Wiki Posts
Search

Xian advice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: Yes, I belong.
Originally Posted by craz
Thx, I think I will roll the dice on the Ramada
Given your limited time, and if you’re planning on getting to the Terracotta Warriors or other points out of town, consider a car + driver and guide (see my previous post for a recommendation). The company I chose was excellent and affordable.

Have a great time in Xian!
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by YEGcg

Given your limited time, and if you’re planning on getting to the Terracotta Warriors or other points out of town, consider a car + driver and guide (see my previous post for a recommendation). The company I chose was excellent and affordable.

Driver, yes. Guide, not necessary if you do a little research on your own.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YEGcg

Thx, spoke with some friends who were there a couple of yrs ago, they said that a guide would be a waste for me, (not saying for everyone) will probably go with a driver for TCW and Big/Little Wild Pagos. And a 2nd day either arrival day or departure day(probably arrival) for a p/u at XIY and stop by Hanyanglin on the way to the city. Everything else I want to see is walkable from my hotel
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:39 am
Suspended

XIY to the City

Besides a taxi or private driver what are the other ways to get to the city itself ? I will be staying on North St near a subway stop Im thinking of going with a private driver p/u and making a stop or 2 rather then do it on my departure when I will be more pressed for time. But a private driver seems to be the neighbor of $100 US for the day and it might make more sense simply to use public transport and then get a driver for 1/2 day instead

Found his anyone know anything about it?City Bus:Buses run to the city, stopping in front of the Melody Hotel just West of the Bell Tower. Timings: Buses run hourly or so 0600-1830. Cost: CNY 27, takes 40 mins. From 1 map it looks like The Melody is anything but near the Bell Tower, although its on East St.If true seems best way is Bus to North Station and subway from there if not going with a private driver

I found the North Station way North of the City Walls, but where is the Main Station which takes 60 mins rather then 30 mins to reach? and is there a subway line that stops there?

Last edited by craz; Sep 13, 2018 at 11:07 am
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:46 pm

Besides a taxi or private driver what are the other ways to get to the city itself ? I will be staying on North St near a subway stop Im thinking of going with a private driver p/u and making a stop or 2 rather then do it on my departure when I will be more pressed for time. But a private driver seems to be the neighbor of $100 US for the day and it might make more sense simply to use public transport and then get a driver for 1/2 day instead

Found his anyone know anything about it?City Bus:Buses run to the city, stopping in front of the Melody Hotel just West of the Bell Tower. Timings: Buses run hourly or so 0600-1830. Cost: CNY 27, takes 40 mins. From 1 map it looks like The Melody is anything but near the Bell Tower, although its on East St.If true seems best way is Bus to North Station and subway from there if not going with a private driver

I found the North Station way North of the City Walls, but where is the Main Station which takes 60 mins rather then 30 mins to reach? and is there a subway line that stops there?
Pay 100 for the driver.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by moondog
Pay 100 for the driver.
Thought it would be alot more than that, Is that for a taxi off the rack or private driver? any idea what a stop at Hanyangling on the way to the city would add to it?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Thx, I think I will roll the dice on the Ramada
The Ramada Bell Tower, has a great location little over 5 min walk to The Bell Tower, < 15 to Southern Gate area , and 5 mins to Muslim Q

However, I dont recommend it, 1- the a/c doesnt work in the room was given a fan, even worse, when checking out they never mentioned anything about charging me in USD using their exchange rate, even thou I mentioned to charge my CC in Yuan. Ramada Guest Services said they will take care of getting the hotel to reverse the charge in USD and make it in Yuan, time will tell
YEGcg likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
We were in Xian about a year and a half ago, and found what we thought was a great deal at the Shangri-La. Outside the city center, but they had a special, we got a club level room at a rate than included transportation to and from the airport as well as a day-long tour - the tour included the warriors and then a stop a cute museum of local art. It did include a walk through the warriors shopping area, but there was no pressure to buy anything - it just seemed like the main exit route.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:04 am

Minor pet peeve, but the reason the pinyin Romanization of 西安 includes an apostrophe is because it is two characters, and there happen be dozens of single characters that = xian. Context almost always sorts this out, but if you include the apostrophe there is no doubt.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
This is a very helpful thread!

Does anyone have an accurate status on the metro connection to XIY airport? A bit of internet research said it should have opened in Dec 2018, but I can't find any evidence of it actually operating. Is there a revised launch date?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Deltus
This is a very helpful thread!

Does anyone have an accurate status on the metro connection to XIY airport? A bit of internet research said it should have opened in Dec 2018, but I can't find any evidence of it actually operating. Is there a revised launch date?
I was in Xi'an early December, 2018. At that time the Line 2 extension to the airport (from the North Railway Station) was not in operation. I have no idea what is the real status as of March 2019. That said, there are many airport shuttle buses linking the airport to various part of the city, for about 25 yuans.
If the existing Line 2 gets you to where you want to go, then simply take the airport shuttle bus to the North Railway Station, and transfer to Metro Line 2.
Deltus likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by allset2travel
I was in Xi'an early December, 2018. At that time the Line 2 extension to the airport (from the North Railway Station) was not in operation. I have no idea what is the real status as of March 2019. That said, there are many airport shuttle buses linking the airport to various part of the city, for about 25 yuans.
If the existing Line 2 gets you to where you want to go, then simply take the airport shuttle bus to the North Railway Station, and transfer to Metro Line 2.
Great, thanks for the pointers. I'll be trying to get to the Novotel, which is quite a few stops south of the North Railway Station. Is there a bus that goes directly there? I can't find a map of the bus routes anywhere, just a list of destinations, but can't work out which the best bus would be...
allset2travel likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Deltus
Great, thanks for the pointers. I'll be trying to get to the Novotel, which is quite a few stops south of the North Railway Station. Is there a bus that goes directly there? I can't find a map of the bus routes anywhere, just a list of destinations, but can't work out which the best bus would be...
Taxi.
Deltus likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:01 am

The apostrophe is also a good reminder that Xi'an is pronounced with two distinct syllables, not a dipthong.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I am not familiar with the buses. As moondog suggested, a taxi might be easier. Taxi in Xi'an is inexpensive. Driver will use meter. If not, just point at it.
Carry a card of your hotel address written in Chinese.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.