Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Shanghai Airport (PVG) transit: 2 hours enough?

Shanghai Airport (PVG) transit: 2 hours enough?

Old Sep 11, 16, 6:38 pm
jmw

I have an elderly relative who is going from ORD to HKG via PVG AA->CX. I've requested wheelchair service. Even if the bags say HKG, I should have her pick up bags on the carousel, go through immigration, and go to the check-in counters on the departure level, go through security. In other words, it's a slightly worse version of the LAX international connection experience, right?
Old Oct 17, 16, 7:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GA400 View Post
Thanks for sharing this, my mother and I are flying through there Tuesday night and I was concerned about the transfer. We are flying China Eastern on a Delta ticket, connecting in PVG enroute to PEK. I will report back with how long it takes us.
Sorry for my late follow up, it has been a busy few weeks since my return. We had helpful airport/airline staff waiting as we exited the jetway, they gave us a sticker for our shirts/jackets showing that we were transiting in China domestic, after a 5-10 minute walk, we were through a very short queue in less than 5 minutes. We had plenty of time for a bathroom visit and to purchase a bottled water and a snack.
Old Jan 22, 17, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
transit via PVG KA-AA on separate tickets

Hello similar question

HKG-PVG (KA874) ; PVG- LAX (AA182) (separate tickets)
arriving PVG at 3:30pm, Leaving to LAX at 6:25pm.
So this is legal MCT.
Would I encounter any issue? should I book earlier flight? KA892 12:05 arriving 14:50.. so it only save 40 mins, but I have to leaving almost 1 hours early, therefore not preferred. Pls advise.

Am I allow to check thru bag with separate tickets? Can I use transit counter instead of clear custom?

US passport if this matters.

Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 17, 12:06 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by Fly2Where View Post
Hello similar question

HKG-PVG (KA874) ; PVG- LAX (AA182) (separate tickets)
arriving PVG at 3:30pm, Leaving to LAX at 6:25pm.
So this is legal MCT.
Would I encounter any issue? should I book earlier flight? KA892 12:05 arriving 14:50.. so it only save 40 mins, but I have to leaving almost 1 hours early, therefore not preferred. Pls advise.

Am I allow to check thru bag with separate tickets? Can I use transit counter instead of clear custom?

US passport if this matters.

Thanks.
Please book a morning flight from HKG as those are about the only ones somewhat guaranteed to be on time at PVG.

A lot of military exercises in the East China Sea and therefore flight corridor closures early this year.

Last edited by mosburger; Feb 5, 17 at 6:15 am
Old Feb 5, 17, 4:11 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Thx... Looks it's too late. I already booked the 3pm flight. Have 2:55mins to reclaim bag and check in...
Old May 13, 18, 9:53 am

Hi. I am trying to book a return for my Mom.

I am looking at single AA award ticket from KHH to HKG, then HKG to PVG on KA874 arriving at 15:30. She'll be connecting to AA128 to DFW at 17:00. Is that too tight of a connection? She will be in business class all the way through, if that helps any at all.

She is "older" and not a seasoned traveler. She has also never connected via PVG, so any advice you can give me to give her would be greatly appreciated! She is a US passport holder. Thank you in advance!
Old May 13, 18, 12:13 pm
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by DFW1972 View Post
Hi. I am trying to book a return for my Mom.

I am looking at single AA award ticket from KHH to HKG, then HKG to PVG on KA874 arriving at 15:30. She'll be connecting to AA128 to DFW at 17:00. Is that too tight of a connection? She will be in business class all the way through, if that helps any at all.

