Shanghai disneyland

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:53 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by tentseller
Fake Chinese solid stone?
Lightweight, quick to apply, durable, less expensive.^ Great product
when you have to build a 500 ft tall castle.

Castle Veneer Stone
This faux stone cultured stone veneer is made of pumice and 425 Portland cement, in China there are only two factories produce faux stone by pumice.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Has anyone been recently?

Another Flyertalker and I are going to Shanghai in December and are thinking of going. We've both been to China; she has been to Shanghai, but this will be my first time in Shanghai (I've been to Beijing).
We arrive at PVG at about 9am on a Thursday, leave around 2am that Sunday (well early Monday morning I guess). My thought is to either go right away or at the end, since the park is close to PVG. Leaning towards the right away, perhaps arrive around 11am-noon.

According to Google maps, it looks like a 20-30 min drive. Other than taxi, does anyone have a recommendation on how to get between PVG and Disneyland?
According to their website, the Metro Line 11 goes straight to the park. But I can't figure out if there's an easy way to do metro between PVG and Disney, without it taking 2 hours.

And according to the park's website, they have a luggage storage (Y80/day):
https://www.shanghaidisneyresort.com...ggage-storage/

My thought is that the park will be less busy on a Thursday versus Sunday (I know the US Disney parks I've been to are that way), but if anyone knows better, I'd appreciate that too.
I figure the first day will be a wash anyway, so we might as well visit Disney. Seems like an easy way to adjust to Shanghai.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:44 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by aztimm
Has anyone been recently?

Another Flyertalker and I are going to Shanghai in December and are thinking of going. We've both been to China; she has been to Shanghai, but this will be my first time in Shanghai (I've been to Beijing).
We arrive at PVG at about 9am on a Thursday, leave around 2am that Sunday (well early Monday morning I guess). My thought is to either go right away or at the end, since the park is close to PVG. Leaning towards the right away, perhaps arrive around 11am-noon.

According to Google maps, it looks like a 20-30 min drive. Other than taxi, does anyone have a recommendation on how to get between PVG and Disneyland?
According to their website, the Metro Line 11 goes straight to the park. But I can't figure out if there's an easy way to do metro between PVG and Disney, without it taking 2 hours.

And according to the park's website, they have a luggage storage (Y80/day):
https://www.shanghaidisneyresort.com...ggage-storage/

My thought is that the park will be less busy on a Thursday versus Sunday (I know the US Disney parks I've been to are that way), but if anyone knows better, I'd appreciate that too.
I figure the first day will be a wash anyway, so we might as well visit Disney. Seems like an easy way to adjust to Shanghai.
I was there in May; I had a really great time. I was in Hong Kong and Shanghai, and I spent 2 days in Shanghai Disney Resort. I actually did a trip report - here's the post on Shanghai (including Shanghai Disney - and also Hong Kong Disneyland): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28225516-post16.html

I had one very light day and one very busy day - it seems reasonable that Thursday would be a good day for you to go. I took a taxi from PVG to my hotel - even with the driver getting confused finding my Disney hotel at night, it really wasn't very expensive. I recommend eating meals in the Disneytown area right outside the gates rather than inside the park - better food.

Feel free to respond here or private message me if you have any particular questions!
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I nearly forgot to update here...

We arrived at PVG around 9am on Thurs 7 Dec. Customs and Immigration weren't too bad, we made it through by about 9:30-9:45. I picked up a SIM card for my iPhone at a convenience shop and used an ATM to get some local cash. We chatted with an information desk gal, who told us that the best way to Disneyland was by cab, and she told us about what it should cost (it was slightly higher), I think about US$20 or so.

It is quite a haul from the cab drop off to the main gate. Everyone and everything has to go through security. Someone walked us over to their checked bags area, we left our bags, then entered the park at about 11am. It really wasn't too busy. Weather was decent, mostly sunny, but temp in the mid-40sF I'd guess.
As for rides and such, there aren't too many. Those there are seemed quite different from the other Disney parks; Pirates of the Caribbean was much more intense, and nearly everyone on the boat got at least a little wet. The Tron ride was amazing--probably one of the best Disney rides I've been on.
Lines for the rides weren't too bad, maybe 10-20 min. The food areas were extremely busy, mostly because not many were open.

After Disney, I just hopped on the metro to get to the Hilton. It took about an hour, I had to change once. The nice thing about getting on at Disney is that it is the first stop, so you'll get a seat. It did get quite crowded and I had to push to get out, but I've done it before in many corners of the world. From the metro station, it was about a 5-10 min walk to the Hilton, mostly because I didn't really know where I was going.

I've been to Disneyland (the original), Disneyworld (Orlando), Tokyo Disney (way back in 1996), Disneyland Paris, and now Shanghai. This one didn't seem to have as much in the park proper yet, but the cost was much lower than any of the others. The downtown Disney area (or whatever they call it) seemed about on par with Paris. My visit to Tokyo was so long ago I don't really remember much.
But I'd say if you're in Shanghai and have a day to spare, go ahead and check it out. Or if you arrive at PVG in the morning, then definitely since it isn't too far.
LapLap likes this.

Last edited by aztimm; Dec 21, 2017 at 8:14 am
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:50 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
My family was here for a week ( in Shanghai that is ) and exhausted the big city sights and zoo so on Friday we decided to give Disneyland a go. Like the previous poster we said , dang that price in dollars looks pretty good and easy by Metro to get there from any corner of the city.

We went on a non weekend and non Chinese holiday and thought wouldn't be crowded. Wrong, by Chinese standards not crowded but by American I'd say like a weekend. I'd hate to see this place on a crowded day. Agree Tron and Pirates were neat, the rest was very ordinary Disney. Much newer of course than the American versions, for the price a B+, for the variety of rides a D missing some classics I and my kids were expecting. Do your research on the rides there, and check them out on internet and be sure that the limited number are meeting your experience need for the price value. In hindsight we probably wouldn't have done it, but now we can say we did it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.