FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china-613/)
-   -   Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/1601604-connecting-airport-transit-inside-pvg-shanghai-pudong-merged-pvg-connection-thread.html)

AABOSSFO Apr 24, 2007 12:13 am

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Hi all,

Looking for some advice regarding a connection in Shanghai (PVG). I'm flying in from Kuala Lumpur (KUL) on Malaysian Airlines, arriving at 2:10p and then connecting on AA to ORD departing at 4:10p. I'm a bit worried that the 2-hour connection time may not be sufficient. Both arrival and departure are at Terminal 1. But will I need to collect my luggage and/or clear customs etc.? Would greatly appreciate any advice from folks familiar with connecting through PVG.

Thanks in advance!

Joe.

moondog Apr 24, 2007 8:06 am

I'd be comfortable with that connection. I believe 45 mins is AA's official check-in deadline at PVG, but when bookings are heavy, that figure occasionally morphs into 60 minutes. But, even 60 minutes (based on your 2 hours total) is more than enough time to comfortably make it from your first flight to the AA check-in counter (PVG only has one operational terminal btw). Furthermore, ime inbound delays for regional international flights are not all that common.

Also, on the remote chance that you are flying on a single ticket, I dare say you have nothing at all to worry about because there are a lot of flights on which you could be protected (UA to ORD, AC to YVR/YYZ, MU to NYC, etc).

Kiwi Flyer Apr 25, 2007 10:12 pm

Shanghai Pudong (PVG) showers

Hi

Is there anywhere to shower at/near the airport, for reasonable cost? In lounge (I'll have access to *G lounges)? Public showers? Transit hotel or reasonably priced day room?

Thanks in advance.

moondog Apr 25, 2007 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 7642166)
Hi

Is there anywhere to shower at/near the airport, for reasonable cost? In lounge (I'll have access to *G lounges)? Public showers? Transit hotel or reasonably priced day room?

Thanks in advance.

I've heard the spa (plus swimming pool and gym) at the Ramada is decent.... and infinitely better than any place in the airport itself, regardless of whether or not any showers actually exist there. They have a shuttle bus, but I'd probably just walk over there myself (you can see it from the terminal).

Kiwi Flyer Apr 25, 2007 10:40 pm

Thanks moondog - I was worried I'd have nothing available. Any idea on cost?

moondog Apr 25, 2007 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 7642265)
Thanks moondog - I was worried I'd have nothing available. Any idea on cost?

I was going to reply with a guess ($10-15), but then it occurred to me that I could simply pick up the phone and end the mystery.

I was right: y80 (just over $10).

On the other hand, I was under the impression that their massage prices would be similarly reasonable.... they're not. y380 gets you a 45 minute body or 60 minute foot massage. Aromatherapy, oil, hot rocks, and the like are all at least 60 mins and price in the y600 range. This is still expensive, but comparatively better than paying 380 for the basic stuff.

Kiwi Flyer Apr 25, 2007 11:16 pm

Thanks again.

olimaspecto Apr 30, 2007 8:41 pm

I've only done one int'l to int'l connection at PVG, but based on my experience that time you will have to go and collect your bags and go through customs and immigration. IIRC someone (perhaps moondog even, though maybe not) had mentioned that PVG was working to simply transfer procedures and would eventually not require the same immigration process as if you are entering PRC, but I don't know if that is implemented yet.

Kiwi Flyer Jun 10, 2007 6:42 pm

As the PVG transit hotel is in arrivals before immigration I ended up not trying them or checking them out. So I still don't know if they have showers.

AABOSSFO Aug 14, 2007 5:38 pm

Thanks, all, for the great advice. Just wanted to update and say that I made the connection through PVG with no problems. I may have been lucky, but I breezed through immigration, quickly collected my luggage, breezed through customs, and had no line at the AA desk. Got to the gate with plenty of time to spare.

In fact, the entire process was about 10x smoother than the process of collecting my luggage in BOS at the end of the trip, ugh.