She is "older" and not a seasoned traveler. She has also never connected via PVG, so any advice you can give me to give her would be greatly appreciated! She is a US passport holder. Thank you in advance!
I don't know if it is even a legal connection. If not, she won't get checked through by CX. Even if she can check through, I highly recommend against that. Short haul flights to/from PVG are unreliable (often late or cancelled). PVG is not a transit friendly airport. She has a slim chance of making a 90 min connection.
Old May 13, 18, 3:59 pm

Thanks for the reply.
It looks like we can get her in at 13:15 to PVG (scheduled to get in that time anyway) for a 17:00 connection. But, if she has to collect her bags and recheck them, then I don't want to do it since she is older and it will not be easy for her to move her bags. It was mentioned above that skipping immigration was only available for a select number of carriers. Does anyone know if a Cathay Dragon to AA connection will require my mom to go through immigration? Or will she be able to skip?
Thanks again!
Old May 28, 18, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
AC to TG at PVG Question

According to the PVG website, only a few *A carriers are listed who can do the "easy" Int-Int transfer: Shanghai Airport (Group) Limited

I'm flying on an AC-TG connection, 1 ticket. Will I have to head downstairs, face the long queue, run out and back upstairs, and face the length security and CIQ outbound as well? I have about 2 hours and 15 minutes and am flying in J, no checked luggage, if that helps.

I did a CA-SQ connection about years ago and had to exit all the way out to the public area. I'm worried that I'll have to do the same again.

Thanks for any light you can shine!
Old May 30, 18, 4:41 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BAG/OWE, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket View Post
According to the PVG website, only a few *A carriers are listed who can do the "easy" Int-Int transfer: Shanghai Airport (Group) Limited

I'm flying on an AC-TG connection, 1 ticket. Will I have to head downstairs, face the long queue, run out and back upstairs, and face the length security and CIQ outbound as well? I have about 2 hours and 15 minutes and am flying in J, no checked luggage, if that helps.

I did a CA-SQ connection about years ago and had to exit all the way out to the public area. I'm worried that I'll have to do the same again.

Thanks for any light you can shine!
There appears to be a transfer desk for Air New Zealand, Lufthansa and Swiss (https://airportmap.staralliance.com/...ml?airport=PVG).
I think for Air Canda and Thai Airways you will indeed need to proceed through immigration and back through departures. I think without baggage, 2.25 hours will be enough, the MCT for same terminal transfers is 2 hours anyway. It will be a hassle of course. There *may* be fast track departure immigration available if you are in business class...(see map). Make sure you get your boarding pass issued for both flights when you first check-in.

FWIW, I just did an international-international connection in PEK (CA-CA) using the official transfer process; it still took 40 minutes (no fast track)!
And it was just as well I got the boarding pass at my initial departure point as the "transfer desks" were not staffed.
Old Jun 10, 18, 7:13 pm

Programs: British Airways, AAdvantage, Marriott, Hyatt
I'm flying Delta ATL - PVG, and China Eastern PVG - SGN (Ho Chi Minh) . It was booked on one award ticket through Delta on one itinerary, but its not clear at all from my booking that I won't have to reclaim baggage. Has anyone actually had their baggage checked through on a INTL-China-INTL connection?
Old Nov 12, 18, 2:31 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, Skyteam EP
SK to DragonAir / 2h50mins?

Arriving on SK from Copenhagen (usually always on time or earlier) at 11:50 and continue on DragonAir to HKG at 14:45.

is this ok? Has anything improved on PVG?

both should resident at T2?
we travel with no luggage.
arrive in C, continue in X
Old Nov 12, 18, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bighc View Post
Arriving on SK from Copenhagen (usually always on time or earlier) at 11:50 and continue on DragonAir to HKG at 14:45.

is this ok? Has anything improved on PVG?

both should resident at T2?
we travel with no luggage.
arrive in C, continue in X
That should be fine, and KA has lots of flights from PVG in the unlikely event you misconnect.
bighc likes this.
Old Nov 14, 18, 1:37 am

I recently did a 1 hour 50 minute transfer on 2 separate tickets at PVG. LHR-PVG on BA and then PVG-HKG on CX. I had only carry-on and have the e-channel passport access so a bit easier than most transfers, but I made it to CX check in with 1:20 to spare. I had to leave the arrivals area and go to the departure hall to check in, there was no way to do it without going through the immigration and customs formalities. Anyhow, my point is if your flight is on time, it's definitely no issue although without e-channel or some other expedited access like APEC card, I wouldn't risk less than a 2:30 connection.
Old Nov 30, 18, 6:39 am

Don't worry, you have enough time.

Search this Thread