Reload this Page >

China airport checkpoint procedures: things to watch out for

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China airport checkpoint procedures: things to watch out for

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2016, 3:44 am

Sorry to resurrect this, but are batteries still a problem? Do they apply these rules for transit pax? (I will transit at CAN en route from CGK to LAX next month.)
Old Feb 24, 2016, 3:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by greenery-travel
Sorry to resurrect this, but are batteries still a problem? Do they apply these rules for transit pax? (I will transit at CAN en route from CGK to LAX next month.)
If your luggage is checked through from one international flight to another, I'm guessing they wouldn't harrass you over a battery or two. Otherwise, carrying on is the path of least resistance.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by moondog
If your luggage is checked through from one international flight to another, I'm guessing they wouldn't harrass you over a battery or two. Otherwise, carrying on is the path of least resistance.
I am planning to carry on two power banks for my handphone; neither has the milliAmpHour capacity marked on it. Are these likely to get confiscated from my carryon bag?

Sidenote: Does anybody know whether there is an airside duty-free shop that sells Xiaomi phones in CAN?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 6:51 am

I am planning to carry on two power banks for my handphone; neither has the milliAmpHour capacity marked on it. Are these likely to get confiscated from my carryon bag?

Sidenote: Does anybody know whether there is an airside duty-free shop that sells Xiaomi phones in CAN?
High risk of having them confiscated when there is no mark about the capacity. Just lost (ie had to abandon) another battery in Beijing because of that (silly me) which I just had forgotten.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
High risk of having them confiscated when there is no mark about the capacity. Just lost (ie had to abandon) another battery in Beijing because of that (silly me) which I just had forgotten.
Were you a transit pax, or checking in at PEK? I am thinking of just printing my own labels showing the mAh ratings for each of my powerbanks.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:04 am

Were you a transit pax, or checking in at PEK? I am thinking of just printing my own labels showing the mAh ratings for each of my powerbanks.
Transit via PEK, but int-dom.

As much I'm aware, int-int security is using the same strictness, I wouldn't risk it. Not sure if self-printed labels would be fine enough. I guess it would be worth a shot if you can't check them in for whatever reason.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Also, liquids have to be cosmetics only, in addition to being under 100 ml.
Overzealous guy wanted to confiscate my hand sanitizer in Wuyishan airport despite it being ok in already a number of international airports by then.
Came back from Luxembourg with a tube of mustard (gift from friend's mother), forgot I had to transit in PEK to get back to Shanghai. Bluffed the old guy that it was face cream, luckily he was an old uncle who presumably doesn't use makeup nor read French. Haha.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 1:27 pm

Kinda glad I found this thread. Really helpful tips. ^
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, HH DIA, SPG Plat
I have to dig out this old thread because I am still unable to figure out some details about the whole battery issue.

I have understood that it is crucial that the capacity is stated on the case of a power bank. But what about other devices? Mobile WiFi routers for example. I want to carry one that does not state its capacity on the outside. But neither does my phone, to be honest. And, even more important, I have to carry an NFC reader for a glucose sensor on my arm (I have diabetes), which does not have anything about its battery written on it, either. And the same is true for all blood sugar testing devices. All of them obviously have a battery.

Is there any problem carrying these things through China airport security?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by LennartH
I have to dig out this old thread because I am still unable to figure out some details about the whole battery issue.

I have understood that it is crucial that the capacity is stated on the case of a power bank. But what about other devices? Mobile WiFi routers for example. I want to carry one that does not state its capacity on the outside. But neither does my phone, to be honest. And, even more important, I have to carry an NFC reader for a glucose sensor on my arm (I have diabetes), which does not have anything about its battery written on it, either. And the same is true for all blood sugar testing devices. All of them obviously have a battery.

IIRC, there's a separate thread somewhere focusing on batteries/powerbanks only, but I can't seem to find it.

Either way: Mobile wifi routers & phones & nfc glucose devices are no problem. Have carried all three on planes within China (the latter being carried by my companion).

Other things in my hand luggage over the past weeks with built-in/non-removable lithium batteries: a JBL boombox, underwater headphones, noise canceling headphones, an action cam, a shaver and a tablet. Not ever a single question asked.

Don't overthink it, they are really only out for powerbanks (and lighters!)
LennartH likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by LennartH

I've never encountered one. The only thing they care about is portable powerbanks. I've gone through PVG with a few dozen different types of Li-Ion devices and they couldn't possibly care less. I always just keep any powerbanks I'm carrying in the outer pocket of my carry on and I'm ready to hand it over for them to look at when I get to security.

I've always found the process hilarious. Last time I was at PVG I had one carry on bag completely filled with Li-Ion powered electronic devices and batteries for cameras that barely even got a courtesy look but they read every letter of the label on my Anker battery packs.
LennartH likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RumPatrol
I've never encountered one. The only thing they care about is portable powerbanks. I've gone through PVG with a few dozen different types of Li-Ion devices and they couldn't possibly care less. I always just keep any powerbanks I'm carrying in the outer pocket of my carry on and I'm ready to hand it over for them to look at when I get to security.

I've always found the process hilarious. Last time I was at PVG I had one carry on bag completely filled with Li-Ion powered electronic devices and batteries for cameras that barely even got a courtesy look but they read every letter of the label on my Anker battery packs.
Very few battery powered devices will have an internal pack over the 100Wh limit.

I don't understand why it's about individual packs and not the total, though.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Very few battery powered devices will have an internal pack over the 100Wh limit.

I don't understand why it's about individual packs and not the total, though.
My completely unsubstantiated theory is it is because you see so many knockoff’s sold on the street in China. The knockoffs may not be made particularly well and could be a safety hazard.

I’m just glad that the last flight I had, they didn’t make me take the umbrella I forgot was in the bottom of my bag, out.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onuhistorian0116

My completely unsubstantiated theory is it is because you see so many knockoff’s sold on the street in China. The knockoffs may not be made particularly well and could be a safety hazard.

I’m just glad that the last flight I had, they didn’t make me take the umbrella I forgot was in the bottom of my bag, out.
But why would 4x50Wh packs be "safe", while 1x200Wh would not fly? If one goes up it very well might take others nearby with it.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
But why would 4x50Wh packs be "safe", while 1x200Wh would not fly? If one goes up it very well might take others nearby with it.
Because, one morning Mao looked up at the sun, and realized that it is important to be judicious wiht energy use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.