Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ten year tourist and business visa - effective 12 Nov 2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sharktums
Is there a way to ask the Department of State NOT to punch holes in the old, expired passport? Or does China understand if a hole is punched through the Visa?
They only punch the front. We have made IIRC 3 trips at this point with the visa in the old, punched passport. No problems with immigration, one airline clerk wanted to deny boarding because she couldn't find the visa (hey, we hand you passports with a second passport rubber-banded to them, doesn't it occur to you that there's a reason for that?? And the rubber band goes through the second passport well inside but not in the center. Doesn't that suggest there's something special about that page? Why don't you look there first rather than paging through everything to get there?), a couple of hotels in China that had the same problem.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I've got everything filled out for the 10-year China visa except the airline ticket. On AA I found a ticket that would fit with my hotel reservations and put it on hold. I thought AA gave 5 day holds, but just see a 1 day hold (maybe the 5 day was for mile tickets, or maybe they've changed?).

But my real question is - I can't see any way to print out the detail without a very clear "HOLD" someplace on it? Am I missing something?

Maybe I should be actually purchasing the ticket, printing out the detail, and then immediately cancelling (all within the 24-hour window)?

Last edited by Romelle; Nov 5, 2018 at 9:49 am
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Booked to go to China for the first time - as a tourist - Dec 31 - for a 1.5 weeks. Will go to at least Beijing and Shanghai.

I think I prefer to get a 10 year multi-entry visa rather than a single entry visa. The question is what is the processing time for the 2 respective visas - I presume it is less for the single entry visa.
I want to be sure that we can get the visa in time for our trip.

BUT: Going from Canada to Hawaii in a few days, return on Nov 25. We have a Canadian passport, which we need on our Hawaii trip -so we can not apply for a Chinese visa until return from Hawaii.

We live in Ottawa - so I presume we can apply directly to the Chinese embassy here?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
We live in Ottawa - so I presume we can apply directly to the Chinese embassy here?
Yes. Processing times and costs are the same. I believe they're giving the 10 year multiple entry visas by default now.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
10-Year Visa Received!

I'm happy to announce I now have a 10-year China visa firmly fastened in my passport.

I went through China Visa Solutions (CVS). I'm in MN and the nearest China consulate is in Chicago.

Followed the instructions on their quite clear web site. Used all suggested responses in this thread from moondog and Majuki.

CVS first has one email the filled-out application to them for review (it is on their website, and one can type directly into it). I did so. They reviewed I think the same day and sent back, having caught one omission of mine. They also explained an item about which I was unsure.

I very carefully reread EVERYTHING. Interestingly enough, I caught two more mistakes we both had missed. The form requires one to sometimes type dates YMD and sometimes MDY. In going back and forth, I'd managed to put an entirely wrong year for Passport Expiration. I also caught a typo misspelling of a country. This is not to take anything away from CVS, as their review was very helpful. But just to warn people not to get complacent after the initial review.

I nervously assembled everything required, including my passport:
Actual U.S. passport
One 2x2 photo with a white background
China visa application form, please type on computer
Airline confirmation to and out from China
A hotel reservation with your name in China
CVS order form

Went to nearest FEDEX, paid them $12 (shipping, fees and FEDEX envelope). The day after China Visa received the package, they took it to the China Consulate. Four working days after that, I was alerted that China Visa had it back (but didn't know if it was successful or just rejected for something). CVS then told me they were sending the packet to me, but still didn't tell me all was OK. I received first a FEDEX notice as to delivery date and time (something like 7am to 7pm) and resolved to stay at home that entire day. This date was 4 working days from when CVS said they'd sent it. Then two days before it was due, the date was moved up a day. But still the long hours. However, the morning it was due, the time window was narrowed to 3 hours. I could actually trace the FEDEX truck on my computer as in moved through my neighborhood. It arrived minutes before the beginning of the time window.

I nervously tore the thin envelope open. WHEW! Passport included!! Visa in passport!!! 10-year validity!!!!

Besides the initial $12 for FEDEX mailing from me to CVS, I paid another $220:

China Visa Fee $140
CVS Fee $59
FEDEX return $23

I did not request (pay for) any special speed options.

I did then cancel my hotel reservation.

I'm thrilled to have this visa. I've grand-niece and grand-nephew Marines stationed on Okinawa. This trip plan is to fly to Shanghai, enjoy that for a bit, and then take a cruise which stops one day on Okinawa. And then ... ??

Thank you all who responded to my earlier posts!!

Last edited by Romelle; Nov 30, 2018 at 9:50 am
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by Romelle
I'm happy to announce I now have a 10-year visa firmly fastened in my passport.
Glad things worked out!
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Romelle
I went through China Visa Solutions (CVS). I'm in MN and the nearest China consulate is in Chicago.
I used this agency as well. I don't even live in the Chicago consulate's region, but they said it would be no problem. It wasn't.

I was very impressed with their service! An agent had me send pictures of our applications (my wife and I) to make sure they were good before sending them in.

CVS Fee $59
Did their fee go up to $59? I paid $49 in September (2018). Even so, it is very good value! Most agencies charge at least $99.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:41 am

We are US Citizens and are staying a week in PVG. We are then going to fly to HKG then back to the US. We are still waiting for flight award availability from HKG to the US. Do we need the flight from HKG for the visa or is the flight from PVG to HKG sufficient?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:37 am

They only care about the flights in and out of China.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by JPDM
They only care about the flights in and out of China.
By China you mean mainland China, right? Honestly, I am not up to where China/HKG stand but I know it is a touchy subject to some. So if I have documentation to HKG I am good.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:57 pm

I have applied for visas strictly with flights to and from HK. While a flight HK-Shanghai is an international flight but one can cross to China by foot.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:27 pm

Just to be fussy, China carefully doesn't call links between the Mainland and Taiwan, HK and Macau "international." They're usually referred to as "regional" or sometimes "cross-border" links
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:14 pm

Does J2 quality for a 10 year visa? Attending several trade fairs in China in the next few months/years so was wondering if it's possible to apply for a longer visa.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by blue2007
Does J2 quality for a 10 year visa? Attending several trade fairs in China in the next few months/years so was wondering if it's possible to apply for a longer visa.
I don't think so, but M does.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
I don't think so, but M does.
Not sure if I can get M if you attend trade fairs as a journalist. Is that possible?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.