Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

China airport checkpoint procedures: things to watch out for

China airport checkpoint procedures: things to watch out for

Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:05 pm

To restate the rule, in case someone can't find it:

If it's 100Wh or below, you can pack it without prior approval. From 100Wh to 160Wh, you need the airline's approval, but you can't carry more than two power packs. Power packs over 160Wh are forbidden.

You'll have to convert mAh to Wh for your particular battery, since it depends on the voltage.

You also can't use your power pack on board.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 889
You also can't use your power pack on board.
First time I heard that one. Chinese rule or standard rule?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
First time I heard that one. Chinese rule or standard rule?
Chinese, they always say that in the safety announcements. I often ignore it, like i use to ignore the phone rule.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
But why would 4x50Wh packs be "safe", while 1x200Wh would not fly? If one goes up it very well might take others nearby with it.
They only allow two, not four, power banks.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
They only allow two, not four, power banks.
Two over 100Wh.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:06 pm

What's the word on battery cases (a la Mophie)?
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:43 pm

anybody? Do iPhone battery cases have to come off at security (hopefully they are allowed at all -- I heard one anecdote of somebody being forced to relinquish their Mophie case).
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davie355
anybody? Do iPhone battery cases have to come off at security (hopefully they are allowed at all -- I heard one anecdote of somebody being forced to relinquish their Mophie case).
China doesn't like any unlabeled battery packs. If it's not labeled as a size below 100Wh it's prohibited.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by davie355
Mine is one that comes from Taobao and is labelled as 200 kWh. So far so good, I pass through PVG on the average at least once a week, and occasionally go through PEK and CAN.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by ellyse

Mine is one that comes from Taobao and is labelled as 200 kWh. So far so good, I pass through PVG on the average at least once a week, and occasionally go through PEK and CAN.
Certainly not, but if it really does that say that, I would seriously question the safety of that thing. Someone playing around with Lithium batteries should know to attach a proper rating label.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by gpia
Certainly not, but if it really does that say that, I would seriously question the safety of that thing. Someone playing around with Lithium batteries should know to attach a proper rating label.
Sorry, I didnt have it with me and probably remembered wrongly. Anyway, it says 20000 M, whatever that might mean. My point is still that I get through Chinese airport security just fine.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, I didnt have it with me and probably remembered wrongly. Anyway, it says 20000 M, whatever that might mean. My point is still that I get through Chinese airport security just fine.
That's not a sensible label, either.

Now, 20,000 mAh is and is legal to fly. Could you have missed the rest of the label?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF

As others said, 20000mAh is fine. 100Wh is what the limit is but Chinese security may be stricter. I am uncertain if they allow 100Wh. I have been carrying two 20000mAh power banks with me without problems. 200KWh is definitely bad. If it exists, the weight will even be more than your checked luggage. It is 2000 times the 100Wh limit.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:05 pm

Maybe I am being paranoid, but I am headed to Beijing in a couple of days and was wanting to take my mobile printer with me. It is a little Epson inkjet. TSA says it can fly with me in the cabin (it has a lithium ion battery) as long as I take it out when I go through the line, like my laptop. I am beginning to worry about returning from Beijing, probably because I had a little battery pack confiscated last trip because it allegedly was not marked with the mAh. Would hate to lose a $200 printer.

Anyone know if this will be an issue? All my flights are AA so the weight of my carry on will not be an issue.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 466SHH
Maybe I am being paranoid, but I am headed to Beijing in a couple of days and was wanting to take my mobile printer with me. It is a little Epson inkjet. TSA says it can fly with me in the cabin (it has a lithium ion battery) as long as I take it out when I go through the line, like my laptop. I am beginning to worry about returning from Beijing, probably because I had a little battery pack confiscated last trip because it allegedly was not marked with the mAh. Would hate to lose a $200 printer.

Anyone know if this will be an issue? All my flights are AA so the weight of my carry on will not be an issue.
The battery is small enough to fly. The question is whether it's printed on the device. I wouldn't trust that Chinese airport security would accept the number printed in the manual.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.