016, 8:46 am
Original Poster

As you all said, no problems with taxi service, smooth and cheaper than expected. Thanks all for the help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.