Thanks again.

moondog Aug 15, 2007 7:23 am

Originally Posted by olimaspecto (Post 7666719)
IIRC someone (perhaps moondog even, though maybe not) had mentioned that PVG was working to simply transfer procedures and would eventually not require the same immigration process as if you are entering PRC

That may or may not have been me, but I am pleased to report that PEK has already started to move in this direction. They now have transfer counters that allow pax to transit airside as long as they are flying out on CA metal. Not the greatest arrangement, I know, but a good start nonetheless. Furthermore, I'm willing to go on the record in predicting that, by the time the "pumpkins" open for business early next year, we'll be within striking distance of NRT and ICN in terms of int-int convenience. Unfortunately, until the Chinese figure out how to clear their airways during rush hour (I've heard that the PLA is largely to blame for this frequent phenomenon), those afternoon delays will continue, particularly on the PEK-HKG sector (all destinations in between --Zhengzhou, Wuhan, Changsha, Shenzhen, Guangzhou-- and beyond --SIN, BKK, SGN-- also apply).

Witling Nov 4, 2008 12:57 pm

Pudong transit info

Greetings.
Later this month I will be flying from BKK to PVG on China Eastern connecting onto Delta to ATL. This will be my first time in China. I will have approximately 2 1/2 hours between flights.

I would like to know what the procedures are for making a transit at PVG. I have tried to find this info on the Pudong website but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

My main concerns are:
1. Do I need to retrieve my checked bag or will it be transfered for me?
2. Do I need to pay the airport construction tax? If so, do they take US money or will I need to exchange some?

Anything else I need to know please feel free to pass it along.
Thank you.

Noodlesz Nov 5, 2008 1:23 am

This has been addressed many times in this forum.

Just go to the transit desk, show your passport and onward boarding pass and get a stamp and walk to the gate.

I do not believe Chian Eastern and Delta are part of the same alliance so you'll have to retreive bag. You can double check with them directly. Though last time I flew AA to PVG to connect to MU, and they said they will check it through, but as I was in transit I happened to have seen it on the baggage belt, so I grabbed it...luckily. Otherwise it would've been left in China.

Taxes are included in airfare, no paying at the airport. No US money accepted at china airport. Use credit card or change before u arrive. I arrived late so all banks were closed, could not change money.

Originally Posted by Witling (Post 10633578)
Greetings.
Later this month I will be flying from BKK to PVG on China Eastern connecting onto Delta to ATL. This will be my first time in China. I will have approximately 2 1/2 hours between flights.

I would like to know what the procedures are for making a transit at PVG. I have tried to find this info on the Pudong website but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

My main concerns are:
1. Do I need to retrieve my checked bag or will it be transfered for me?
2. Do I need to pay the airport construction tax? If so, do they take US money or will I need to exchange some?

Anything else I need to know please feel free to pass it along.
Thank you.

Witling Nov 5, 2008 12:38 pm

Thanks for the info.
I appreciate it.

Update Nov. 9, 2008 I found this info at Delta.com. It is as current as it gets:

09NOV08

National U.S.A. (US)
Transit China (People's Rep.) (CN)
Destination Thailand (TH)
ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW
China (People's Rep.) (CN)

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Those passengers continuing their journey within 24 hours (or within the same day at Guangzhou - CAN) to a third country by the same or first connecting aircraft, and holding documents and confirmed tickets for their onward journey.

Leaving the airport transit area is allowed. Overnight facilities are available outside the airport:
Visa required, except for Nationals of U.S.A., provided arriving at and departing from Shanghai Hongqiao or Pu Dong airports only, continuing to a third country within 48 hours and holding confirmed onward tickets and all documents required for next destination.

Warning:
- Passengers not complying with the entry or transit
regulations will be deported by same or returning aircraft.

(For details see below)

09NOV08

China (People's Rep.) (CN)

Warning:
- Passengers not complying with the entry or transit
regulations will be deported by same or returning aircraft.

Fines for the transporting carriers varying between CNY 500.- and CNY 2,000.- will be levied for each passenger arriving in China (People's Rep.) without proper travel documents, with an additional fine which varies between CNY 5,000.- and CNY 10,000.-. NOTE: Immigration is now carrying out stronger document checks.

CHECK TINEWS/N1 - ELECTRONIC SYSTEM FOR TRAVEL AUTHORIZATION (ESTA) FOR VWP TRAVELERS TO THE USA

http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...tion/index.jsp

sanji Nov 5, 2009 2:54 pm

Connecting through PVG

Hi,
I am planning to connect from a SQ flight arriving from Singapore to a Air China Flight. I have 1 hour and 50 minutes till the Air China flight depart to Tokyo. Do you think I should be able to clear everything on time to get to the gate? Flight from SIN arrives at 3:15 PM and the Air China flight departs at 5:10 PM.