FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   New China Eastern MU route from Chicago to Shanghai (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1752419-new-china-eastern-mu-route-chicago-shanghai.html)

heman_s Mar 14, 2016 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Jan3Sobieski (Post 26328854)
Ah, gotcha, I understand now.

Clearblue,
I brought the ticket from vayama.com As I understand, If you dont buy the tickets from the official china eastern US website, the overnight hotel is not given. If that true ? We will be staying in the bund area, but while coming back we were thinking about staying at the PVG ramada inn. It would be nice to avail the free hotel on the return trip. Any advice if we can get the hotel ?

moondog Mar 14, 2016 8:39 am

Originally Posted by heman_s (Post 26330249)
Clearblue,
I brought the ticket from vayama.com As I understand, If you dont buy the tickets from the official china eastern US website, the overnight hotel is not given. If that true ? We will be staying in the bund area, but while coming back we were thinking about staying at the PVG ramada inn. It would be nice to avail the free hotel on the return trip. Any advice if we can get the hotel ?

I'm not sure what channels qualify for the free hotel, but I can tell you that there are some pretty horid hotels on their list.

heman_s Mar 14, 2016 9:52 am

With help of a chinese colleague I was successful in doing seat selection online. !!!!!

heman_s Mar 20, 2016 2:13 pm

China Eastern Chicago to Shanghai

Any experiences ? good or bad ? If you had connecting MU flights was the baggage checked through OR you had to collect the baggage at PVG ?

MSPeconomist Mar 22, 2016 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by clearblue (Post 26328328)
ORD-PVG fight arrives in the evening and PVG-NRT leaves the next day morning. Similarly NRT-PVG arrives in the evening and PVG-ORG leaves the next day around noon. So, I needed to stay at hotels overnight. MU paid for it, otherwise I had to arrange hotel accommodation. Inbound and outbound flights both got cancelled on the day I purchased ticked for back in mid January.

I told them to reschedule the fight next day, but I could have asked to reschedule other days too. I am going on a 8 country aisa tour and I have already purchased tickets and booked hotels so couldn't change the date too much.

What kind of hotels are they giving you?

heman_s Mar 28, 2016 2:37 pm

ORD-PVG

anyone with recent experience ?

Jan3Sobieski Apr 21, 2016 11:54 am

Just wanted to follow up on my trip.

ORD->PVG->CSX All on one China Eastern ticket.

At ORD I was only issued ORD->PVG boarding pass. Once at PVG, I had to pick up my checked in luggage at the carousel and instead of walking out, you can go to transit, recheck the baggage there, and they will issue you a new boarding pass.

On the way back the luggage was checked all the way to ORD, did not have to pick up at PVG, plane from CSX->PVG was delayed by 40 min (layover at PVG is only 1hr40min, so kinda a big deal) but once we landed, as soon as we left the plane, there was a guy waiting asking passengers flying to Chicago or New York to follow him. He got the group through some back doors, did passport check again and went straight to the gate. Plane was almost done boarding by the time we got there.

From what i heard from another passenger, the PVG->ORD plane will wait for the incoming passengers if they're flying in from a different city to catch the connection. I'm not sure how long they wait, but they wait.

heman_s Apr 21, 2016 6:59 pm

Jan3Sobeiski, thanks for your information.

Clearblue, Did you make your ORD-PVG-NRT trip ? if yes can you share your experience ?

guyinmotion May 1, 2016 12:08 am

Guys, I know this thread is about ORD-PVG. Can any one comment on the hard product on business? Better yet, PVG-JFK-PVG? I first flew on MU last week (SIN-PVG) it was not bad despite the seat not being fully flat. As it was a red-eye, I didn't bother with the food. Any comments before I book? If I do, it would be SIN-PVG-JFK-PVG-SIN. The alternative would be DL or AF, but incurred significant savings if I go with MU. Thanks!

moondog May 1, 2016 1:22 am

Originally Posted by guyinmotion (Post 26559907)
Guys, I know this thread is about ORD-PVG. Can any one comment on the hard product on business? Better yet, PVG-JFK-PVG? I first flew on MU last week (SIN-PVG) it was not bad despite the seat not being fully flat. As it was a red-eye, I didn't bother with the food. Any comments before I book? If I do, it would be SIN-PVG-JFK-PVG-SIN. The alternative would be DL or AF, but incurred significant savings if I go with MU. Thanks!

The hard product in business on the 77W is quite good...definitely better than DL and AF, in my opinion. The soft product gets mixed reviews. Personally I prefer both DL and AF, but half of the people I work with (especially Chinese) disagree.

guyinmotion May 1, 2016 1:35 pm

Thank you Moondog. Forgot to mention that the entertainment system left a lot to be desired - a bit daunting for a 24+ hour trip. But why not? I will give it a try. Thanks again.